Olson30

Ring of Honor: Brian Billick

Anybody that is saying Billick did great in 2002 look at the roster. There was a lot of talent on that team. 7-9 with that team is far from working miracles.

I loved me some Siragusa and McCrary, but neither are HoF players. Ogden may have been the best LT in the history of the game. He was a beast and a huge part of the Ravens success for a number of years. Siragusa and McCrary were great high motor Ravens and I consider true Ravens because they fit the model of what the ravens look for on defense. Lunch pail guys who are not worried about setting records but getting the job done.

Yeah, exactly. Siragusa and McCrary were very good players and the Ravens might not have won that Super Bowl without them. But it's kind of like saying Cal Ripken's in the Hall of Fame, so I wonder when Rick Dempsey and Al Bumbry will make it.

I'm on the pro-Billick side, but seriously to this last comment? 2011 Defensive Player of the Year was lost for half the season. Ray missed 10 games. Ngata limping around most of the year. Webb out for the year. Hell, at one point SIX of the starting defense was out injured. I had ZERO expectations for a winning season this year, and yet the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Harbaugh deserves a boatload of credit for this season.

I agree with this ... I like Harbaugh also!

Would anyone besides Tony be up in arms if he was added to the ROH? That alone should say a lot...most Ravens fans think or want him in there.

Another feather in his cap is the coaches he graduated to other HC jobs. Lewis, Nolan, Del Rio, Singletary...I might be missing someone.

I think an immeasurable quality of Billick was his ability to change the environment of the Ravens. During the Marchibroda years we were very much an expansion team. Under Billick we became the Ravens we still are today.

Mike Smith and Rex Ryan as well.

End of the day he coached the team for a very long time. Not that common in the sport anymore. He was the HC for the first Super Bowl run and he had some great teams. His downfalls are plentiful too, he was way too much of a players coach, the whole 'boller thing..." etc. but I will also say that our teams over the past 5 years have been far more talented than the bulk of the teams he had.

I'd be happy with Billick getting into the ROH, but I would feel no loss if he was never in either.

The Billick hate absolutely baffles me.

I'm not the biggest John Harbaugh fan in the world, but he's clearly already done enough to get in the ROH no matter what happens from this point forward.This is such a spoiled fanbase. Will be interesting to see if there is revisionist history on him and his ROH resume should he struggle the rest of his career.

BTW....people need to stop laying Boller at Billick's feet. The Ravens had a deal in place and wanted Leftwich. Ozzie got desperate and pulled the trigger on Boller after Minnesota screwed us over. Now, I don't doubt that Billick was in on the decision to trade up for Boller but thats ultimately on Ozzie and his panicking, something he rarely does, after the Leftwich deal fell through. Now, Leftwich wasn't a difference maker at QB either, something people would have undoubtedly blamed Billick for had he played in Baltimore, but he was better than Boller. He likely would have got the Ravens into the playoffs from '03-'05.

Edited by ccbird

T

The Billick hate absolutely baffles me.

I'm not the biggest John Harbaugh fan in the world, but he's clearly already done enough to get in the ROH no matter what happens from this point forward.This is such a spoiled fanbase. Will be interesting to see if there is revisionist history on him and his ROH resume should he struggle the rest of his career.

I don't think it's hate for Billick, at least not on my part. I think he was a decent head coach. I just don't think he warrants a spot in the Ravens Ring of Honor. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think he was the right coach at the time for the Ravens. His act wore thin and it was time to move on though.

T

I don't think it's hate for Billick, at least not on my part. I think he was a decent head coach. I just don't think he warrants a spot in the Ravens Ring of Honor. Like I said earlier in this thread, I think he was the right coach at the time for the Ravens. His act wore thin and it was time to move on though.

I think that is a perfectly reasonable take on Billick. If the Ravens want to model their ROH after Dallas, you don't but Billick in. If they want to model it after Washington's, you do.

T

Some people don't have the mental capacity to know the difference between hate and a differing opinion on a coach's suitability to be put into a team's ROH. It's the usual character so nothing lost. Billck had his moments, but so did Joe Altobelli. I don't want him in the Orioles Hall of Fame just like I don't want Billick in the ROH. It's that simple. I'm fine if some people think he belongs. I just don't agree.

Some people don't have the mental capacity to know the difference between hate and a differing opinion on a coach's suitability to be put into a team's ROH. It's the usual character so nothing lost. Billck had his moments, but so did Joe Altobelli. I don't want him in the Orioles Hall of Fame just like I don't want Billick in the ROH. It's that simple. I'm fine if some people think he belongs. I just don't agree.

I dunno if I'd put Billick in the Altobelli/Bob Brenly mold. Talk about two guys who inherited a great situation. They barely had to work. I think I'd equate him to Hank Bauer. A lot of parallels there. And while people will generally think fondly of Bauer, he's not going to be looked at like Weaver in terms of franchise best.

I dunno if I'd put Billick in the Altobelli/Bob Brenly mold. Talk about two guys who inherited a great situation. They barely had to work. I think I'd equate him to Hank Bauer. A lot of parallels there. And while people will generally think fondly of Bauer, he's not going to be looked at like Weaver in terms of franchise best.

I understand what you are saying, but Billick inherited most of the pieces to possibly the best defense of all time.

This is a point many people forget. We returned to the playoffs the year after winning the SuperBowl WITHOUT our all-pro running back. Hell, not only that, but we couldn't even find anyone better than Bam friggin Morris. I think we had a great run that year, considering this point.

Bam Morris played for the Ravens in 1996-1997 not 2001

Anybody that is saying Billick did great in 2002 look at the roster. There was a lot of talent on that team. 7-9 with that team is far from working miracles.

They lost what 5 or 6 offensive starters and 9 on defense from the year before? And went from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Ray Lewis (in his prime) missed 11 games. They had Jeff Blake and Chris Redman starting at quarterback. They weren't the '72 Dolphins. 7-9 was pretty good, could have been 8-8 but they went for the win in the last game of the season at Pittsburgh instead of going for OT.

Billick had his failings, but 2002 wasn't one of them.

They lost what 5 or 6 offensive starters and 9 on defense from the year before? And went from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Ray Lewis (in his prime) missed 11 games. They had Jeff Blake and Chris Redman starting at quarterback. They weren't the '72 Dolphins. 7-9 was pretty good, could have been 8-8 but they went for the win in the last game of the season at Pittsburgh instead of going for OT.

I think Camp Cream puff had a lot to do with injuries during the year. Billicks years seemed to be littered with injuries.

They did lose a lot, but they were replaced by some pretty good talent. Ed Reed, Ed Hartwell, Kelly Gregg all became starters. McAlister and Boulware were still here. There were other solid players on the defense like Cornell Brown, Adalius Thomas and Will Demps. I'm not saying Billick did a bad job with this team, but with the ability to look back on that season, it was not as remarkable as it first appeared.