Sign in to follow this  
paulcoates

Ravens Draft 2013

3. Fluker absolutely can't play LT. he's not good in Pass protection at all. We need a pass protector on that left side even if he's below average in run blocking. Fluker is a very good RT prospect but Oher absolutely can't play LT. If this were a year later, when IMO Oher is likely gone( I don;t think we resign him) I would be all for drafting Fluker as our RT but not this year. Not when we have greater needs than a future RT.

I agree with the vast majority of this post and, as you know, your posts in general. I just want to make one point about the DJ Fluker/Michael Oher discussion.

I don't necessarily agree that Michael Oher "can't play left tackle". After all, he was the the starting LT for the Ravens the entire regular season last year, and that team was good enough to win the AFC North and make the playoffs.

I do agree of course that he's not played the position as well as anyone might have hoped to this point. To be clear, he did not have a good season last year. Not close. But I will just point out two factors to consider before totally writing him off as a LT in 2013.

1. This is a contract year, and I don't think that can be discounted. If the Ravens were to take Fluker as the BPA and give Oher another shot at LT, it wouldn't be totally surprising to see Oher elevate his game at one of the game's most highly-paid and highly-coveted positions, especially only for one season and with a UFA contract hanging in the balance. He'll have every incentive to do just that.

Dannell Ellerbe, Paul Kruger and Carey Williams serve as evidence of how an inconsistent player can elevate in a contract year. I don't think any of those guys would have been missed at this time last offseason. Now, these three are among the best defensive UFAs available in free agency. I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

2. Michael Oher didn't get much time with Jim Caldwell calling plays, and I think that's significant. He was there for the bad home loss to Denver, as well as the convincing win over the Giants. We all know how things changed come playoff time. It couldn't have gone better with McKinnie stepping in for the championship run.

But my biggest criticism of Cam Cameron during his time here was that he put way too much pressure on his offensive line, and that a better offensive coordinator would scheme around his talent - not only at the quarterback and receiver positions, but especially in pass protection. And I think that Cam's weakness is Jim Caldwell's strength.

So while I totally agree that Oher has been an average player at the left tackle position to date, and wouldn't have any problem if the Ravens kept him on the right side, the reality is that truly elite left tackles are not easy to find, especially picking so late in the first round.

If the solution is to re-sign Bryant McKinnie, I just think that's an equally serious roll of the dice, given his history. Do you want to commit to him financially again? For four games, he was able to dominate and key our run to a championship. But do you trust him for what you hope is 20 games? I love what he did for us, but I'm not sure I truly trust him over the course of a season. I think there's something to be said for reliability. For knowing you can trust a guy to show up every practice, every snap, and give it 100%. And that's one area in which Michael Oher is almost certainly better than B-Mac; a guy who as an aside can clearly get the job done in pass protection, but who also gives you nothing in the run game, even when he is playing "well" by his standards.

Just throwing that out there. Dominant left tackles don't grow on trees, and don't come cheap. If we can retain McKinnie at an affordable rate, that's one thing. But I'm not convinced it will be that easy.

This will be an interesting situation to watch. It's absolutely critical to our success that we get it right.

I agree with the vast majority of this post and, as you know, your posts in general. I just want to make one point about the DJ Fluker/Michael Oher discussion.

I don't necessarily agree that Michael Oher "can't play left tackle". After all, he was the the starting LT for the Ravens the entire regular season last year, and that team was good enough to win the AFC North and make the playoffs.

I do agree of course that he's not played the position as well as anyone might have hoped to this point. To be clear, he did not have a good season last year. Not close. But I will just point out two factors to consider before totally writing him off as a LT in 2013.

1. This is a contract year, and I don't think that can be discounted. If the Ravens were to take Fluker as the BPA and give Oher another shot at LT, it wouldn't be totally surprising to see Oher elevate his game at one of the game's most highly-paid and highly-coveted positions, especially only for one season and with a UFA contract hanging in the balance. He'll have every incentive to do just that.

Dannell Ellerbe, Paul Kruger and Carey Williams serve as evidence of how an inconsistent player can elevate in a contract year. I don't think any of those guys would have been missed at this time last offseason. Now, these three are among the best defensive UFAs available in free agency. I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

2. Michael Oher didn't get much time with Jim Caldwell calling plays, and I think that's significant. He was there for the bad home loss to Denver, as well as the convincing win over the Giants. We all know how things changed come playoff time. It couldn't have gone better with McKinnie stepping in for the championship run.

But my biggest criticism of Cam Cameron during his time here was that he put way too much pressure on his offensive line, and that a better offensive coordinator would scheme around his talent - not only at the quarterback and receiver positions, but especially in pass protection. And I think that Cam's weakness is Jim Caldwell's strength.

So while I totally agree that Oher has been an average player at the left tackle position to date, and wouldn't have any problem if the Ravens kept him on the right side, the reality is that truly elite left tackles are not easy to find, especially picking so late in the first round.

If the solution is to re-sign Bryant McKinnie, I just think that's an equally serious roll of the dice, given his history. Do you want to commit to him financially again? For four games, he was able to dominate and key our run to a championship. But do you trust him for what you hope is 20 games? I love what he did for us, but I'm not sure I truly trust him over the course of a season. I think there's something to be said for reliability. For knowing you can trust a guy to show up every practice, every snap, and give it 100%. And that's one area in which Michael Oher is almost certainly better than B-Mac; a guy who as an aside can clearly get the job done in pass protection, but who also gives you nothing in the run game, even when he is playing "well" by his standards.

Just throwing that out there. Dominant left tackles don't grow on trees, and don't come cheap. If we can retain McKinnie at an affordable rate, that's one thing. But I'm not convinced it will be that easy.

This will be an interesting situation to watch. It's absolutely critical to our success that we get it right.

Oher is a terrible left tackle. This is a fact. Can he play there? Of course, I could play there...anyone "could" play there. Doesn't mean they will do it well and not get our QB killed in the process. Kyle Boller started at QB for 4 years. Does that mean he was a good QB and the man for the job? Of course not, and just because Oher started at LT ( and played poorly) means the same thing right now as to his capability....nothing.

He is a servicable right tackle. He doesn't need to deal with the speed he can't handle on the left side. He was downright dominate over there in his rookie year before the musical chairs started.

The experiment with Oher at LT is over. The last 4 years proved he can't cut it on that side despite the FO trying to stick him there come hell or high water. And they did, year after year. Gave him every chance to improve and earn the job. But he didn't, because he just can't cut it on the Blind Side unless it is in a movie.

For me, I see the Ravens re-signing Ellerbe, now that Joe is done. I think the only guys we lose are Kruger, and Cary Williams and possibly Leach. Boldin will be back without question and believe it or not, I think Reed comes back. That being said, I think we will go DE or S at 32.

I'm still sticking with my Tank Carradine pick at 32. I think this will be a "Jamal Lewis" pick for Ozzie. Carradine would have been THE top DE available had he not tore his ACL. Again, nobody is talking about this guy. But, just wait. He would be a HUGE steal. Risk? Yes. But, so was Jamal at #5. A close second would be S Matt Elam. I think he would be a Baltimore Raven through and through. Heck, we may be able to get Elam in the first and Carradine in the 2nd. Given the Ravens draft history, that would not surprise me in the least.

Also, don't look for Ozzie to take a LT early. He's only done it with Ogden, Oher, and Adam Terry. It's not going to happen. The more realistic options are guys like Dave Quessenberry or Brennan Williams in the mid-rounds.

I fully expect the Ravens to take a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. I'd love to get Ryan Swope, but his stock is soaring after running a 4.38 at the combine. Keep an eye on CB Dwayne Gratz here, as well. You can never have enough corners.

Don't look for Ozzie to fill every need we have right down the line. Every year, fans get all upset because he didn't take this player in this round. It drives me nuts. Just pull a George Costanza. Whatever we think, Ozzie usually does the opposite. :)

Edited by Flacco Machado
  • Upvote 1

Care to back that up with evidence of some kind?

FilmStudy, who posts here occasionaly, pretty regularly gave Oher mediocre- poor grades throughout the year. It looks like he hasn't done his OL season evaluation yet but I would bet on Oher getting a poor grade.

Also, I can't find anything through google but I believe I remember reading somewhere that Oher was one of the lower graded LT this year from one of those sites like PFF or FO.

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/ken_mckusick/

The only evidence I need re: Oher at LT is that we didn't look anywhere near a SB champion team with him at left, and once he went back to right, the offense was significantly improved.

Another name i'll throw out is Margus Hunt. Could be an immediate Kruger replacement.

Even though he is a physical beast, I read somewhere that Hunt "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane". FWIW

Even though he is a physical beast, I read somewhere that Hunt "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane". FWIW

I mean he isn't terrible on film but still hasn't put it altogether. Obviously if he had he had put together the play and stats to back up his physical attribute he would be a lock to go top 10.

Todd McShay‏@McShay13

Pound-for-pound,Ogletree is one of five-best athletes and football players this class has to offer. Shake my head in amazement every tape.

Ogletree hits hard. I like him but I thought I heard he doesn't fit our scheme.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I still think our personnel over the long term is better served moving back to a 4-3. Especially with the loss of Lewis: Ellerbe, McClellan/Upshaw, Suggs actually don't make a terrible 4-3 set up, with Suggs being Boulware. Ngata would look fine at DT next to a bigger body and McPhee/Jones could play ends with other guys rotating. We could cut Jameel if we think Upshaw could handle the weak side and use the money to get a better DE or DT if we don't find something in the draft.

I'm not so sure we're a lock to take a MLB with our pick as the pundits would expect. I agree with those leaning DL particularly. And S/WR are areas I think could be addressed.

WR in particular is an area that we could use some cap savings. Boldin/Jones take up 11 mill on the cap right now. I'm not saying cut them for this year, but I am saying not needing their services for guys on rookie contracts down the road would be a huge help to our cap situation.

MCSHAY Mock 3.0

Manti Te'o

Baltimore Ravens (10-6)

COLLEGE: Notre Dame

HT: 6-1?

WT: 241

POS: LB

Analysis: The questions about his ability to play all three downs in the NFL were magnified by a 4.83 40 at the combine.

He has great instincts and plays faster than his 40 time. But whether he can hold up as an every-down player in the NFL is the question that a lot of teams will be mulling over -- especially those with ILB/MLB needs in the bottom third of first round, including the Giants, Bears, Texans and Ravens.

The Ravens also could consider Swearinger, Elam or John Cyprien at safety, Trufant at corner and center Travis Frederick.

He's Frederick's report card on ESPN ...Pretty impressive ...But I expect us to go with Gino!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30283/travis-frederick

MCSHAY Mock 3.0

He's Frederick's report card on ESPN ...Pretty impressive ...But I expect us to go with Gino!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30283/travis-frederick

Yeah. I think its just evidence of national media forgetting the realities of a team. Unless they have lost faith in Gino being the replacement, which hasn't been the word from the Castle, the Ravens don't use a first rounder on a C. The only exception would be is if they want to move KO back outside to Tackle in the long term and figure they can get a C/G type.

I also don't see us taking a corner in the first round UNLESS we think A) Webb's injury is really going to hurt him in the long run or B) Jimmy Smith's future isn't at corner and they want to move him to safety or C) the corner we draft is someone who could play at safety.

I also don't think Swearinger or Cypien go until mid-2nd.

Finally, I really hope and we don't take Teo. I don't think we will.

I don't put any stock in mocks that are predicting the Ravens draft a "smart" but less physically gifted ILB at 32. The Ravens aren't the kind of team that looks to replace a specific player in the draft, they draft the best available player. Bad teams try and draft to replace specific players with specific skills. I think those predictions are lazy by the mock drafters.

Sadly I think the Steelers draft Austin to replace Wallace.

See what I did there?