DrLev

Smoking banned at OPACY

Per the Baltimore Sun, the MSA has banned smoking in both OPACY and M&T Bank Stadium, effective March 4th. They're figuring out a system for a designated smoking area outside of the stadium gates (though not within 25 feet of any entrance to the Stadium).

LINK

OPACY has been one of only 10 MLB parks that still allowed smoking to this point.

Not to interject too much opinion, but I support this move 100%.

Per the Baltimore Sun, the MSA has banned smoking in both OPACY and M&T Bank Stadium, effective March 4th. They're figuring out a system for a designated smoking area outside of the stadium gates (though not within 25 feet of any entrance to the Stadium).

LINK

OPACY has been one of only 10 MLB parks that still allowed smoking to this point.

Not to interject too much opinion, but I support this move 100%.

I always found it funny that the concourse, which is enclosed for the most part, was okay, but the seating bowl was not. Of course, if there's a decent crowd its near impossible to not be subjected to second hand smoke in the bowl, but still. Just kinda funny.

I am an 'on again,off again' smoker (currently on, booooo) I understand this move. I always feel bad smoking around other people and find it disturbing when other smokers are discourteous to non smokers. In short hopefully I quit again so I won't need to worry about this.

• Upvote 1

LINK

Not to interject too much opinion, but I support this move 100%.[/QUOTE]

That a way to stay neutral!!!!:smile11:

I am an 'on again,off again' smoker (currently on, booooo) I understand this move. I always feel bad smoking around other people and find it disturbing when other smokers are discourteous to non smokers. In short hopefully I quit again so I won't need to worry about this.

I've been off since 2000, with a few lapses now and then (none since like 2004). And I quit in the weirdest pseudo cold turkey way possible. I was living in a dorm, and got crazy sick. While sick I ran out, and wasn't able to go get more. By the time I was better, I was down to bumming like one or two a day, from there it was practically easier to stop than continue. One of those rare instances when getting sick is a good thing.

How will this be implemented with the teams? Is someone like Jim Leland going to forced to not smoke during all games at Camden Yards? If caught, will they be disciplined? Just curious.

... or Earl still managing. He would have been miserable.

Earl would have just went in the hallway to the dugout and hid from camera view. It is like concerts where there is no smoking allowed, the guy on stage can do what he wants.

Like he'd stop. He went up the tunnel for a reason, and he'd just keep doing that.

Beat me. Tunnel was the word I was thinking of, was having a brain lapse and had to type hallway to the dugout because for the life of me I couldnt pull the word from my head.:bangwall:

Finally! I'm surprised it took them this long. With the big crowds last fall the smoke was really stifling on the upper concourse.

Of course, they are going to need to train stadium staff to enforce this. A lot of people are still going to try to smoke on the upper level, especially if the cops/staff in that area are smokers too.

Also, this bit from the article is rich...

“I consider this discrimination,” wrote Hemmeter, who has had his seat license for 15 years, in an email.

It is discrimination indeed! They are discriminating against carcinogens.

• Upvote 1

Good. I support this 100%

Nothing kills the mood on Eutaw Street than being around people blowing smoke in or around my general direction. As far as a designated smoking area outside the park, I say: tough beans. If a smoker want to see the O's, they can choose to be without a cigarette for a few hours. I guarantee it won't kill them. Stop being a coward and deal with a few hours of discomfort.