Greg

Ravens have agreed to a new contract with QB Joe Flacco.

Two things to mull over:

-If the Ravens win another Super Bowl with Flacco at the helm, then absolutely he's worth every penny of that $120 million.

-If Flacco had been signed to a 5 year $80 million contract and proceeded to stink up the joint, it's not like anyone here would be like "oh thank goodness we only wasted $80 million on Flacco instead of $120 million". Obviously how we look at this contract will depend mostly on how the team does over the next few years.

But you keep saying he didn't deserve the deal, to which I and many others have admitted he doesn't in a vacuum. But these are unique circumstances. So what should the Ravens have done differently?

Scroll down, already discussed that.

I find it comical the Ravens defense is described as aging and over the hill, but when Flacco is brought into the discussion they suddenly carry the team. I can't wait for the next 6 years of 'Flacco is over paid' comments which are sure to come.

I think one thing people (the national audience at least) seems to be forgetting is Flacco's age, specifically as it compares to the other QB's in the league. Flacco just turned 28.

Peyton Manning will be 37 in a few weeks. Tom Brady will be 36 in August. Drew Brees just turned 34. Eli Manning just turned 32. Aaron Rodgers will turn 30 at the end of the year. That's what most would consider the top end class of QB's. After these guys, what QB's are you giving 100+ million? I think it's premature to put any of the "new wave" QB's into that distinction.

Flacco is 28 and just won Superbowl MVP after setting or tying several postseason records. He's won as many playoff games as Peyton Manning already. Regardless of his stats in the regular season, you have to admit he can make any throw on the field, and clearly can handle playing under pressure (unlike say Tony Romo). He was stuck with Cam Cameron for all but about a quarter of a season/playoffs, which not coincidentally was the best strech of his career and one of the best stretches of any QB ever.

What more do people want from the guy?

• Upvote 1

Scroll down, already discussed that.

Got it.

To answer his question, for you! They could have let him hit the market to set his worth. They could have played hard ball, explaining to him he's not as good as Manning, Brees, Rodgers and Brady and shouldn't make more then them. They caved and gave him what he wanted, which IMO is more then he is worth. But then again I think most of them are grossly over paid!

First off, he would have never hit the market in its truest sense. A non-exclusive franchise tag would have required 2 first rounders for a team to even negotiate with him, which it was rumored through legit sources that teams were considering doing even BEFORE he won the SB. And after 2013, barring a season which he tanks, the price would have been about the same. Maybe they would have saved a couple million, maybe they end up paying a couple more.

You say he's not as good as Manning, Brees, Brady and Rogers. He beat two of them this year, and has beat Brees in 2010.

So we agree he is slightly overpaid for the QB he has been throughout his career, but based on his accomplishments and hardware, Flacco forced the Ravens hand.

Bottom line is we kept our franchise QB, who is 28 and still improving.

Got it.

First off, he would have never hit the market in its truest sense. A non-exclusive franchise tag would have required 2 first rounders for a team to even negotiate with him, which it was rumored through legit sources that teams were considering doing even BEFORE he won the SB. And after 2013, barring a season which he tanks, the price would have been about the same. Maybe they would have saved a couple million, maybe they end up paying a couple more.

You say he's not as good as Manning, Brees, Brady and Rogers. He beat two of them this year, and has beat Brees in 2010.

So we agree he is slightly overpaid for the QB he has been throughout his career, but based on his accomplishments and hardware, Flacco forced the Ravens hand.

And it was done without the implication of the tag to the rest of the team.... The Ravens needed Flacco to deal to keep most of the rest of the team intact.

Ah..... I remember the days when the Ravens section of this board used to be really, really good.

Ravens fans, at least most of them, understand Joe's value. Most outsiders, who don't watch him play every week but are in fantasy football leagues, do not. That and people hate to admit they are wrong. So people who had the preconceived notion that Flacco was not very good, couldn't win a big game, etc, instead of manning up they still find a way to discredit him. Even some Ravens fans fall into that category.

Someone earlier said it best, one of the top 2-3 organizations in the NFL, are the ones who made the decision to pay Joe what they paid Joe. That is enough for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Got it.

They paid him what they had to to keep him, not neccessary what he is worth compared to others. Who will sooner or later, pass him by. He picked a great time to become a FA, winning the SB gave him even more leverage. I understand why they paid him what they did and why they had to. I just don't think he's worth that. Honestly, I don't think anyone is worth that to play a game.

Edited by mark_beckens

You know what's kinda funny?

We're basically arguing about a difference of 3-4 million (the amount offered before the season and what he ended up with). And he's only the highest paid by 100,000 dollars. It's almost more a symbolic gesture.

They paid him what they had to to keep him, not neccessary what he is worth compared to others. Who will sooner or later, pass him by. He picked a great time to become a FA, winning the SB gave him even more leverage. I understand why they paid him what they did and why they had to. I just don't think he's worth that. Honestly, I don't think anyone is worth that to play a game.

We definitely agree there. Unfortunately the popularity of the game and the sheer numbers they pull in pretty much dictate large salaries in a free agent system.

He should NOT be the highest paid QB cause he's not the BEST QB. If there are 5 QB's better then him making between 15-20 million per year. Then his value, imo is somewhere in that range, not above it. If Flacco is worth 20+ million a year then Rodgers is worth 30.

OK, you win. In some sort of mythical world where pay is determined completely by objective merit, with no regards to the needs of teams and players, the labor agreement between owners and union that make up the rules for the marketplace, Flacco doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player. There, I said it.

Of course we don't live in that world. We live in that world where Jamarcus Russell has made more money, even adjusted for inflation, than John Unitas ever did. We live in a world where Mike Trout will make $510,000 this year and guys like A-Rod, Alfonso Soriano, and Barry Zito will each make 30+ times more.

But you are right, in that mythical world where pay is absolutely proportional to objective performance, even though that world doesn't exist, you are right. Flacco doesn't "deserve" to be the highest paid QB. You are a rare genius who was able to see that while the rest of us couldn't. Thank you for bringing your rare wisdom to this thread, while the rest of us were worrying about silly real-world stuff like the Ravens' and Flacco's negotiationing leveragein the situation, salary cap space, and all the other factors that led to his contract. You alone were able to see through all that real life stuff and get to the heart of it. I salute you, Real Man of Genius.

OK, you win. In some sort of mythical world where pay is determined completely by objective merit, with no regards to the needs of teams and players, the labor agreement between owners and union that make up the rules for the marketplace, Flacco doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player. There, I said it.

Of course we don't live in that world. We live in that world where Jamarcus Russell has made more money, even adjusted for inflation, than John Unitas ever did. We live in a world where Mike Trout will make $510,000 this year and guys like A-Rod, Alfonso Soriano, and Barry Zito will each make 30+ times more.

But you are right, in that mythical world where pay is absolutely proportional to objective performance, even though that world doesn't exist, you are right. Flacco doesn't "deserve" to be the highest paid QB. You are a rare genius who was able to see that while the rest of us couldn't. Thank you for bringing your rare wisdom to this thread, while the rest of us were worrying about silly real-world stuff like the Ravens' and Flacco's negotiationing leveragein the situation, salary cap space, and all the other factors that led to his contract. You alone were able to see through all that real life stuff and get to the heart of it. I salute you, Real Man of Genius.

As proud as you must be of your post, the reality is, in the mythical or real world, unless you are the best, you dont deserve to be paid like the best. Pretty simple really.

• Downvote 1

As proud as you must be of your post, the reality is, in the mythical or real world, unless you are the best, you dont deserve to be paid like the best. Pretty simple really.

So you don't think you deserve to be paid more at your job? Or you don't think there is someone at your work who is overpaid?

Good lord this thread is full of trolls...

IP check..... You just dont understand how it works in the NFL period.

So you don't think you deserve to be paid more at your job? Or you don't think there is someone at your work who is overpaid?

Good lord this thread is full of trolls...

The sheer amount of the perceived undeserved folks who get ahead in life is fairly staggering. Kevin Smith once commented that in Hollywood one fails upwards.