Greg

Ravens have agreed to a new contract with QB Joe Flacco.

Lotta money for a non elite 2nd tier QB.

He did have a great post season tho.

Yep and a guy who's been in the playoffs all five of his seasons in the NFL...and if not for drops by Evans last year and Boldin the year before could've played in three SBs. Non elite 2nd tier sounds like a sour grapes.
We will see what he becomes sans Cameron
True, but he should give Rahim Moore some of his bonus money.
Yep, any QB could drop it in a bucket from 55 yards under pressure. That win was all about Moore, no doubt.
I think it sounds like a guy that is completely neutral/objective on the Ravens and just watches with no agenda or dog in the show.

Sorry MagicBird, but as a Cowboys fan, you have perhaps the biggest 'dog in the show'. (Romo is amongst the best of the next big-name free agent QB's... which is quite a unique story for the talking heads... what with Flacco being the statistically mediocre QB who wins playoff games every year and goes on a Super Bowl run, and Romo being the statistically close-to-elite QB who has one playoff win.)

You'll find a full spectrum of opinions amongst Ravens fans concerning what Flacco should make. Hell, during the first half of the Colts playoff game, it had to be considered that they might just let him walk considering the contract he'd pursue. But as McLovin posted, "This is how free agency works. One or two guys become available, and whoever is available becomes the highest paid."

Don't worry, if the rumors are to be believed, the Flacco deal will be a blueprint for Jerry Jones.

Edited by TakebackOPACY
correction on my wording about Romo's contract status.

Oh you mean like throwing 11 TD and 0 Int in the playoffs? :rolleyes:

Ever heard of Bernard Pierce? :rolleyes:

Wait...

:rolleyes:

Ray Rice was in those games also. He's a very good QB, but not top 5, barely if top 10.

Sorry MagicBird, but as a Cowboys fan, you have perhaps the biggest 'dog in the show'. (Romo is the best big-name free agent QB... which is quite a unique story for the talking heads... what with Flacco being the statistically mediocre QB who wins playoff games every year and goes on a Super Bowl run, and Romo being the statistically close-to-elite QB who has one playoff win.)

You'll find a full spectrum of opinions amongst Ravens fans concerning what Flacco should make. Hell, during the first half of the Colts playoff game, it had to be considered that they might just let him walk considering the contract he'd pursue. But as McLovin posted, "This is how free agency works. One or two guys become available, and whoever is available becomes the highest paid."

Don't worry, if the rumors are to be believed, the Flacco deal will be a blueprint for Jerry Jones.

Aaron Rodgers was paying close attention, too.

Cause if you lose that RB, your season is basically over cause your QB isn't good enough to win games by himself.

This is what those who over hype non-elite QB's don't seem to understand.

This is a really bad take. On a few different levels.

Joe will always have his haters. I can't wait to see how bad it is once he misses the playoffs. It's inevitable, it happens to everyone.

Oh well, so happy this got done. We have our franchise QB locked up for what should be the prime of his career.

Edited by ccbird

Ray Rice was in those games also. He's a very good QB, but not top 5, barely if top 10.

You mean the guy who, once again, seemingly disappeared in the playoffs? Whose avg. YPC dropped almost a full yard between the regular season and the playoffs? The same guy who coughed up the ball 3 times?

Outside of the Denver game, Rice seemed like he was doing everything possible to make sure Pierce gets more touches next season.

Cause if you lose that RB, your season is basically over cause your QB isn't good enough to win games by himself.

No offense, but Ray Rice put up average stats in the playoffs this year. He didn't exactly bail Joe out. Did I want Joe to be the highest paid QB? Nope, but the Ravens had plenty of opportunities to lock him down for a much cheaper deal prior to this point and they were trying to save money. The move backfired on them. Joe Flacco did his job.

I would love to hear your top 10 and do me a favor and make two lists. List number one would be guys who you would take over Joe on a 1-2 year basis and the second list is guys who you would take over Joe over the next 3-5 years. I had Rodgers have on my list, but I do not like the negative feedback some fellow members of the team are saying about Rodgers. I am not taking Eli over Joe, no way its Rivers or Stafford (I could throw for 2,000 yards if Megatron was my wideout), and Roethlisberger hasn't done anything with the Steelers in a while. I am not sure that RG3 will be the same player coming off his knee injury and I need to see more of Cam Newton.

We are lucky to have stability in Joe.

JTrea, is that you?

Flacco is a pretty damn good qb. 2:1 TD:INT ratio for his career, has started 16 games 5 years in a row. I think the only thing you can really knock him on is completion percentage which is a bit low but it's not horrible. He just completed one of the best postseasons ever so you know he can step up his game when it counts. He wins at least one playoff game a year. Not a lot of QB's have a resume like that.

He doesn't have Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees prolific numbers, but he's got the same amount of rings as three of those guys.

Flacco reminds me of Aikman, doesn't have extremely flashy stats but he just wins.

• Downvote 1

JTrea, is that you?
NOT EVEN CLOSE TO FUNNY! You know I had my issues with him while he was here.

Flacco is a pretty damn good qb. 2:1 TD:INT ratio for his career, has started 16 games 5 years in a row. I think the only thing you can really knock him on is completion percentage which is a bit low but it's not horrible. He just completed one of the best postseasons ever so you know he can step up his game when it counts. He wins at least one playoff game a year. Not a lot of QB's have a resume like that.

He doesn't have Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees prolific numbers, but he's got the same amount of rings as three of those guys.

Flacco reminds me of Aikman, doesn't have extremely flashy stats but he just wins.

I said he's a very good QB.

• Downvote 1

I would love to hear your top 10 and do me a favor and make two lists. List number one would be guys who you would take over Joe on a 1-2 year basis and the second list is guys who you would take over Joe over the next 3-5 years. I had Rodgers have on my list, but I do not like the negative feedback some fellow members of the team are saying about Rodgers. I am not taking Eli over Joe, no way its Rivers or Stafford (I could throw for 2,000 yards if Megatron was my wideout), and Roethlisberger hasn't done anything with the Steelers in a while. I am not sure that RG3 will be the same player coming off his knee injury and I need to see more of Cam Newton.

We are lucky to have stability in Joe.

You are lucky. You are also lucky to have such great players as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. As they both retire the dynamic of the Ravens will change and it will become Joe's team. We'll seee soon if he's an elite QB who is able to carry his team. I just don't think he is worth or deserving of the contract he just got. Aaron Rodgers is now worth 25-30 million a year.

Aaron Rodgers is now worth 25-30 million a year.

Yes. Yes he is. And as stated, the Cowboys are going to have to commit an awful lot to Romo.

Separate note. No one in football can play the deep passing game better than Flacco. Some might be as good, but he's right there at the top. Give Flacco a true #1, and lookout.

And taking shots downfield more than most is what keeps his completion percentage low.

People need to look up he meaning of "mediocre" because it should never be used in a sentence about Flacco unless it relates to a single game.

Flacco is every bit of "very good" he may not be on the very top level, but he did just beat Brady (and made the throw to beat him twice in the AFCCG on the road) and Manning. Two of the very best.

Flacco doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB of all time but he won't be for long. It's how the NFL works and it worked out this way because he won a SB after having what could have been the best postseason in NFL history.

You are lucky. You are also lucky to have such great players as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. As they both retire the dynamic of the Ravens will change and it will become Joe's team. We'll seee soon if he's an elite QB who is able to carry his team. I just don't think he is worth or deserving of the contract he just got. Aaron Rodgers is now worth 25-30 million a year.

Lucky, lol. Ray Lewis missed most of the season this year and was a non factor in the Super Bowl. Reed is still a factor in the passing game but he didn't have many INT's this year. We were also without two of our best defensive players in Webb and McClain.

The defense has been great, and much better, in years past and they didn't win the SB. Should have, but they could never seal the deal. Now they did, mostly because of Joe Flacco. So what don't you understand?

Edited by NewMarketSean

Thats really viewing Flacco thru a homer purple colored pair of glasses.

In the real world, Flacco is more like a Trent Dilfer on steriods. And I hate to make that comparison, but Flacco is a bus driver, just a much better bus driver than Trent, and had a much better offense to carry him than Trent had.

• Downvote 1