Greg

Ravens have agreed to a new contract with QB Joe Flacco.

From a pure throwing standpoint Joe is one of the top 2-3 guys in the league. But unlike say Cutler or Stafford who also has great pure throwing skills Joe also is a better decision maker.

Joe is the ultimate threat in that he can make any throw in any condition or situation. It's why he is always going to give his team a chance late in the season and playoffs, especially if it's outdoors when elements come into play. The bottom line is he'll never have the overall consistency of Peyton, or Rodgers, or Brady, or Brees. Those guys and others will put up better pure passing numbers. However, when playoff football begins Joe it's often a different story. When elements start to come into play, when refs start to let the players play a little more, when big strike plays become that much bigger it brings out the strength of Joe Flacco.

Brady or Manning, or take a guy like Matt Ryan. Those guys can be effected by playoff football. Ryan and Manning in particular can be effected by the elements if they are playing outdoors. The just don;t have the ability to make all the throws. Smart defenses should take advantage of that. IN the case of Brady, Manning as well, the rely on efficient, long drive offenses. One drop here, one sack there, an incomplete pass and they are in trouble because they are unlikely to hit you with a big play. It's all built on efficiency and playoff football often minimizes that style of play.

Without question Joe has proven to be a top 5 playoff QB. You can use all the stats you wanna use and take 10, hell 12, other QBs, for your team if you want fantasy numbers . There isn't 5 other guys I would take for playoff football. It's why despite their reg season record, no matter if they have to go on the road or not, you always believe guys like Roethlisberger, Eli, Joe have a chance in the playoffs. People obviously didn't put Joe in that class before this year but he showed you the signs he could play on the road starting his rookie year when he knocked off the #1 seed Titans. It only continued in Pitt in '10, NE in '11. It just all came together this year. People making snide remarks thanking Rahim Moore are conveniently forgetting the Boldin and Houz drops in '10 and the Evans drop and Cundiff miss in '11. Just as unlucky those years as he was lucky this year in Denver.

How you want to judge QBs is up to you. However, if you are smart and are drafting a QB to win one big game for you'll have Joe Flacco near the top of the list. In the "elite" category.

Edited by ccbird
  • Upvote 1

You mentioned the Cowboys. Many Cowboy fans say Romo is a better QB than Flacco. Romo has had to carry his team - Flacco doesnt. Romo is able to make chicken salad out of chicken **** routinely - Flacco hasnt had to do that. Is Romo better? Not when it comes to team success. As far as just an individual player the nod would have to go to Romo, but its a team game.

Carry his team....where, exactly?

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO FUNNY! You know I had my issues with him while he was here.

I said he's a very good QB.

Wow, I get neg repped for that? Man, it must be nice to have your life if all you have to worry about is someone (jokingly) comparing you to El Trea. I wonder how you react when something REALLY serious happens to you.

Kids, cover your eyes!

• Upvote 1

Thats really viewing Flacco thru a homer purple colored pair of glasses.

In the real world, Flacco is more like a Trent Dilfer on steriods. And I hate to make that comparison, but Flacco is a bus driver, just a much better bus driver than Trent, and had a much better offense to carry him than Trent had.

Did you even graduate from clown college or just matriculate there for a few semesters?

• Upvote 1

Some of the people commenting on this thread aren't Ravens fans.

I'd say an overwhelming majority of Ravens fans are thrilled to have Flacco back with this deal. $7 million against the cap in 2013. Ozzie has done it again.

Is not a Ravens fan. Does that mean I'm not allowed to comment about it or in here? Does that mean my opinion is anyless important then yours?

Wow, I get neg repped for that? Man, it must be nice to have your life if all you have to worry about is someone (jokingly) comparing you to El Trea. I wonder how you react when something REALLY serious happens to you.

Kids, cover your eyes!

You mean like my father dying couple weeks ago on Valentines day?

Is not a Ravens fan. Does that mean I'm not allowed to comment about it or in here? Does that mean my opinion is anyless important then yours?

Someone said that Ravens fans will never be happy. Well, the only critical people on this thread aren't Ravens fans. That's why I said it.

Someone said that Ravens fans will never be happy. Well, the only critical people on this thread aren't Ravens fans. That's why I said it.

I just don't think he's the best QB in the league, hence he shouldn't be paid as if he is. Again, if they don't win the SB, he don't get this exact contract. It's the only reason he is now the highest paid player in the NFL. Other then saying he's not an elite QB, I have not once said anything negative about him. And IMO that's not negative, just the truth. He's not one of the top 5. He'd have a hard time breaking the top 10. If you sort his stats last year, he doesn't break the top 10 of any major catagory. He's never thrown for more the 4000 yards, never thrown more then 25 Td's in a season. He's above average, not elite.

Edited by mark_beckens

I just don't think he's the best QB in the league, hence he shouldn't be paid as if he is. Again, if they don't win the SB, he don't get this exact contract. It's the only reason he is now the highest paid player in the NFL. Other then saying he's not an elite QB, I have not once said anything negative about him. And IMO that's not negative, just the truth. He's not one of the top 5. He'd have a hard time breaking the top 10. If you sort his stats last year, he doesn't break the top 10 of any major catagory. He's never thrown for more the 4000 yards, never thrown more then 25 Td's in a season. He's above average, not elite.

He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league. Or rather, it really depends on how you define "best." Stat wise? No. He's not the best. He doesn't need the stats, because without them, all he does is win. And you can't say they win despite him, because he threw water on that particular fire a couple years ago when he started showing he's not really one of the QB's you want with the ball during a 2 minute drill.

It's the difference between Dan Marino and Joe Montana. Marino put up some really nice stats, and not much to show for it. Montana was very very solid, but not a "fantasy" type stat accumulator. All he did was win. All things being equal, I'd much rather have the latter.

That was me. I wasn't necessarily talking about just what we see around OH. I'm going off the reactions of people on FB when the news broke that I know are Raven fans.

Too much of this thread is full of Tony Romo talk and poster bashing. Acouple of points here:

1) Joe's contract is the biggest in the league right now. When Rodgers, Ryan and a few others sign new deals it will no longer be the biggest. If everyone begins to pay their franchise QBs more then everyone will have to adjust accordingly. There will be less room for all teams with franchise QBs to work to sign other players. While we still don't know the cap effect exactly, it sounds like its pretty friendly and he'll also soon be surpassed.

2) Joe's contract is for the prime of his career. Romo can try and use Flacco's deal to negotiate his but Romo will be 33 in April. He is at the end of his prime years and really doesn't have that bargaining chip. This is the same reason Tom Brady's extension really can't be compared with Flacco's deal.

3) I'm glad we got this done with early. We can now address Ellerbe who I really think is key. I've written off Kruger and Williams and think we can replace them without much difficulty. Williams wasn't a good corner by most defensive metrics. Kruger was a pleasant surprise last year but still wasn't a truly special player. I think we get Ellerbe done. That leaves Reed as the wildcard. But getting Ellerbe signed would leave us with only a few areas of big need. We could focus on Dline (interior and an edge guy), LT (though I hope McKinnie is re-signed as a stop gap) and maybe safety in FA and the draft.

Edited by Baltoravensrule

I have a feeling this year will be his best statistical season yet, so lets talk after the 2013 season.

That said , he's a winner and got the contract based on a set of unique circumstances. That is the only reason he will be the highest paid QB for a about a year, until Rodgers gets his deal.

He doesn't need to be the best QB in the league. Or rather, it really depends on how you define "best." Stat wise? No. He's not the best. He doesn't need the stats, because without them, all he does is win. And you can't say they win despite him, because he threw water on that particular fire a couple years ago when he started showing he's not really one of the QB's you want with the ball during a 2 minute drill.

It's the difference between Dan Marino and Joe Montana. Marino put up some really nice stats, and not much to show for it. Montana was very very solid, but not a "fantasy" type stat accumulator. All he did was win. All things being equal, I'd much rather have the latter.

Joe Montana and John Unitas are the best QB's ever!

btw, as of right now, Joe Flacco is not close to either of them!