Sign in to follow this  
TonySoprano

In Ozzie We Trust

I don't mind the philosophy of building for the long haul and being willing to miss the playoffs for a season if necessary, but if rebuilding is their goal then why did they structure Joe's contract to be cap-friendly this season and much less friendly a couple of years down the road? If they want to step back and reload it seems like they should swallow a bigger cap hit this year, to preserve cap space a couple of years down the road when they are ready to be serious contenders again.

patience, grasshopper! Championships aren't won in March!

• Upvote 1

Ozzie seems to have miscalculated what the market for Ellerbe was going to be. I don't mind letting both he and Kruger walk as I think both are overpaid by their new clubs, but maybe we could have kept Boldin if they knew they would be so far apart with Ellerbe. Maybe they could have resigned Kruger to a team friendly deal since he wanted to come back.

Losing Boldin is going to be the biggest loss of the off season. The guy was a beast who caught everything thrown his way. He blocked well, had to be accounted for, and created mismatches for the opposing defense. The post season shows what a clutch, big-game receiver he is. The dude should have retired a Raven. Flacco should have given him 2 million out of his new deal.

Boldin now has a legitimate chance to get to the Super Bowl with three different teams. Has that ever happened before?

I don't mind the philosophy of building for the long haul and being willing to miss the playoffs for a season if necessary, but if rebuilding is their goal then why did they structure Joe's contract to be cap-friendly this season and much less friendly a couple of years down the road? If they want to step back and reload it seems like they should swallow a bigger cap hit this year, to preserve cap space a couple of years down the road when they are ready to be serious contenders again.

Remember, the new CBA allows you to carry cap savings forward to the next season for the life of the deal.

This is huge for a team like the Ravens that draft and develop talent so well.Particularly when we're about a month away from a very deep draft in which we currently have 11 picks, including our comp picks for our lost FAs last year.

Given Ozzie and company's history of draft success, I can easily see us drafting a future Pro Bowler or 2 next month. Therefore, any money we can save against the cap now could easily mean we can afford to keep an extra hone grown talent or 2 a few years from now.

Ozzie seems to have miscalculated what the market for Ellerbe was going to be. I don't mind letting both he and Kruger walk as I think both are overpaid by their new clubs, but maybe we could have kept Boldin if they knew they would be so far apart with Ellerbe. Maybe they could have resigned Kruger to a team friendly deal since he wanted to come back.

Losing Boldin is going to be the biggest loss of the off season. The guy was a beast who caught everything thrown his way. He blocked well, had to be accounted for, and created mismatches for the opposing defense. The post season shows what a clutch, big-game receiver he is. The dude should have retired a Raven. Flacco should have given him 2 million out of his new deal.

Boldin now has a legitimate chance to get to the Super Bowl with three different teams. Has that ever happened before?

Why do so many people keep tying any moves back to Joe and his new deal?

Boldin getting moved was for one reason; Ozzie did not believe that Boldin was going to be worth 6 mill in 2013.

I loved Q. Loved him when he was with Arizona and was pumped when we git him. However, a lot of fans are letting his postseason run overshadow what Q was during his time here.

He averaged about 60 catches, around 860 yds and about 5 TDs per season. About the production of Mike Williams in TB. And for a guy that's going to be 33, has no speed, lacks the ability to get separation and has never been a great route runner, he simply can't be the 3rd highest paid player on your team.

Because the salary cap is due for a big jump in three years.

Why do so many people keep tying any moves back to Joe and his new deal?

Boldin getting moved was for one reason; Ozzie did not believe that Boldin was going to be worth 6 mill in 2013.

I loved Q. Loved him when he was with Arizona and was pumped when we git him. However, a lot of fans are letting his postseason run overshadow what Q was during his time here.

He averaged about 60 catches, around 860 yds and about 5 TDs per season. About the production of Mike Williams in TB. And for a guy that's going to be 33, has no speed, lacks the ability to get separation and has never been a great route runner, he simply can't be the 3rd highest paid player on your team.

He was the best receiver on the team, once they got rid of Cameron. As for his lack of speed and inability to get seperation, I think he proved without question, you don't need either one if your QB

puts it where you can go get it. His post season was just a taste of what we would've seen from him

had the Ravens kept him.

He was the best receiver on the team, once they got rid of Cameron. As for his lack of speed and inability to get seperation, I think he proved without question, you don't need either one if your QB

puts it where you can go get it. His post season was just a taste of what we would've seen from him

had the Ravens kept him.

Again, if he would've played at the number Ozzie wanted, he stays. And if the money didn't matter, he stays. But for a guy on the wrong side of 30, you just can't justify that cost.

Trading Q allowed us to sign a chunk of our RFAs without hitting the cap. I'd rather have Pitta, Dickson and Art Jones in their primes than 1 more year of Q at 33.

I know he seemed to take off when Caldwell got here but now someone else will step in. We've got a whole lot of time between now and camp.

It doesn't really work that way, but I know you know that. I can understand the emotions of this all, but there is a lot of off season to go and we still need to get a LT. Ellerbe and Kruger were not worth nearly what the market gave them and I'm glad the Ravens did not overpay to keep neither of these guys. Losing Boldin does hurt, but as long as Ozzie addresses the receiver issue before training camp, I'll refrain from being critical of him trading him. Saying that, I much rather Boldin go to the 49ers and out of our Conference.

A lack of action in FA signifies to me that the ravens view this draft as being deep with a lot of immediate impact guys. Ozzie is also very good at bring in solid veterans to fill those rolls that he will not be able to fill through the draft.

A lack of action in FA signifies to me that the ravens view this draft as being deep with a lot of immediate impact guys. Ozzie is also very good at bring in solid veterans to fill those rolls that he will not be able to fill through the draft.

Ozzie is really really good at that.

I'll just say this....

How many times have we said..."Would you take a World Series win for a decade of losing?" And the poll always is leaning towards YES! Well, the Ravens are the current World Champs. They can go 6-10 next year and I won't be THAT upset!