fansince71

Notes from the Post!

I wouldn't mind Floyd as the second or third bat we acquire. He had better not be our "big bat." It's just nice to see a player who wants to come here, and he could DH for us. I'd still prefer the second bat to be Thomas or Nomar, but Floyd suffices. Either way, the big bat we acquire should be ARam.

7 years, $119 mm is out of the question, but it simply does not help the team to be quoted as saying they were "floored" by the demand. It simply reinforces the impression that the O's are out of touch with the marketplace.

Player demands should never "floor" anyone.

Players are going to ask what they are going to ask. What the O's need to do, if they want to pursue Soriano, is put a realistic starting offer on the table and go from there, rather than saying they are "floored" by a player's demands.

Well said, Flanagan's PR is a joke.

The post mentions that Jose Guillen and Robert Fick have filed. Any interest in either? I think Guillen could bounce back but, I don't know if he'll move to LF. Fick may be a decent back up catcher.

I wouldn't mind Floyd as the second or third bat we acquire. He had better not be our "big bat." It's just nice to see a player who wants to come here, and he could DH for us. I'd still prefer the second bat to be Thomas or Nomar, but Floyd suffices. Either way, the big bat we acquire should be ARam.

Floyd is another guy who can't hit LHP. I just don't know if we can afford another one of those.

The post mentions that Jose Guillen and Robert Fick have filed. Any interest in either? I think Guillen could bounce back but' date=' I don't know if he'll move to LF. Fick may be a decent back up catcher.[/quote']

Guillen is worth a look if he can pass Dr. No's physical and we're convinced he won't be a clubhouse problem. If he rebounds, he should be good for an 800+ OPS.

Fick is pretty useless. He's been putting up OPSs of 700 and lower for several years now and doesn't play well in the field at any position. He's a jack of all trades but not remotely good at anything.

7 years, $119 mm is out of the question, but it simply does not help the team to be quoted as saying they were "floored" by the demand. It simply reinforces the impression that the O's are out of touch with the marketplace.

Player demands should never "floor" anyone.

Players are going to ask what they are going to ask. What the O's need to do, if they want to pursue Soriano, is put a realistic starting offer on the table and go from there, rather than saying they are "floored" by a player's demands.

I think you should reread that article. The word "floored" came from the reporter. No one from the Orioles was quoted as saying it.

His injury was pretty nasty as I recall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/24/AR2006072400805.html?nav=emailpage

Plus he had shoulder surgery last offseason.

Well, there goes one of those 5 tools he was supposed to have...

But I think, assuming he wants to make it back from the injury, he will make it. We would put him in LF so the arm wouldn't be too big an issue if he can't throw anymore.

This would require sitting down with the guy and seeing where his body, and more importantly, his head is at. I wouldn't just sign the guy blindly.

I think you should reread that article. The word "floored" came from the reporter. No one from the Orioles was quoted as saying it.

I realize it's not a direct quote, but I doubt the reporter would use a word like "floored" unless his source either used that word or said something just as strong.

I realize it's not a direct quote, but I doubt the reporter would use a word like "floored" unless his source either used that word or said something just as strong.

I disagree. One of the reporters is the same person who was roundly attacked on this board as not being very credible not long ago. Why does he suddenly have so much credibility?

If the Orioles official used the word "floored" it would have appeared with quote marks. If not, it is the reporter's interpretation. Also, note that there was no quote in the article at all, "floored" or otherwise. Therefore, you don't know what was said to Soriano. Obviously nothing was said that the reporters were free to quote. I think you, and a few others on this thread, are way over-reacting to a reporter's off-hand remark.

Frobby, I have a lot of respect for you. You are about the most consistently rational and reasonable person on this board. But I think you missed it here.

I disagree. One of the reporters is the same person who was roundly attacked on this board as not being very credible not long ago. Why does he suddenly have so much credibility?

If the Orioles official used the word "floored" it would have appeared with quote marks. If not, it is the reporter's interpretation. Also, note that there was no quote in the article at all, "floored" or otherwise. Therefore, you don't know what was said to Soriano. Obviously nothing was said that the reporters were free to quote. I think you, and a few others on this thread, are way over-reacting to a reporter's off-hand remark.

Frobby, I have a lot of respect for you. You are about the most consistently rational and reasonable person on this board. But I think you missed it here.

If the reporter has any credibility (that's in they eye of the beholder) then a reasonable person would assume that he heard directly from a source that the O's were taken aback, flabergasted, in disbelief, greatly surprised, shocked, or floored. Take your pick.

Maybe, who knows. As far as Arangure Jr. goes, I read his stuff regularly and I think he generally is a very good reporter, despite his unfair "chat room" comments about the Hangout. On the whole, I consider his reports --especially about the hot stove league -- to have been more accurate than his counterparts' at the Sun over the last 2 years. Which is not to say that he hasn't made some mistakes, because he has.

Well said, Flanagan's PR is a joke.

How is this a reflection of Flanagans PR in any way? It is not a quote, it is some unamed FO "source's" impression of the reaction to that figure. People are so anxious to attack the FO before they have done anything, they don't bother to read.

His injury was pretty nasty as I recall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/24/AR2006072400805.html?nav=emailpage

Plus he had shoulder surgery last offseason.

That's not great but as was pointed out, his potenitla lack of arm strength will matter alot less in LF.

If we could get him for a cheap(5 million or less) 1 or 2 year deal, i would take him.