OFFNY

Chris Tillman Today, 2013

Good pitchers have bad games but Tillman was walking everyone in sight, a problem that has plagued his career. I think that is why people are worried.

I'm surprised. Well, here it is. And it ain't pretty, so apologies in advance.

He was terrible. And he lost the O's the game today. Not the error or Jim Johnson or Flaherty or anyone who didn't come up with a big hit. This game is squarely on Tillman.

He was back to his old ways, throwing either a) meatballs or b) junk out of the strike zone for less than 4 innings and allowing the Twins to hang a 5 spot on him. Ugh.

Yep, he was masterful in 2012 and I applaud him for that and that was great to see and I hope nothing but the best for him as an Oriole going forward, obviously. He's a good kid and has a ton of talent. And that first inning today had me really excited!

But he and Arrieta and Britton all suffer from the same issues. None of them can repeat a delivery, and none of them can throw strikes consistently. It's absolutely maddening to see this year in and year out and be fooled again and again and again by their promise. At least Matusz has found a role and is doing well there.

How can you trust a pitcher like Chris Tillman? Why do you think Buck went with Joe Saunders in the playoffs? And his quotes after the game amounted to "go get 'em next time", which is what you say after a mediocre outing pitching 5 or 6 innings, but not when you hang a 5-spot in less than 4 innings.

Just totally over the cavalry. Hammel, Chen, and Gonzo have all pitched mostly like we'd expect in their games so far, and once again the cavalry - Jake and Chris - have come up short with the worst outings of the 5 starters.

Sorry for the rant guys. Tillman has haunted my dreams for years and today's start was just so typical Tillman I can't even stand it.

:vader:

That said, go win the series tomorrow. :thumbsup1:

Thank you. If we're going to rip some guys for one bad start or a handful of bad at bats, let's rip everyone who has a poor first five games. Throw in the obligatory "I'll give him another start or two, but this can't continue if we're going to the playoffs. Maybe it was ok in the bad days, but SSS craziness and off days just can't happen on good teams." And then call for Bundy, Gausman, Johnson, and the others so they all get their chance to allow three runs in five innings and get pushed aside for Rodriguez and the folks who haven't been drafted yet.

• Upvote 1

The past two starts have been extremely frustrating. It IS curious that the Cavalry has so much trouble with repeating their deliveries. The three non-cavalry starters (Hammel, Chen, Gonzales) don't seem to have any issues. Maybe simple repeatable deliveries were not emphasized while they were in the minors.

Tillman showed last year that he has the potential to consistently repeat his mechanics, so I think you have to give him a little longer rope than Arrietta. Arrietta has never shown that he can consistently repeat his mechanics over an extended time period. I would give him a handful of more starts and if he doesn't improve dramatically, it is time for either Johnson or Jurrgens. While they don't have the pure stuff that Arrietta has, they hardly ever start off an inning by walking the #9 batter.

Tillmans pitch count was way up by like the 3rd inning. I was really looking forward to seeing him pitch. From the bleachers it looked like he was getting squeezed a little, I don't know how he really looked on TV.

I'll add here that while I realize I'm just running hot right now, I'm not really buying "it's just one game". If by some miracle Tillman goes on a tear after this game and repeats 2012, then fantastic. But we've all seen this for years. If you're really the big time prospect with the ace stuff and you've really turned a corner, you're not coming out and pitching 3.2 innings against the Twins. You're just not.

You're right, good pitchers never have bad games. Not at all. Never. Ever.

I completely agree with everything in this post.

He just cannot be consistent for any great length of time.

Great one start, terrible the next. Heck, he's even great and terrible from inning to inning!

He had one good half of a season and nothing more.

Expecting him to be that guy from last year all season long appears to be a pipe dream.

With that said, I hope to god he proves us all wrong.....I just don't expect him too. Thank god we've got Bundy, steve johnson, jurjjens and Gausman in the pipe.

Isn't half a season a significant length of time. He was pretty consistent last year and was consistent at Norfolk before he came up. Again, I think Tillman has a lot more rope than Arrieta. Of course, we have other options, so even Tillman probably doesn't get more than 6-7 starts if he's going badly.

Meh. I'm not saying good pitchers don't have bad games - but ask yourself, are those games you linked an anomaly for those pitchers? Yes. Is it for Chris Tillman? Absolutely not. He's been doing it for years.

The glimmer of hope is that Tillman's good 86 IP last year was his most in the majors and his best by far. But you can't tell me yesterday didn't look like the "old" Tillman that we've come to know over the years. 3.2 IP is never acceptable, especially on a team with playoff hopes. And I'm so tired of it from Tillman - he seriously drives me nuts.

I don't remember the old Tillman's bottom velocity being 91. The old Tillman would start off the game throwing 88 mph and then bump it up to 90-92 maybe. This one threw quite a few 93 mph fastballs that he seemed to be throwing past a lot of hitters.

Except, you know, that 90 MPH meatball that went into the bleachers for a 3-run bomb. Of course I agree, though, that the velocity was similar to last year and thus that's ultimately encouraging. I'm aware of the big picture despite my ranting, I'm just extremely frustrated with the cavalry at this point. They're better than this!

Yes, but it was a 3-0 count and Tillman made the mistake a laying one in there. Everyone in the ballpark and watching it knew Parmalee was swinging there. Tillman seemed like the only one who didn't know.

Meh. I'm not saying good pitchers don't have bad games - but ask yourself, are those games you linked an anomaly for those pitchers? Yes. Is it for Chris Tillman? Absolutely not. He's been doing it for years.

The glimmer of hope is that Tillman's good 86 IP last year was his most in the majors and his best by far. But you can't tell me yesterday didn't look like the "old" Tillman that we've come to know over the years. 3.2 IP is never acceptable, especially on a team with playoff hopes. And I'm so tired of it from Tillman - he seriously drives me nuts.

What's an anomaly? There's a continuum of pitchers, from HOFer to high school kid, and the lower you get to more likely he's going to have a bad outing against major leaguers. Yes, it is more unusual for Lefty Grove to give up five earned in 3.2 than it is for Chris Tillman. But every pitcher has those days, and not infrequently. As I mentioned in another thread - all of this April stuff is confirmation bias. Everyone who thought Joe Smith was bad and undeserving of a spot is on the lookout for bad outings and flaws that will confirm that belief, even if it's clear that management/stats/analysis/scouts hold a very different opinion.

By the way, I think Tillman is going to be a guy who pitches to roughly an average AL ERA this year. That's what his peripherals from last year indicated. In fact, I'm willing to bet that part of the vitriol directed his way after one iffy start is because some people thought his sub-3.00 ERA from last year was real, even if it contained a .220-ish BABIP which stood an excellent chance of turning into a .280 this year. Tillman should be a decent 3, 4, 5 starter, and one so-so start shouldn't change anyone's opinion more than a tiny amount.

I'm encouraged by the velocity.

When we were doubting Tillman, it was both velocity and command.

If he keeps his stuff as his, I expect the results to improve as he gets sharper with command. Then again, that's what we keep saying about Jake...

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. RED SOX, 4/11)

IP:. 5.33

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 2

SO: 5

Pitches: 101 (60 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2013 ERA: 7.00

PITCHES BY INNINGS

5 *

* Tillman retired 1 batter in the 6th inning before departing.

Not a bad outing. Not the length you would like to see, but the season is still early, and I hate to admit it but early on this Red Sox offense looks like it could be a top 5 AL offense. He did well.