Greg

Ryan Flaherty has to go.

Nice post and much closer to reality then what Frobby posted. Couple of points:

1) Frobby mentions winter ball. Flaherty had dysentery. No wonder he didn't hit. Someone should have told him not to drink the water.

2) The league has adjusted to not throw him fastballs. He is seeing a lot of off speed pitches. Can he adjust? That is the current test for him.

Not sure why you are saying my post wasn't close to reality. I was responding specifically to a post relying on Flaherty's playoff performance last year. That's virtually meaningless, and that IS reality. RZNJ is making a better argument, but that's not what I was responding to. I acknowledge his points, and that's why I said I would continue to play Flaherty right now. But he needs to perform better.

To be completely honest, I was very surprised when all was said and done and he was playing in the bigs again. I thought last year showed some promise for him, but it also showed clearly that he wasn't ready yet. I thought he clearly needed some seasoning time in Norfolk. I know now that that would be hard to do, but when Roberts comes back, Flaherty NEEDS to be in Norfolk. Continuing to play him in the MLB lineup is not just hurting the Os, but I'm not sure it's productive to his development either.

Not sure why you are saying my post wasn't close to reality. I was responding specifically to a post relying on Flaherty's playoff performance last year. That's virtually meaningless, and that IS reality. RZNJ is making a better argument, but that's not what I was responding to. I acknowledge his points, and that's why I said I would continue to play Flaherty right now. But he needs to perform better.

Frobby, we all know that you are normally fair in your analysis but you look kind of bias when your cherry pick Flaherty's spring average (which was poor)and ignore his OPS(which was much better than the average). RZNJ points this out. Saying that Flaherty post season stats are meaningless is also kind of bias when you could be saying it should be figured into the total picture.

In this case, RZNJ just takes a more balanced approach IMO.

Edited by wildcard

Frobby, we all know that you are normally fair in your analysis but you look kind of bias when your cherry pick Flaherty's spring average (which was poor)and ignore his OPS(which was much better than the average). RZNJ points this out. Saying that Flaherty post season stats are meaningless is also kind of bias when you could be saying it should be figured into the total picture.

In this case, RZNJ just takes a more balance approach IMO.

Since I admitted I was wrong one day, I'm getting a lot of love. Keep it coming!

Anyone Else sick of watching this clown?

Damn. It has been five damn games and you are already on this guy? This is unbelievable. Okay since you want him gone who do you

want to replace him?

Since I admitted I was wrong one day, I'm getting a lot of love. Keep it coming!

Like Buck keeps saying - One does not necessarily follow the other.

Frobby, we all know that you are normally fair in your analysis but you look kind of bias when your cherry pick Flaherty's spring average (which was poor)and ignore his OPS(which was much better than the average). RZNJ points this out.

When I made my post, I was using my iPhone and couldn't find Flaherty's spring OPS on the mobile version of Orioles.com so I just gave his BA, which I remembered because it was identical to last year's BA. No intent to be selective on my part, I would have posted his spring slash line if I knew where to find it. (P.S. - I've since realized that BB-ref is now showing spring 2013 stats.)

Ryan Flaherty has you all fooled. Why do you think him and Brandon Fayhey are never in the same picture!

• Upvote 1

But Ryan Flaherty will not have a stretch like Chris Davis is having right now.

NOBODY will have a stretch like Davis is right now.

But the point stands. Flaherty's current struggles in a three-game stretch are not indicative of much of anything. Every single player in MLB will do what he's done at some point. Flaherty might not be the answer at 2B. He might never be a quality player, but these three games aren't enough to make any decisions.

Yes, playoff and spring numbers should be figured into the total picture. Which is something like: (Scouting reports x 50) + (MLE's of his minor league career numbers x 20) + (last year's overall MLB numbers x 5) + (this year's spring numbers x 1) + (last year's playoff performance x 1). Or thereabouts.

For what small input spring numbers make on decisions, his OPS isn't doing much for him. He had a .781, which was very light on OBP (meaning it's not as impressive as it's middling first glance gives you), and according to bb-ref the average pitcher he faced in the spring was just a touch better than a AAA arm. Would you be excited about a low-OBP guy with a .781 in AAA?

Drungo: good analysis. who would you like to see instead of Flaherty? Or what changes would you make if you were in charge?

For what small input spring numbers make on decisions, his OPS isn't doing much for him. He had a .781, which was very light on OBP (meaning it's not as impressive as it's middling first glance gives you), and according to bb-ref the average pitcher he faced in the spring was just a touch better than a AAA arm. Would you be excited about a low-OBP guy with a .781 in AAA?

I think the key point to his spring numbers are that he went 0-11 with 7 strikeouts to end the spring. I don't attribute that to better pitchers faced as I do to just a bad slump that started at the end of spring and is continuing right now.