duffaphonic

Jones today

I'm glad he acknowledged it. I feel better about him for that. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't think that it was an acceptable excuse.

Guest rochester

I have been one of the AJ apologists just as some slam him when he picks his nose with the wrong finger, however, there is NO reason for a lack of hustle... none, zero, nada. Especially from someone who wants to be (or is) a leader. Frankly, I really don't care what he said after the game.... he could have given his team a chance to win by hustling... there is no excuse, even if he would have been out (not sure).

I'm glad he acknowledged it. I feel better about him for that. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope we can move from the idea that Jones doesn't hustle. His problem if anything, as I stated earlier, is that he tends to get down on himself in the moment too easily. It isn't for lack of effort.

Gotta love Melewski saying the ball fell between Reimold and Jones. The ball was hit about 10 feet away from Jones. Buck says the ball never came out of the sun. How would Jones see it even if it did? After one second he looked over to Reimold or help. Can't see it come out of the sun if you're not looking. Buck is great at protecting his players. Good for him. No problem the the non hustle because Jones usually hustles. I guess I can see his position.

This is a curious statement. Do you really think he wasn't looking? You watch a lot of baseball and are one of the more informed voices here, but this is wrong. Jones did lose the ball almost immediately. His problem much like the way he tracks balls is the way he was A) either taught or B) continues to rely on glasses to do the job he should be doing with his glove.

Go back and watch it again. Morneau's "double" comes on the second pitch in the AB and when it's hit Jones takes six or seven steps to his right never looking like he has picked up the ball off the bat and NEVER raising his glove to block out the sun. It is a common technique, but if you become too reliant on glasses or were never taught then it's not something many people will notice. I haven't noticed if it has been something he does,or rather doesn't do on a regular basis.

Jones running catch the other day is a great example of how his speed will overcome many flaws in his overall technique because of his athletic ability.

If Buck says it never came out of the sun, then you are right, he's covering for him. Kirby or somebody should be seeing this if I am though. I've commented before that his winning a GG may wrongly cement in some minds that he doesn't have things to work on. That would be a mistake.

I appreciate the effort he usually brings and believe him when he says he blew it because of the check swing. AJ is great at taking responsibility and not passing the buck. (No pun intended.)

• Upvote 1

I hope we can move from the idea that Jones doesn't hustle. His problem if anything, as I stated earlier, is that he tends to get down on himself in the moment too easily. It isn't for lack of effort.

This is a curious statement. Do you really think he wasn't looking? You watch a lot of baseball and are one of the more informed voices here, but this is wrong. Jones did lose the ball almost immediately. His problem much like the way he tracks balls is the way he was A) either taught or B) continues to rely on glasses to do the job he should be doing with his glove.

Go back and watch it again. Morneau's "double" comes on the second pitch in the AB and when it's hit Jones takes six or seven steps to his right never looking like he has picked up the ball off the bat and NEVER raising his glove to block out the sun. It is a common technique, but if you become too reliant on glasses or were never taught then it's not something many people will notice. I haven't noticed if it has been something he does,or rather doesn't do on a regular basis.

Jones running catch the other day is a great example of how his speed will overcome many flaws in his overall technique because of his athletic ability.

If Buck says it never came out of the sun, then you are right, he's covering for him. Kirby or somebody should be seeing this if I am though. I've commented before that his winning a GG may wrongly cement in some minds that he doesn't have things to work on. That would be a mistake.

I appreciate the effort he usually brings and believe him when he says he blew it because of the check swing. AJ is great at taking responsibility and not passing the buck. (No pun intended.)

I think you misunderstood my post. Maybe. I remember the play vividly. Jones "loses" the ball almost immediately. Right there we agree. It's what happens next where maybe we disagree. The outfielder has a choice here. Keep your head up and keep looking for the ball to appear somewhere up in the sky and then make the adjustment. Some guys throw their arms up in the air to show they can't see it and need help. What did Jones do? After losing the ball for a split second, he looks over at Reimold and points to him to help him out. Now he looks back up and it looked to me like he saw it but it was too late to recover. I'm suggesting that he should have kept his head up and trying to pick up the ball in the sky instead of looking over at Reimold and then looking back up. If he had done this, I think he would have picked the ball up sooner and still made the catch.

Just watched it again. Ball is hit maybe 20 feet to Jone's right. He takes 3 or 4 strides looking like he has it measured and then quickly looks to Reimold and points to him. Then he looks back up and it looks like he picks the ball up again but now with the ball about to land about 5 feet right in front of him and sees Reimold racing across and avoids the possible collision as Reimold can't quite get there either. Again, if he doesn't look to Reimold for that second I think he recovers and makes the catch.

Edited by RZNJ

I think you misunderstood my post. Maybe. I remember the play vividly. Jones "loses" the ball almost immediately. Right there we agree. It's what happens next where maybe we disagree. The outfielder has a choice here. Keep your head up and keep looking for the ball to appear somewhere up in the sky and then make the adjustment. Some guys throw their arms up in the air to show they can't see it and need help. What did Jones do? After losing the ball for a split second, he looks over at Reimold and points to him to help him out. Now he looks back up and it looked to me like he saw it but it was too late to recover. I'm suggesting that he should have kept his head up and trying to pick up the ball in the sky instead of looking over at Reimold and then looking back up. If he had done this, I think he would have picked the ball up sooner and still made the catch.

Just watched it again. Ball is hit maybe 20 feet to Jone's right. He takes 3 or 4 strides looking like he has it measured and then quickly looks to Reimold and points to him. Then he looks back up and it looks like he picks the ball up again but now with the ball about to land about 5 feet right in front of him and sees Reimold racing across and avoids the possible collision as Reimold can't quite get there either. Again, if he doesn't look to Reimold for that second I think he recovers and makes the catch.

Well, then I'm not sure we do disagree, maybe just misinterpreting. I think he is looking to Reimold, but I've lost balls basie even when I was shading my eyes with the glove. It's a tough call and I hear what you're saying. If he sticks with it a little longer maybe he picks it back up. He might have thought Reimold was closer and could make a play though.

Regardless, if he starts out shading his eyes from the moment a ball is hit AND is wearing sunglasses then his chances are greatly increased at picking that ball up from the beginning.

Of course most of my defense of Jones comes now because I have him as my avatar.

I'll be back to ripping him mercilessly when I move on to the next Oriole. ;)

You guys are horrible. Lose a few games and you take it out on the players. You do know two twins lost balls in the sun. If you can't see the ball you can't catch it.

I really don't see the point in tweeting him this thread. It's obvious he was beating himself up, why rub it in his face that fans are, I dare say, over reacting. Now, I do AGREE with the sentiments on this board, but I am venting here. If I were to write Adam Jones directly, I would phrase my language much differently, and show some respect in tone to what he has done and what he has and still means to this team and fan base. Reading some of the things so hastily said about him here isn't going to help anything.

He didn't deserve any respect today. Even he would admit that. That's the point. I still love him, he's our leader, but he needs to be called out, whether he admits to his faults or not.

I have been one of the AJ apologists just as some slam him when he picks his nose with the wrong finger, however, there is NO reason for a lack of hustle... none, zero, nada. Especially from someone who wants to be (or is) a leader. Frankly, I really don't care what he said after the game.... he could have given his team a chance to win by hustling... there is no excuse, even if he would have been out (not sure).

Wholeheartedly agree. I believe if he would have given 100% today in all 9 innings, we would have won. He makes that much of an impact.

I agree here. Jones just absolutely misplayed this. He's our CF for a reason. If he lost it in the sun immediately, there is no reason he should've LOOKED at Reimold while the ball was sky high. If he had no idea where it was, throw your ams out to let everyone know you've lost it, while keeping your eyes towards to the sky in hopes you can track it.

But that mental error by Jones really wasn't a big deal. Sure it was a factor, but his lack of hustle the rest of the game b/c of his mental error was 1000x more detrimental to our team.

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve 19s

Adam Jones called himself out for not running hard. Said was frustrated about check swing back to pitcher. "My fault on effort level."

As I assumed. Psychology 101.

Guest rochester
You guys are horrible. Lose a few games and you take it out on the players. You do know two twins lost balls in the sun. If you can't see the ball you can't catch it.

I don't agree... It has nothing to do with losing, it has to do with not hustling, which, in my opinion, is what has made AJ a leader, let alone an All-Star. He is what is right about the turnaround with the O's and has been one of my favorites since he got here. I believe that some are too hard on him here but the lack of hustle? My issue isn't the sun or the loss.

Likewise. Adam Jones, of all people. Buck is defending him now, and I like that publicly, but he will talk with Adam Im sure. Its his first time being the star of a playoff team, I think missing the pop fly and then feeling like he wasted his last AB just got to him mentally. He got caught up in himself and lost the team for a moment; he'll be disappointed with himself I wager. I would be shocked if he doesn't bust his ass through everything in Boston.

This guy seems on target.