Sign in to follow this  
caljr

Ken Rosenthal's take on where Soriono will go?!?!

No. You need talent, but the greatest defensive Catcher ever to play the game can only help your staff. I've never even mentioned Ramon Hernandez.

The IRod lovefest began after it was pointed out that Tejada/Hernandez > Ordonez/IRod.

And by using your flawed logic about IRod applied to Hernandez = advantage Hernandez. The evidence being how superb pitching staff's under Hernandez guidance have performed.

The IRod lovefest began after it was pointed out that Tejada/Hernandez > Ordonez/IRod.

Wrong again. I've always coveted Irod, every time he was a free agent. I even had a heated argument with one of my best friends when they signed Javy

And by using your flawed logic about IRod applied to Hernandez = advantage Hernandez. The evidence being how superb pitching staff's under Hernandez guidance have performed.

I can't believe that someone who constantly engages in strawman fallacies has the audacity to call someone else's logic flawed, especially given that their so-called "logic" is a provable fallacy.

Anyway what two teams has Ramon guided to the World Series ? I must've missed that. Is this another one of your ignore reality for the sake of hypothetical fantasies?

Actually, Bonderman was rumored to be dealt for Teixeira, who has a salary approx. 4 times Bonderman's.

The Tigers will only deal him if they can't sign him to a long-term deal. That is their first choice.

Tigers aren't in cost cutting mode. They will increase payroll this year.

You are correct if you use current pay levels, but 2 years from now barring injury Bonderman will make more than Tex. The Tigers can't/Won't pay him the 18MM + he is going to get. It can be argued the Mag's contract plays into that determination. I was simply pointing out to Boca that signing a superstar (or one paid like one) level player effects the decisions of a club for years to come. When we had the previous thread I stated to him that there should be a price that the O's are willing to pay for Soriano i would probably pay him in the 5/85, 6/95 range but there is also a point where the only smart thing to do is walk away. Boca seems to suggest that we should pay whatever it takes and if you don't agree with him your a fool. Soriano is a very good flawed player, almost all players are flawed so he is worth going after it is simply a matter of what it cost realitive to what he brings to the club. Thinking he brings what he did this year over the entire length of his contract would be unwise but he would in my opinion bring alot and for the numbers I stated above or less I would sign him if it was up to me.

Wrong again. I've always coveted Irod, every time he was a free agent. I even had a heated argument with one of my best friends when they signed Javy

I'm not saying you weren't an IRod guy in the past. Strictly talking about the posts in this thread.

I can't believe that someone who constantly engages in strawman fallacies has the audacity to call someone else's logic flawed, especially given that their so-called "logic" is a provable fallacy.

If the shoe fits...

Anyway what two teams has Ramon guided to the World Series ? I must've missed that. Is this another one of your ignore reality for the sake of hypothetical fantasies?

Anything can happen in a short series; over the long haul of the season when it comes to getting his teams to the post season Ramon Hernandez has been more successful. 3 AL division titles, 1 NL division title and a wild card appearance over the past 7 years. I can't think of another catcher w/that kind of track record in recent years other than Posada who benefits from the monster payroll disparity. Considering the difference between Hernandez and IRod offensively at this point in their careers, the Orioles are in better shape at catcher than the Tigers are. Big advantage for the O's in the Tejada/Hernandez > Ordonez/IRod equation.

You are correct if you use current pay levels, but 2 years from now barring injury Bonderman will make more than Tex. The Tigers can't/Won't pay him the 18MM + he is going to get. It can be argued the Mag's contract plays into that determination. .

It is debatable whether or not Bonderman will make more than Teixeira.

How do you know that they "can't" and they "won't" pay Bonderman ?

Everything I have read leads me to believe that they want to sign him long term and they are not in cost cutting mode. They are willing to increase payroll to WIN. Especially after this last season. They want to build on their success, not stop it.

I'm not saying you weren't an IRod guy in the past. Strictly talking about the posts in this thread.

If the shoe fits...

Anything can happen in a short series; over the long haul of the season when it comes to getting his teams to the post season Ramon Hernandez has been more successful. 3 AL division titles, 1 NL division title and a wild card appearance over the past 7 years. I can't think of another catcher w/that kind of track record in recent years other than Posada who benefits from the monster payroll disparity. Considering the difference between Hernandez and IRod offensively at this point in their careers, the Orioles are in better shape at catcher than the Tigers are. Big advantage for the O's in the Tejada/Hernandez > Ordonez/IRod equation.

Give it a rest. This Ordonez/IROD vs Tejada/Hernandez argument is downright silly, imo.

The TIgers are a better organization than the Orioles because of:

- Ownership who hires good people and delegates authority to them

- Smart GM who is allowed to use his talent to make decisions

- Many great personnel moves by GM/Scouting dept from drafting (Verlander) FA (IROD, Magglio), and trades (Polanco, Casey)

- Great field manager who knows the game and was allowed to hire his own people

The TIgers are a better organization than the Orioles because of:

- Ownership who hires good people and delegates authority to them

- Smart GM who is allowed to use his talent to make decisions

- Many great personnel moves by GM/Scouting dept from drafting (Verlander) FA (IROD, Magglio), and trades (Polanco, Casey)

- Great field manager who knows the game and was allowed to hire his own people

Couldn't agree more. The O's have played the FA game just as well if not better than Detroit but have fallen short in all the other areas you mention.

If the shoe fits...

You're right the shoe does fit. You constantly attempt strawman fallacies. The problem is that if a person recognizes them as such, they lose their potential for (dishonest) effectiveness

Anything can happen in a short series; over the long haul of the season when it comes to getting his teams to the post season Ramon Hernandez has been more successful. 3 AL division titles, 1 NL division title and a wild card appearance over the past 7 years. I can't think of another catcher w/that kind of track record in recent years other than Posada who benefits from the monster payroll disparity. Considering the difference between Hernandez and IRod offensively at this point in their careers, the Orioles are in better shape at catcher than the Tigers are.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Still hate the win column, huh. Still ignoring reality for the hypothetical. AS for me, I'll take Pudge's World Series, 12 GG's, defense, shut down of the running game, 1st ballot HOF, etc,etc.

Big advantage for the O's in the Tejada/Hernandez > Ordonez/IRod equation.

Who gives a flying frick how you judge things? Detroit is respectable and the O's aren't. Ask anyone in baseball who's the better franchise. Better yet, Ask Tejada or Ramon who they wish they were playing for this season or the upcoming season.

Ya think Tejada is sorry he didn't take the 66 mil from the Tigers?

Look! overpaying even works out for the Orioles. I love it when you prove my points for me :eek:

How do you know that they "can't" and they "won't" pay Bonderman ?

Because if they thought they could or would there would be no talk of trading him. Young very good pitchers are harder to come by than very good soon to be FA 1B.

Because if they thought they could or would there would be no talk of trading him. Young very good pitchers are harder to come by than very good soon to be FA 1B.

Houston talked about trading Oswalt and wound up signing him.

Really ? What does that even mean? I guess WS appearances, gold gloves, or comments from teamates have no sway when it comes to acknowledging a players performance. Just OBP, right :rolleyes:

Who has done "quite well" without him? BTW, define "quite well". So, if I were to show that statistically, they've regressed,it will be attibuted to pitching in the AL or that they've gotten older, or some other extraneous variable. What about their pre-Pudge performance ? Nonetheless, I guess its just a coincidence that Pudge has now guided two different young pitching staffs to the promised land in two different leauges. Anyway, how do you know that they didn't learn from Pudge,either? I mean are we comparing the Marlin young pitching to pre-pudge or post- pudge or both ?

The 2003 marlins staff was

Pavano - Pre -Pudge- He was 9 gms under .500 with an era over 4.55 With Pudge- 12-13 4.30 1.26 Post pudge- He's certainly hasn't done "quite well" since

Willis- Rookie yr with Pudge 14-6 3.30 1.28 and only had a better post-pudge year in 05

Beckett Pre-Pudge -17 career Dec's. With Pudge 9-8 3.04 1.28 WS MVP Post Pudge-has been solid. I don't know if he's been WS MVP solid, though

Redman- Pre-Pudge - 8 gms under .500 with an era in the 5's. With Pudge 14-9 3.59 1.22 Post Pudge-you can't be serious just as bad

Penny- has done about the same post and pre-Pudge that is over .500 with a mid 4ish era

So basically, you have a core of young guys who learned how to pitch under Pudge, but you seem to be saying that they would've done the same no matter who the Catcher was, correct ? A 1st ballot HOFer has no impact on a young pitching staff ? The only pattern I really see is the imarked mprovement of some guys under Pudge's tutleage. No one has gone on to do better without him really. SOme guys turned the corner only while they had Pudge as a C. Its also Strange how some guys who were struggling turned it around suddenly after Pudge was their battery mate,as well.

You think the Tigers would be, yet the Tigers pitchers themselves don't. Hmm, I'll go with what the players think about it.

I'm saying the pitchers on the Marlins have done well after Pudge left. And I'm talking about their stats which are most important, with players comments usually being least important since they are usually more BS then real. Refer to geshinger's post on the topic.

And please stop putting words in my mouth! I never said Pudge had no effect on the pitching staff! I'd take Ramon over Pudge, that's all.

Am I ?

Here you say Thames should be starting over Mags http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=714494&postcount=110

Here you say Mags has nothing to do with their success

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=714510&postcount=119

Mags still has "nothing" to do with the Tigers success

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=714513&postcount=122

Here's the old Thames is better

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=714514&postcount=123

Ummm...YES YOU ARE! Are you able to comprehend what you read? I did not say Mags has nothing to do with their success in either quote you said I did.

And Thames was playing better than Maggs at the time, there is no debating that. I will give Maggs credit since then however, as he stepped it up late in the year. So I will admit that with his strong finish, he was pretty helpful to the Tigers, but they still could have easily gotten better production while spending less and the pitching is by far the biggest reason for their success.

I guess David Eckstein is better than Tejada since he's won a couple WS titles in the past 4 years. Jeff Weaver and Suppan must be better than Roy Halladay and Johan Santana. We should build the team around Millar and Conine since they have rings. I guess Ted Williams and Barry Bonds just weren't good players. End rant.

I guess David Eckstein is better than Tejada since he's won a couple WS titles in the past 4 years.

Clearly he isn't. However, Eckstein is proof that you can build a World Series contender without a top-hitting SS. So I guess his success should inspire the trade Miggy crowd.