Sonny76

Fwiw

I really like the current course and think that those 3 FA's are the guys Id want to take up the salary we are losing regardless of whether Bedard gets traded.

This small market mentally has held us back more than anything. We have an RSN. We have the best ballpark in baseball. We have passionate fans. Id be happy with a payroll in the $80M range if we can find 3-5 starting players making rookie salaries, but there is no reason they cant afford to opperate with a payroll budget over $100M.

If we lose $80M from the payroll between now and 2010 and its not replaced with the top FA's Im going to be seriously T'd off. Even if Bedard and Roberts arent traded, signing those 3 guys puts us at

1B Teixeira

2B Roberts

3B Blalock

SS

C Weiters

DH Scott/Ramirez

LF Ramirez/Reimold/Scott

CF

RF Markakis

1. Bedard

2. Guthrie

3. Leowen

4. Cabrera

5. Patton/Liz etc.

We have the resources to target players and get things done. It just needs to happen.

For the record, Id rather trade Bedard and get those young players starting, but if the trade doesnt make sense, Id shift my focus to building a team that changes Bedards perception of the franchise, and makes him want to win with the team that drafted him.

Wont Bedard be gone by then? I think his contract is up, and he doesnt want to sign here. Having a winning team may change his mind, but I doubt it. Seems to me that he just wants a change of scenery.

Wont Bedard be gone by then? I think his contract is up, and he doesnt want to sign here. Having a winning team may change his mind, but I doubt it. Seems to me that he just wants a change of scenery.

Good point. But if we trade Bedard this offseason, we could potentially recieve back a pitcher that will be ready in 2- years to be staff ace, or we just replace Bedard with Loewen on this list, and get a future 2 starter.

I know many people think Loewen won't pan out, but honestly, he looked pretty impressive when I saw him.

I would love to see Lowen become a legit #1! He definately has the size to be a dominating pitcher.

You are right on about trading bedard now and getting back some pieces for 2009/2010. I would love to get back a CF and a future top of the rotation guy.

Bedard wont be gone until after next season. We have this coming season, and next offseason to show some direction. Over $40M will leave the payroll at this time. This season the team will opperate without Tejada's salary, and possibly without Payton as well.

Next offseason they can make their move. Blalock, Teixeira, Ramirez, Sabathia and Burnett will be available. The signing of any of those 3 probably raises the payroll about $10-20M over what it was last year. Theyll lose another $40M before 2010. They can structure the salaries any way they need to to get it done, the money is all guaranteed and all of those players have already made enough money to where as long as we arent trying to defer rediculous amounts for the next 20 years, it can work out.

Bedard has had success here. Adding those players shows him the direction they are going. Ive never heard anything from Bedard about leaving if the team is poised to win. Teixeira is the first piece. If they grab him early it sets a tone for the offseason. Burnett is probably next, depending on how Leowen, Guthrie and Cabrera have pitched in 08. At that point you decide how far away Rowell is and if Reimold is going to make it and either pull the trigger on Manny or Blalock.

If Bedard wont extend to pitch in a rotation of

1. Bedard

2. Burnett

3. Loewen

4. Guthrie

5. Cabrera

Then you trade him in 09 or go for it that year, try to resign him as a FA or take the draft picks.

For the record, Loewen is the least of my concern. The kid is special, as long as he can stay healthy. Im more concerned with Guthrie's continued success. Im not really concerned about Cabrera either. I wrote a post about a week ago showing that in like 21 of 30 or so starts he pitched into the 6th while giving up 4 or less runs. Ill take that from my 26 year old #4 or #5 starter who on any given night has the ability to dominate any team he faces.

Effort is absolutely the very least of Cabrera's problems. There are more glowing reports of his work ethic, training regimen, and general hard work than anyone else on the roster. I heard from Flanny himself that they thought Cabrera works "too hard" and they actually have to slow him down during his between start workouts and running stairs and the like.

Cabrera has a lot of things holding him back, but lack of effort isn't one of them.

With all due respect, I am not referring to his training or work ethic. I am referring to his effort once he gets on the mound. Either because he can't hold his concentration or he panics or something else, you can look at almost every game he started and find one period where it looks like someone else is wearing his uniform. This is not because he is 6'9" or whatever, it is because he is just mentally not there.

It is unbelieveable that the O's make excuses for this guy like they do. He won't throw a change up and completely abandoned a killer slider because he works too hard? He gets a guy in the hole 0 - 2 and throws a bad BP fastball down the middle because he works too hard? He couldn't hit the broadside of Barry Bonds if he tried because he works too hard? I don't think so.

In business, I have run across countless talented people you really want to succeed but for whatever reason they can't get their act together - or won't. After enough time you just have to move on.

If the light bulb was ever going to go on it would have happened by now. Either send him to AAA for the entire season or help him clear out his locker, but we can't continue to let him go on like he did in 2006 and 2007. He is not going to improve just because we really, really want him to!

With all due respect, I am not referring to his training or work ethic. I am referring to his effort once he gets on the mound. Either because he can't hold his concentration or he panics or something else, you can look at almost every game he started and find one period where it looks like someone else is wearing his uniform. This is not because he is 6'9" or whatever, it is because he is just mentally not there.

It is unbelieveable that the O's make excuses for this guy like they do. He won't throw a change up and completely abandoned a killer slider because he works too hard? He gets a guy in the hole 0 - 2 and throws a bad BP fastball down the middle because he works too hard? He couldn't hit the broadside of Barry Bonds if he tried because he works too hard? I don't think so.

In business, I have run across countless talented people you really want to succeed but for whatever reason they can't get their act together - or won't. After enough time you just have to move on.

If the light bulb was ever going to go on it would have happened by now. Either send him to AAA for the entire season or help him clear out his locker, but we can't continue to let him go on like he did in 2006 and 2007. He is not going to improve just because we really, really want him to!

I agree .... I've seen enough! Trade him away asap.

Thats the stance cleveland took on Guthrie, now he is OUR #2 starter.

I think what you are referring to is concentration and focus, rather than effort. I know a lot about this, because as a kid, if I got angry or upset while playing sports, my effort, if anything, would go up, but my concentration and focus would go down, with bad results.

I do think there are serious issues with DCab in this regard. And obviously, you do reach a point where you conclude a guy, no matter how hard he can throw, is never going to "get it."

I can't fault anyone who has reached that point with DCab. Pesonally, I'm willing to give him one more shot, with a new pitching coach, to see what happens. He starts this year in the rotation unless he's just awful in spring training, and I give him until June 30. At that point, if he is still not getting it and there is another young pitcher who appears ready, DCab goes to the bullpen for the rest of the year.

Although I'm willing to give DCab another shot, I'd also listen hard to whatever trade offers are out there.