Jump to content
OFFNY

Don't Tell Me These O's Ain't Got No Heart

Recommended Posts

Through 8 innings this looked like the O's best win of the season,.  Then Michael Givens took the ball.  Any random waiver wire pitcher would be a better closer than Givens at this point.  Continuing to run Givens out there as closer after today would qualify as fan abuse.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

 

When Steve Wilkerson misplayed a ball allowing 3 Angels runs to score in the bottom of the 7th inning, it looked like curtains for the Orioles.

But that same Steve Wilkerson contributed toward an Oriole comeback by drilling an RBI-double to tie the game in the top of the 8th ........ AND, he wound up pitching a scoreless bottom of the 16th inning to finish the Angels off.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

 

When Steve Wilkerson misplayed a ball allowing 3 Angels runs to score in the bottom of the 7th inning, it looked like curtains for the Orioles.

But that same Steve Wilkerson contributed toward an Oriole comeback by drilling an RBI-double to tie the game in the top of the 8th ........ AND, he wound up pitching a scoreless bottom of the 16th inning to finish the Angels off.

 

o

o

 

Shades of the Boston Marathon game from 2012 ........

 

In that game back in 2012, Adam Jones relayed the ball to JJ Hardy on a double, who threw a strike to Matt Wieters to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 16th inning.

In this game, Dwight Smith Jr relayed the ball to Jonathan Villar on a double, who threw a strike to Pedro Severino to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 15th inning.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

(vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

 

When Steve Wilkerson misplayed a ball allowing 3 Angels runs to score in the bottom of the 7th inning, it looked like curtains for the Orioles.

But that same Steve Wilkerson contributed toward an Oriole comeback by drilling an RBI-double to tie the game in the top of the 8th ........ AND, he wound up pitching a scoreless bottom of the 16th inning to finish the Angels off.

 

o

The first time EVER that a position player recorded a save. Crazy.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like this team. 

They don't quit.  They don't care that they're not supposed to be good.  Like a boxer that gets his face beat in and gets up off the canvas asking for more, they're always ready for the next round.  They'll get destroyed one night and come back the next like nothing happened.  

I felt like last years team was sleepwalking through the season by June.  This team, as bad as they've been and as bad as they can be is infinitely more fun to watch.  I'm thrilled that they came out on top of that 16 inning game, that has to be very satisfying.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

The first time EVER that a position player recorded a save. Crazy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fun recap to wake up to. Love the spunk the guys are showing.

As I said or at least concurred in another thread, I’m perfectly fine with “losing out” on 1:1 and even dropping out of the top 3 or 4 if it means we’ve uncovered some potential gems (or even some fancy trinkets) in the rough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I actually like this team. 

They don't quit.  They don't care that they're not supposed to be good.  Like a boxer that gets his face beat in and gets up off the canvas asking for more, they're always ready for the next round.  They'll get destroyed one night and come back the next like nothing happened.  

I felt like last years team was sleepwalking through the season by June.  This team, as bad as they've been and as bad as they can be is infinitely more fun to watch.  I'm thrilled that they came out on top of that 16 inning game, that has to be very satisfying.  

I agree here.

Honestly, having prepared for a long rebuild (which we still have ahead of us), this season has been really fun to watch the Orioles organization as a whole. Gritty MLB team with some pleasant surprises from a roster of basically no-names, that is outperforming one with plenty of names from last year. 

Then, IMO, everything outside of the MLB team has gone about as well as you could expect. It feels like most of the noteworthy prospects have showed out. Each and every night it's felt like there's a positive report. We got the best #1 in years and made a significant international market investment. And now all of that is reflected in a top 10 farm system ranking that many of us thought may be a year or two off. 

I'm feeling good for sure, and this year has felt way better than last year, for lots of reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

 

Shades of the Boston Marathon game from 2012 ........

 

In that game back in 2012, Adam Jones relayed the ball to JJ Hardy on a double, who threw a strike to Matt Wieters to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 16th inning.

In this game, Dwight Smith Jr relayed the ball to Jonathan Villar on a double, who threw a strike to Pedro Severino to nail what would have been the winning run at home plate in the bottom of the 15th inning.

 

o

o

 

Scroll to the 1:18 mark for that play (Jones-to-Hardy-to-Wieters.)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4e-6ogFLcI

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I actually like this team. 

They don't quit.  They don't care that they're not supposed to be good.  Like a boxer that gets his face beat in and gets up off the canvas asking for more, they're always ready for the next round.  They'll get destroyed one night and come back the next like nothing happened.  

I felt like last years team was sleepwalking through the season by June.  This team, as bad as they've been and as bad as they can be is infinitely more fun to watch.  I'm thrilled that they came out on top of that 16 inning game, that has to be very satisfying.  

Refuse to Lose, baby! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

The young, plucky Birds showed a lot of fight in their 4-game series in southern California against a playoff-hungry Angels team.

 

Wrapping Up a Series Win that Ends with a Sunday Loss in Anaheim

(By Steve Melweski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/07/wrapping-up-a-series-win-that-ends-with-a-sunday-loss-in-anaheim.html

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...