Frobby

Will this be the year the Pirates top .500?

Just curious, since it was before my time...

Did the Pirates do anything in particular during those '71 and '79 series that make O's fans hate them? Like, did they act like jerks? Were their fans obnoxious? Were they a roster full of unlikable players?

Or is it just the fact that the Pirates...won the games? As all baseball teams attempt to do?

In any case, regardless of where the hatred stems from, that was a long, long time ago. Nobody from those Pirates teams is still active with the organization as far as I know (maybe a coach or two?). We Orioles fans think we're long-suffering, but the Birds' 14-year losing streak pales in comparison to what the Pirates have done.

Enough is enough. The Pirates fans deserve a winning season. Nobody deserves the two decades of incredible ineptitude that those fans have put up with.

I began my Oriole fandom in October of 1971, when I was 6 years-old, and in 1st grade. My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so I rooted for the Orioles.

I distinctly remember the end of the final 2 games (Game Six and Game Seven.) The Orioles won Game Six when an Oriole runner (Frank Robinson) slid underneath the Pirates' catchers(Manny Sanguillen) who leapt high in the air for the throw from the outfielder.

The final out of Game Seven was a groundout. My whole family whooped it up, and I went outside on the swing-set in our back yard, put my face in my hands, and pouted.

In October of 1978, my mother (lifelong Yankee fan) told me that she was converting to an Oriole fan, and she promised me that they would win the World Series the next year. She was off by one game. After Eddie Murray flew out with the bases loaded to end the 8th inning of Game Seven, I went to my mother and started crying, sensing that that was our last real shot. It was the last time that I ever cried tears of sadness over a sports event.

I actually have fond memories of both World Series, even though they ended in heartbreak. The first one (1971) started me on my being a hardcore Oriole fan, and the second one (1979) was the first time ever that my mother truly rooted for the Orioles, and that meant a lot ...... especially since I knew that she grew up in the Yankee Dynasty years (she was born in September of 1935), and had gotten autographs from Yankee players such as Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, and her favorite player ever, Jerry Coleman.

I never hated the Pirates. They did their jobs and beat us, fair and square.

Heartbroken ??? Absolutely. Hate the Pirates ??? No.

It's cool that a team that has sucked for so long is good again. I'd even say that about the Yankees if they underwent 21 years of sucking. Pittsburgh is actually a cool city and while I can't stand the Steelers and 1971 and 1979 suck even for a fan who wasn't alive for one WS and was 5 months old for another, I think their beautiful stadium deserves to be rocking and rolling this summer and would be thrilled if it was us and them in the end together.

Just curious, since it was before my time...

Did the Pirates do anything in particular during those '71 and '79 series that make O's fans hate them? Like, did they act like jerks? Were their fans obnoxious? Were they a roster full of unlikable players?

Or is it just the fact that the Pirates...won the games? As all baseball teams attempt to do?

In any case, regardless of where the hatred stems from, that was a long, long time ago. Nobody from those Pirates teams is still active with the organization as far as I know (maybe a coach or two?). We Orioles fans think we're long-suffering, but the Birds' 14-year losing streak pales in comparison to what the Pirates have done.

Enough is enough. The Pirates fans deserve a winning season. Nobody deserves the two decades of incredible ineptitude that those fans have put up with.

Probably the frustration of losing both and being so close in each. I was around and old enough to remember both series fairly well. For me, I always had a lot of respect for the Pirates franchise and I'm glad to see them doing well.

A win over the Cardinals tonight puts the Pirates 1/2 game behind them for the best record in the majors.

FRANCISCO LIRIANO O (vs. CARDINALS, 7/29)

IP:. 7

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 2

SO: 8

Pitches: 102 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2013 ERA: 2.16

They are having their magical season similar to our 2012. I'm rooting for them even though I think the Cardinals are the best team in baseball and a lot of fun to watch.

After being swept by the Rockies, the Pirates' lead in the N.L. Central is now down to 3 games:

Pirates Lose, 3-2, as Rockies Sweep

(By Bill Brink)

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-lose-3-2-as-rockies-sweep-698975/

The Pennsylvanians head to St. Louis for a 3-game set with the 2nd place Cardinals, beginning tomorrow.

Edited by OFFNY

After being swept by the Rockies, the Pirates' lead in the N.L. East is now down to 3 games:

Pirates Lose, 3-2, as Rockies Sweep

(By Bill Brink)

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-lose-3-2-as-rockies-sweep-698975/

The Pennsylvanians head to St. Louis for a 3-game set with the 2nd place Cardinals, beginning tomorrow.

NL Central.