Frobby

Will this be the year the Pirates top .500?

It's official.

The Pirates won their 82nd game of the year tonight by a score of 1-0. They will have their first winning season since 1992.

Mark Melancon notched his 12th save of the year to go along with his 0.85 E.R.A., and his 0.853 W.H.I.P.

O

Pirates Secure First Winning Season since 1992 with 1-0 Win Over Rangers

(By Michael Sanserino)

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-secure-first-winning-season-since-1992-with-1-0-win-over-rangers-702649/

That's just too bad.

As much as Pittsburgh irks me, and as difficult as they've been to the Orioles in World Series, as well as the Steelers being such a pain in the neck, I'm glad that Pittsburgh's consecutive losing streak is over (even more glad that we did it first, though).

Michael Keaton was 9 years-old when Bill Mazeroski hit the game-winning home run off of Ralph Terry in the bottom of the 9th inning of Game Seven of the 1960 World Series to bring a world championship to the Pirates for the first time since 1925.

It was the first time ever that a World Series ended with a home run, and to this day, it remains the only time ever that the 7th and deciding game of a World Series ended with a round-tripper.

Until October of 1960, Keaton's interest in sports was minimal. However ...... ever since that day in October of 1960, when Keaton witnessed his older (12 year-old) brother running, jumping, and screaming through the streets of their western Pennsylvania town informing the entire neighborhood in Paul Revere-like style that the Pirates had won the World Series, he has been bleeding gold and black, in the same manner that so many of us bleed orange and black. His beloved Pirates are finally enjoying it's first winning season in more than 2 decades.

Beat 'em, Bucs: With Enthusiasm!

(By Michael Keaton)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9689303/actor-michael-keaton-birth-pittsburgh-pirates-fan

The Pirates head into the postseason for the first time in 21 years as the # 1 wildcard in the Nationals League, and a record of 94-68 overall.

Edited by OFFNY

Liriano comes up big against the Reds in a one-game playoff.

The Pirates advance to play the Cardinals in the N.L.D.S.

FRANCISCO LIRIANO O (vs. REDS, WILDCARD PLAYOFF)

IP:. 7

H:o 4

R:O 1

BB: 1 *

SO: 5

Pitches: 90 (64 Strikes, 26 Balls)

* Liriano also had 1 hit batsman.

That atmosphere reminded me VERY much of Camden Yards for that first playoff game last year. Those fans were just as hungry as we were.

That atmosphere reminded me VERY much of Camden Yards for that first playoff game last year. Those fans were just as hungry as we were.

That place was on FIRE. As much as I hate, and I mean HATE, the Steelers, and as much as I'd like to have the 79 Series back, I can't say I have any dislike for the Bucs. In fact, I'm rooting for them to go all the way this postseason.

Except Martin was playing for them.

"Russell shows muscle! Monsieur Martin est la!"

o

(MAY 23rd, 2013)

Last year, the Pirates were 16 games over .500 on August 8, only to finish 17-37 and finish under .500 for the 19th year in a row. They also collapsed terribly in 2011, falling from 51-44 to 72-90 by going 21-46 from July 20 on.

Once again this year, the Pirates are teasing their fans. They are 28-18 so far.

I, for one, really hope they finish over .500 this season. 19 years is longer than any team's fans -- even Pirate fans -- should have to endure.

Two years in a row !!!

Great call in the first place, Frank.