wildcard

Britton for Wright and $4M

But why Wright ? Maybe Wright becomes an option in March after option number 1 through 15 don't work out. Or give the opportunity to Penn/Olson.

We already have potential mainstays in Bedard,Cabrera, Loewen. We have one avg vet already in Benson. I just don't see the value in trading for Wright.

:confused: And this is based on one good season out of one for Britton ? And based on one good season out of ten for Wright ?

He had a good rookie year ? Didn't you just say he was mediocre ? :confused:

If Wright is a "decent" starting pitcher, then we should have signed an "ace" like Padilla or Lilly.

If you simply view this as straight up Britton for Wright trade your missing the point. Clearly Wright's function is to replace Lopez in the rotation until Penn/Olson can replace him. He's a one year stop gap who could move to the bullpen and allows us to move RLo for someone we need. Brittons' conditioning would likely have prevented him from being an O for 6 years as well as his inability to develp a second pitch. And every indication is that they will sign a FA SP, though my guess it will be Meche instead of Lilly or Padilla. They are looking to trade for a big bat. Dunn? Tex?

I think that's true and not true - if we're talking about trading him straight-up. But as part of a package, in which the additional component hedges the risk that R-Lo will repeat last year, I think you could have something.

The problem with straight-up trades is that all the risk is located in one person; it's why package deals are so much more attractive. R-Lo, with his success in the past and his relative durability, could be made part of a pretty good package. Though what he'll bring back will bear some risk, as well: I just think a decent positional prospect is possible.

I think the best thing about acquiring Wright is that when he's injured in mid-May Hayden Penn can be brought up. This will give Penn about 5-6 starts in the minors before trying again to establish himself as a major league starter. :002_shappy:

I think the best thing about acquiring Wright is that when he's injured in mid-May Hayden Penn can be brought up. This will give Penn about 5-6 starts in the minors before trying again to establish himself as a major league starter. :002_shappy:

Yeah.. that's the ticket.

I'm with SRH and others. This trade, by itself, is meaningless. The most that can be said about it specifically is Wright replaces R-Lo (good thing) and we lose Britton (semi-bad thing but we have pitching depth...)

This trade is all positive in the zen sense...

1. It's EARLY. FO is actively proactive. Went after Sheff and now land Wright. No waiting for the market to set itself.

2. With the weak FA class and expected BIG $$$$ deals, trades will be where we can really gain this year.

3. We're talking to EVERYone. Trading with the MFYs has been taboo forever. That is obviously out the door. (Can Boras clients be next? :P)

4. I rather doubt Wright will pitch an inning for us. The FO's mantra for the last few years has been good players that we can control for several years. No renting. Wright for one year and losing Britton is diametrically opposed to that. This is absolutely the first of many moves they are planning/working on. The article said there have been several teams interested in R-Lo. This frees him (or Wright) up to do that.

5. You can never have too much pitching.

6. You can NEVER have too much pitching....

I can't say I like this move, where's the upgrade?

We weaken an already struggling bullpen and add an injury prone starter, who isn't that much better than RLo. RLo to Wright seems like a lateral move to me, is Wright really that much better than RLo?

I think people who expect him to be a #3 pitcher are dreaming. A 4 maybe, a 5th pitcher is more realistic, IMO.

Talent wise, we didn't give up alot in Britton, but he's been a pretty solid young pitcher. On a bullpen like ours, we needed him. If we wanted Wright so badly, we should have went after him once he becomes a free agent. Even if he doesn't sign with us, there are still better options available w/o giving up our second best reliever.

For me to consider this a good move, I'll need to see two things happen.

1.) They move RLo for bullpen help.

1a) The player he brings back has to be as good or better than Britton.

2. They can still sign another free agent pitcher or decide to go with Penn and move Benson for a bat like Ensberg or someone similar.

Otherwise, I don't think we really did much to upgrade the team with this trade. It has to be the first or many moves to follow. If not, then it's just another name in the laudry list of 'cheap stop gap' players.

I'd rather see Brandon Erbe than Jaret Wright in our staff next year.

Trading a young reliever who helped Chris Ray anchor an otherwise godawful bullpen last year is NOT going to make this team better. Unless we go to the playoffs THIS YEAR, there was no point in making that trade.

I don't like this move much, partly because I like Chris Britton. If the O's assessment of him is correct then they may get some temporary benefit from this trade. If they are worng, we've given up a young, cheap effectivle reliever for a starter who is probably no better than the guy he will replace, and who will be a free agent next year.

Oh well, I will now root for Wright to be lights out and for Britton to be terrible.

Replacing R-Lo with Wright IS a lateral move, but if we can move R-Lo for something better than Britton, then it's fine. I mean, this is what we've been saying, right? So we just need to be patient and see what their next step is: if it's not an improvement over Britton then we'll have a beef. Until then, it's just pessimistic speculation dressed up as analysis.

If you simply view this as straight up Britton for Wright trade your missing the point. Clearly Wright's function is to replace Lopez in the rotation until Penn/Olson can replace him. He's a one year stop gap who could move to the bullpen and allows us to move RLo for someone we need. Brittons' conditioning would likely have prevented him from being an O for 6 years as well as his inability to develp a second pitch.

Be careful, don't make assumptions with this FO.

I get that point.

You are missing my points.

1) Wright just isn't good enough, regardless of his salary, to trade for ONE day before he would be a Free Agent, let alone giving up something of value for.

2) This talk of Brittons conditioning and secondary pitches "smells" of spin. Even if true- is it permanent ? Look at how he performed. THere is no evidence either of those things hurt him. Heck, give me three or four more RPs with conditioning problems then. They are looking for 60-70 IP out of Britton, not 200 plus.

3) If they really wanted Wright- sign him as a FA. He would not have commanded much. He is a huge health risk. He is a SP who has NEVER pitched 200 IP in his ten year career. A career 5.07 ERA. I could understand, maybe, if he was a power pitcher. But his K/BB, K/IP is nothing special.

Scott, you rather doubt Wright pitches an inning for us? Care to elaborate?

Just what I said. He may or may not. The FO has been all about getting guys that will help us now and in the future. Wright is gone after one year. I just get the feeling he is just a bargaining chip that we have picked up temporarily. He or R-Lo can be traded now because we have plenty of starters. Even Benson could be traded. Wright gives us strength and flexibility to make other trades.

1) Wright just isn't good enough, regardless of his salary, to trade for ONE day before he would be a Free Agent, let alone giving up something of value for.

Except that we would've ended up paying substantially more, over more years, if we waited. Now we get him for a year, cheap, with a year window to negotiate with him if he's performing under Mazzone.

As for "spin"...was it spin when the O's sent Britton back down to work on his secondary pitches and command? The conditioning is an issue (and maybe why he tailed off in August) but it's his lack of a any plus pitches other than his fastball that's the real issue I think. It's obvious the O's front-office and Mazzone think Britton's numbers were somewhat aberrational. It's probably because of this perceived "lack".