Frobby

MLB.com article on the Wright deal

"Britton was one of the bright spots in our bullpen, but from that standpoint, we feel we have other guys in the organization who can step up and fill that role from within."

They might have other guys like Hoey, Keefer, Salas, Liz, and Rakers but I'm not sure any of them can be counted on for OD.

They might have other guys like Hoey, Keefer, Salas, Liz, and Rakers but I'm not sure any of them can be counted on for OD.

It seems to me that this trade makes sense only if you believe that Chris Britton is unlikely to repeat (or improve on) his 2006 performance. Personally, I was impressed by Britton all year and had expected him to be one of the anchors of the pen next season. When you break it down he was only scored upon in 10 of 52 appearances all year. He also allowed only 4 of 20 inherited runners to score, which is a very good ratio. It would be asking a lot for any of the relievers mentioned above to duplicate Britton's numbers next year.

It seems to me that this trade makes sense only if you believe that Chris Britton is unlikely to repeat (or improve on) his 2006 performance. Personally, I was impressed by Britton all year and had expected him to be one of the anchors of the pen next season. When you break it down he was only scored upon in 10 of 52 appearances all year. He also allowed only 4 of 20 inherited runners to score, which is a very good ratio. It would be asking a lot for any of the relievers mentioned above to duplicate Britton's numbers next year.

IMO this trade only makes sense if it sets up other moves that allow us to aquire major pieces that we need;a Bat, a set man etc.

I guess the thinking of the front office was that once the league gets the scoop on Britton, that he's not going to look as good as he did in most instances last year.

I'm guessing they feel his fastball doesn't have enough life to it and that they think his conditioning will get to him as time goes on.

I don't know that I agree with their assessment. When it comes to conditioning, many guys have had some extra girth. I don't think it makes that much of a difference as far as pitchers go.

I guess the thinking of the front office was that once the league gets the scoop on Britton, that he's not going to look as good as he did in most instances last year.

I'm guessing they feel his fastball doesn't have enough life to it

Sounds like what they thought about John Maine.

Quite simply, Britton is a replaceable commodity. It's better to stack potential starters who can move to the pen then it is to find a setup guy. We have a ton of middle/set up relief candidates. I don't think Wright is a stud, but he does have some upside while Britton's stuff was ok, but not spectacular.

Obviously we all hope this is part of a bigger picture, but I disagree that this was a bad trade. Keefer, Rakers, Parrish are three guys all coming off injuries that could be back in the equation next year and Birkens, Burres, Olson, Morris and of course Hoey will all gets looks as well. Guys like Salas and Liz might not be that far behind and you wonder if Johnson moved to the pen, would he increase velocity and consistency?

The one thing about all those names is that besides Olson, non really will be considered in a starting role at the big league level (Liz perhaps, but I doubt it). That means you move from your strength.

I'm guessing they feel his fastball doesn't have enough life to it and that they think his conditioning will get to him as time goes on.

I don't know that I agree with their assessment. When it comes to conditioning, many guys have had some extra girth. I don't think it makes that much of a difference as far as pitchers go.

I'm curious. Leo Mazzone is reputed to be one of the best if not the best pitching coaches in Baseball.(of course there are many who surpass him here at the Hangout but they aren't currently in baseball) He has observed Britton in bullpen sessions and in game situations over the past season. He has an intimate knowledge of his demenor, work habits, discipline and has watched him gain weight over the course of that season. I would think he knows a lot about pitcher's conditioning. It is my guess that he was cosnulted in this decision to trade Britton and concurred. On what knowledge do you base your disagreement.

Quite simply, Britton is a replaceable commodity. It's better to stack potential starters who can move to the pen then it is to find a setup guy. We have a ton of middle/set up relief candidates. I don't think Wright is a stud, but he does have some upside while Britton's stuff was ok, but not spectacular.

Obviously we all hope this is part of a bigger picture, but I disagree that this was a bad trade. Keefer, Rakers, Parrish are three guys all coming off injuries that could be back in the equation next year and Birkens, Burres, Olson, Morris and of course Hoey will all gets looks as well. Guys like Salas and Liz might not be that far behind and you wonder if Johnson moved to the pen, would he increase velocity and consistency?

The one thing about all those names is that besides Olson, non really will be considered in a starting role at the big league level (Liz perhaps, but I doubt it). That means you move from your strength.

Good summation.

I'm also in agreement that this wasn't a bad trade I just think it wasn't for a guy everyone wanted, the blockbuster deal. Who else would you get for Britton anyway? When you start to think more about this trade you realize no matter what happens it was a solid trade just like the Benson and Patterson ones. Low cost/high reward, solid moves.

I'm curious. Leo Mazzone is reputed to be one of the best if not the best pitching coaches in Baseball.(of course there are many who surpass him here at the Hangout but they aren't currently in baseball) He has observed Britton in bullpen sessions and in game situations over the past season. He has an intimate knowledge of his demenor, work habits, discipline and has watched him gain weight over the course of that season. I would think he knows a lot about pitcher's conditioning. It is my guess that he was cosnulted in this decision to trade Britton and concurred. On what knowledge do you base your disagreement.

Mazzone was COSNULTED!!! That must have hurt.:D

While on one hand this is true, the other hand just can't let go of Jim Brower and Russ Ortiz. Because of that, I can't help but doubt his judgment ever so slightly.

Tony,

I agree. But what of the issue of trading 5 or 6 more years of Britton at what is likely to be a below market wage for one year of Wright.

If the assumption is Wright improves under Mazzone in 07, are you aware of any push to extend Wright now while his value is cheaper than it will be if the Orioles are correct and Wright improves in 2007?

Barring some major improvements to the team, do you know if the Orioles may have some hope they can move Wright at the deadline next year to a contender, or whether he is not in the Os long term plans and will likely be allowed to test free agency after next season?

Do you think that over the long haul, 1 year Wright at 3 million > 5-6 years of Britton at a below market wage?

• Upvote 2

While on one hand this is true, the other hand just can't let go of Jim Brower and Russ Ortiz. Because of that, I can't help but doubt his judgment ever so slightly.

I wasn't talking about doubting his judgement, I was asking what information or insight you are privy to that is different from Leo's and causes you to disagree. In spite of Mazzone obviously flawed judgement re: Brower, Ortiz etc. how are you in a better position to evaluate Britton. Or is it that Mazzone's judgement is so poor that any armchair pitching coach can see beyond it?

Good summation.

I'm also in agreement that this wasn't a bad trade I just think it wasn't for a guy everyone wanted, the blockbuster deal. Who else would you get for Britton anyway? When you start to think more about this trade you realize no matter what happens it was a solid trade just like the Benson and Patterson ones. Low cost/high reward, solid moves.

Byrdz,

Do you think the Benson trade, even at the time it was consummated, was a solid trade? Do you still believe it was a solid trade, knowing what we know now?

Yeah, the Orioles are such big spenders/traders and they wanted really badly to acquire Santana, Peavy and Halliday but because of Mazzone's recommendation instead got Ortiz and Brower.:rolleyes: