Sign in to follow this  
Old#5fan

Change of Scenery Working Wonders For Pedro Strop - Not So Much for Arrieta

Arrieta went 7 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, 7Ks, and 0 ER today against the Cardinals. His NL ERA is 0.69 this season.

Strop's appeared in 19 games and has an ERA of 2.41. I have no idea what Feldman has been doing -- but so far Cubs fans have been appreciative of the trade.

I think most Cubs fans, myself included, (and not counting the meatheads, you know the ones that were crying when the Cubs traded Theriot and Fontenot) are hoping Arrieta can become at least a solid #3/4 for the Cubs. His first two starts with the team have been promising, but I'm waiting to see if Bosio can get him to be consistent before I relax.

Basically, between the two I am hoping one of them can become a long-term asset.

I'm watching a replay and I'm astonished, but he appears to be throwing only a two seam FB at 94-96 mph and a sharp CB. No CH and no Cutter.

One of the things that was talked about here repeatedly was getting him to scale back his arsenal, really pare it down. His delivery looked more repeatable today and when he got into trouble he didn't panic.

Ron Culpa gave him a couple of SO on pitches where he expanded the zone, but really for Jake he got into trouble when he threw strikes over the middle of the plate. So, pitching to the corners is what he needs to do more of.

I do think he'll need another pitch, but less is more with him. Commanding the FB is key.

I just watched some of it on MLBTV. There were definitely some cutters and curves in there. I didn't notice any changeups though. I did bounced around from inning to inning and didn't watch the whole thing though. I compared his mechanics to his start with us against TB on 4/16. The first thing I noticed that he was pitching from a stretch position the whole game today from what I saw and not from the windup. He was clearly pitching from the windup with us on his 4/16 start. Basically looks like they simplified his delivery/mechanics similar to what we did with Tillman. Uggh, I hope it wasn't somethiing as simple as that.

I just watched some of it on MLBTV. There were definitely some cutters and curves in there. I didn't notice any changeups though. I did bounced around from inning to inning and didn't watch the whole thing though. I compared his mechanics to his start with us against TB on 4/16. The first thing I noticed that he was pitching from a stretch position the whole game today from what I saw and not from the windup. He was clearly pitching from the windup with us on his 4/16 start. Basically looks like they simplified his delivery/mechanics similar to what we did with Tillman. Uggh, I hope it wasn't somethiing as simple as that.

I hadn't watched the last inning but there may have been a few toward the last couple of innings. He had adopted a more simplified delivery when he worked with Peterson last year. It looks even more like Tillman now. He got into trouble in the 6th with back to back walks and got out of it nicely. I was expecting a meltdown. Again, if he simplifies his pitch selection focusing on FB command I think he's much more effective. He maybe mixes in those other pitches in the third time through to keep hitters off balance, but with him he needs to keep things simple.

And yes, ughh.

I hadn't watched the last inning but there may have been a few toward the last couple of innings. He had adopted a more simplified delivery when he worked with Peterson last year. It looks even more like Tillman now. He got into trouble in the 6th with back to back walks and got out of it nicely. I was expecting a meltdown. Again, if he simplifies his pitch selection focusing on FB command I think he's much more effective. He maybe mixes in those other pitches in the third time through to keep hitters off balance, but with him he needs to keep things simple.

And yes, ughh.

I'm not sure what Peterson did (I'm sure they tried a lot), but that game on 4/16 (for us) he was clearly pitching from the windup and the stretch and it clearly looked as though he pitched from the stretch all day today. I just don't remember him doing that for us. I'm going to go back and look at the other games later to verify if I'm missing something. I'm just amazed they didn't explore it more considering the success Tillman has had with a similar strategy.

I know there was a lot of talk about Arrieta being inneffective from the stretch and better from the windup. Maybe that had something to do with it. His mechanics looked so fluid today. Nice and easy. Just amazing.

edit: Went back through the archives (cycled through 6-7 batters) and verified all his starts with us this year he pitched from the windup.

Edited by CA-ORIOLE

New league, facing a lot of hitters for the first time. I'm glad Jake is having success, but I certainly think it's too early to say he's turned a corner.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/19238/trade-for-arrieta-strop-could-be-classic

Good for these guys. Glad to see they are having some success. Really doesn't surprise me. The talent was always there...

Arrieta says “The biggest thing is to be able to get into a routine again,” Arrieta said after the Cubs shut out the Cardinals 7-0. “I now know I will be taking the ball every five days for this team. This is something I envisioned myself doing ever since the trade was made. My mindset was to just go about my business and be consistent whether it’s here or in Iowa.”

Yea OK....he was never given the chance in Baltimore to go out every five days?? Oh that's right, he was....and he sucked.

It's two games..............WOW!!!! Two.

Just read the comments below the article....one guy says Arrieta has turned so many corners it's hard to know where he is.....that is classic!!!:laughlol:

I'm using that one for sure.

I imagine it's much easier to pitch in no-pressure situations for a losing team.

Oh really?

Year   Age  ERA GS    IP   H  R ER HR BB SO ERA+  WHIP BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB2010    24 4.66 18 100.1 106 57 52  9 48 52   89 1.535  4.3  4.7  1.082011    25 5.05 22 119.1 115 70 67 21 59 93   83 1.458  4.4  7.0  1.58

He didn't do all that well in previous no-pressure situations on losing teams.