OsnRavensallday

Kidney stones

Yesterday when I woke up I was in unbelievable pain , I'm about to be 26 in couple days and this second time I have had them in my life already . I was around 17-18 when I got them the first time, first time I literally thought I was dying. This time I knew what it was so it wasn't as scary , but just as painful . I wouldn't wish this pain on nobody !!! I called the hospital and they said they really don't do anything beside pain medicine really , I have been using a heat pad and lying around a lot and drinking a good amount of water . Anybody else had kidney stone problems , and what do you do for pain and to get them out faster ??

I had my fist one at 23 or so and have had many in the ten years since. I went to the er the first time and they gave me an iv and morphine and I went home and passed it. Now when I get them I just drink a lot of water, fruit juice, or beer and take a Vicodin if it gets real bad. I don't think there is much else to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Never had them but I've seen a couple grown men break down and cry like babies from them. Must be unbelievably painful. I'd take the pain meds, from what I understand most of the pass naturally. Drink a lot of water I'd guess.

I had one last fall that was too big (7mm)to pass and persisted (off and on) for about two months. Vicodin and percoset were essentially useless. There are a couple of procedures they will do in cases like this, but they seem reluctant to use them. Mine finally broke up when I took an herb called Chanca Piedra. It might have been a coincidence, but soon after taking it, the stone broke up and I passed the various pieces within two days. Good luck with this.

I've had 12 I believe, and 2 surgeries. My last one I told the urologist I didn't want to go to the ER and he said tough spit. He said if the stone is completely blocking the passage of the kidney the kidney could fail. So as I wait for the next one, I will always go to the ER for a CAT scan or sonogram for my own peace of mind. Stones suck.

Edited by Malike

I've had 12 I believe, and 2 surgeries. My last one I told the urologist I didn't want to go to the ER and he said tough spit. He said if the stone is completely blocking the passage of the kidney the kidney could fail. So as I wait for the next one, I will always go to the ER for a CAT scan or sonogram for my own piece of mind. Stones suck.

Wow. You drink a lot of coffee or something?

Wow. You drink a lot of coffee or something?

Yeah, most of us have coffee IV drips going. Need it for the long tours.

Yeah, most of us have coffee IV drips going. Need it for the long tours.

I've cut back since my Navy days, now that I can sleep regularly.

I've cut back since my Navy days, now that I can sleep regularly.

I tried the 5 hour energy stuff and various energy drinks, but they were pretty terrible. I drink 3 pots a day on average I would say.

• Upvote 1

I tried the 5 hour energy stuff and various energy drinks, but they were pretty terrible. I drink 3 pots a day on average I would say.

Yeah, I used to be there. It was free in the Navy. All you could drink, 24/7. Always drank it black too. Now when I drink a cup I put cream in it and it's usually some fancy crap.

Had kidney stones once, 7 years ago... wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I haven't changed my diet, I drink more alcohol and coffee now so hopefully it was a one time thing.

Alright guys thanks for the help, at least I know I'm not alone .lol. This sucker still hasn't passed and I know I passed a couple small pieces but , I can feel it moving around but it isn't as pain full as the first day . It is still uncomfortable as heck. That's funny Sean because that's what I've said sense the first time got them , wouldn't wish them on even my worst enemy . I only usually drink once a week , maybe lil bit more beer will help.smh. They told the first time to much sugar did it , I used to drink around a gallon of tea a day through out my 9-5 on the job site. My GF also did a lil research and found out that once you get them a first time you are more than likely to get them again , and it would be more than likely within 10 years .

Edited by OsnRavensallday

Alright guys thanks for the help, at least I know I'm not alone .lol. This sucker still hasn't passed and I know I passed a couple small pieces but , I can feel it moving around but it isn't as pain full as the first day . It is still uncomfortable as heck. That's funny Sean because that's what I've said sense the first time got them , wouldn't wish them on even my worst enemy . I only usually drink once a week , maybe lil bit more beer will help.smh. They told the first time to much sugar did it , I used to drink around a gallon of tea a day through out my 9-5 on the job site. My GF also did a lil research and found out that once you get them a first time you are more than likely to get them again , and it would be more than likely within 10 years .

High caffeine intake like this (and the 3 pots of coffee :eektf:) will definitely dehydrate you and predispose to kidney stones. No doubt the sweltering heat the past few weeks played a role in this stone as well. HYDRATION is your best defense. Drink lots of water!

High caffeine intake like this (and the 3 pots of coffee :eektf:) will definitely dehydrate you and predispose to kidney stones. No doubt the sweltering heat the past few weeks played a role in this stone as well. HYDRATION is your best defense. Drink lots of water!

In general, you can neutralize a lot of the negative effects of coffee/tea/soda just by drinking a LOT of water a day.