srock

Whiskey

How did I NOT know about this thread?

I'm a huge Bourbon fan..I just finished off a bottle of Michters small barrell, and am 3/4 through a 200 bottle batch Woodford Reserve.

My favorites however are Blantons (so smooth it's almost like a Cognac) or Bookers (the highest proof Bourbon around)

As a bartender...not everything about scotch's was spot on accurate, but for the most part it was good.

One thing to remember: Every Bourbon is a Whiskey, but not every Whiskey, is a Bourbon ;)

One of these days I'm going to make a mint julep and an old fashioned.

I've tried Manhattans a couple times (I make them on the rocks because I don't own and don't like martini glasses) but I've determined that I really don't like sweet vermouth.

One of these days I'm going to make a mint julep and an old fashioned.

I've tried Manhattans a couple times (I make them on the rocks because I don't own and don't like martini glasses) but I've determined that I really don't like sweet vermouth.

Just a splash, don't make a 'perfect' manhattan, which is 50/50 those are gross. Also don't forget to add a few dashes of bitters ;)

TGO, I usually make my Manhattans with a 2-1 whiskey to vermouth ratio. You could try mixing yours 3-1. I don't like sweet vermouth by itself, but when it's properly mixed with the whiskey and the bitters and the ice, it makes a great drink. I like to use Pikesville Rye, It's inexpensive and I found it to be unexpectedly smooth.

Avsfan, a Perfect Manhattan would be 2 or 3 parts whiskey mixed with 1/2 part sweet vermouth and 1/2 part dry vermouth and don't forget the bitters.

Here is the best demonstration of making a Mint Julep that I've ever seen:

Edited by Elrod

Avsfan, a Perfect Manhattan would be 2 or 3 parts whiskey mixed with 1/2 part sweet vermouth and 1/2 part dry vermouth and don't forget the bitters.

Every bartending book I've seen shows that as 50/50 with no dry vermouth...

I'm sure either way is no real difference. Me personally? Splash of sweet...tiny bit of bitters...lots of bourbon :boogie:

Every bartending book I've seen shows that as 50/50 with no dry vermouth...

I'm sure either way is no real difference. Me personally? Splash of sweet...tiny bit of bitters...lots of bourbon :boogie:

I have a small library of bartending books and not one of them has a 50/50 whiskey/sweet vermouth mix. That mix sounds disgusting, and there would be a huge difference in taste! Doing a quick Google search on "Perfect Manhattan", doesn't bring up that recipe either.

That said, a Perfect Manhattan mixed properly might be disgusting too, as I've never tried one myself. Another variation is a Dry Manhattan, which would have dry vermouth instead of the sweet vermouth. Never tried one of those either.

As simple as a Manhattan seems, the bartenders I run into always manage to screw it up somehow; too much vermouth, no bitters, etc. I'm forced to stick with what they know, which is usually just beer and the occasional shot : (

Has anyone ever tried a Rob Roy? It's basically a Manhattan but with Scotch instead of rye or bourbon. That's another one I've never tried, as I usually have my Scotch neat, neat with a splash of water, or on the rocks.

Bump!

Because Orioles fans need whiskey for comfort on the upcoming long, chilly nights.

Anyone know where I can buy Pappy Van Winkle?

• Upvote 1

so I turned 19 a couple days ago and bought myself a bottle of Jameson's. I don't really feel like drinking it yet, but it is nice to look at it and remember that I am an Atlantic Canadian male of Irish descent.

• Upvote 1

My favorite Bourbon (that is normally available): Eagle Rare

My favorite scotch: Bruichladdich (lower peatiness than many Islay Scotches)

RShack has it right on the water thing. If you have an eyedropper, so much the better.

Bump!

Because Orioles fans need whiskey for comfort on the upcoming long, chilly nights.

Anyone know where I can buy Pappy Van Winkle?

It will be released to retail accounts first week of November. Talk to your favorite store and ask them to set some aside for you. The quantities on Van Winkle are EXTREMELY LIMITED and most stores have to jump through hoops to get sizable allocations. A better bet would be to visit a larger store, or a store that sells a lot of specialty whiskies, because they'll have first consideration.

• Upvote 1

I have my special juice box that I take to the opera. At intermission, Michele, our friend Sarah, and I have a little tot of Jameson's.

il_570xN.610224057_4ni3.jpg

Recently had the opportunity to try the Dalmore 12. Really enjoyed it, it had a nice almost black pepper finish to it. As far as Irish Whiskey goes, I really really love Redbreast. My favorite bourbon is probably Knob Creek.