JTrea81

Rosenthal: Orioles willing to trade Bundy, poised for big move?

There is no way I do a deal for Lee and Young with Bundy + ... their too old.
First off it's they're, not their, or there, for that matter. Secondly. it's a trade off. We have a window to go for the WS of the next 2-3 years before things get too expensive for us to keep the core together, and some players have to be replaced. So you add a true TOR like Lee and the chances are very good he takes you deep into the playoffs the next 2-3 years. Bundy has great promise but by the time he is contributing at the ML level, 2016 or thereabouts, who knows what the team will look like. The question about Lee is how much money you can get back from Philly, and what extra you would have to give up for it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Here is one name you can scratch off list of available or potentially available starters. Sources say <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash">#WhiteSox</a> will not trade Chris Sale.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">July 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There's that.

TINSTAAPP. For the right players I'd move Bundy and Gausman. They are special prospects so the return has to be high. I've never been as high on Gausman as most and Bundy's TJ surgery certainly changes how he's valued right now. I think Schoop is the guy I'd hate to give up. He's the best positional prospect we have by far and there's room for him next season if he can handle 2B.

Lee is making so much money that I can't imagine Philly paying enough of it so that the O's take him. And there are teams with bigger budgets that would be willing to take on more of his salary than the O's. In other words, there is barely more than zero percent chance the O's trade for Lee.

One big-time player I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded is Jose Bautista. Toronto ain't going anywhere, and he's 32/33 years old. I could see him as an O's target - since they can control him at 14 mil/year through 2016. It'd make it more pallatible (sp?) for the O's to drop Markakis (15 mil/year) after the 2014 season. Unfortunately, the O's would likely have to give up Bundy. In the long term, it hurts the O's, but is the short-term benefit worth the long-term detriment?

From a purely rehab standpoint, I agree. But I think Bundy has the better fastball location and wider array of secondary offerings. Gausman is healthy and has good stuff, but if batters aren't biting on the change, he's pretty much toast.
Right now he can't throw under hand so I wouldn't say his FB is better. And from what I saw of him I wasn't all that impressed. Plus I see big red flags with his dad, his training regimen, the fact that he threw 168 P in one day in high school, etc. Gausman can be at least a serviceable mid rotation SP IMO.

My take.

I think the O's could run down either the Red Sox or the Rays. I don't think they can run down both. Especially with the developmental hiccups Gausman has been having I am not willing to trade Bundy simply to increase the O's chances of getting a WC.

Lee is making so much money that I can't imagine Philly paying enough of it so that the O's take him. And there are teams with bigger budgets that would be willing to take on more of his salary than the O's. In other words, there is barely more than zero percent chance the O's trade for Lee.

One big-time player I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded is Jose Bautista. Toronto ain't going anywhere, and he's 32/33 years old. I could see him as an O's target - since they can control him at 14 mil/year through 2016. It'd make it more pallatible (sp?) for the O's to drop Markakis (15 mil/year) after the 2014 season. Unfortunately, the O's would likely have to give up Bundy. In the long term, it hurts the O's, but is the short-term benefit worth the long-term detriment?

Philly just signed Gonzo II and they still have Hamels to build around. They could give up Lee plus 20 M for Bundy and Schoop.

Bundy can't contribute to the team before 2015 at the earliest, and that is very unlikely.

I think you constantly overestimate the amount of time it takes to season/rehab in the minors. Bundy has already had his MLB debut. He should be pitching competitively again by mid-2014. It's not very unlikely that he'll contribute to the Baltimore Orioles in 2015. Him in the rotation in 2015 has to be the midrange case, the case you assume until other evidence comes to light. He will certainly be behind schedule if he's sorting himself out in Norfolk or Bowie in 2015.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this, but I am. First of all, that's an awful lot to give up for Encarnacion. Second, no one wants to see Bundy go to a division rival. Third, we would have to listen to Gary Thorne say "Arn-ken-ay-see-own" on a daily basis for the remainder of that contract. A big, fat no.

This right here would be a deal breaker for me, someone should really tell Gary that he's saying it wrong.

Right now he can't throw under hand so I wouldn't say his FB is better. And from what I saw of him I wasn't all that impressed. Plus I see big red flags with his dad, his training regimen, the fact that he threw 168 P in one day in high school, etc.

I would have to say that the fact that a wide range of unbiased third party observers said he's among the best pitching prospects in all of baseball (pre-injury, of course) places your opinion well outside the consensus.

What about Bundy for Norris and Altuve?
I''d offer Bundy, Hoes and Schoop for Edwin. I think that would get their attention.

Yep, those kind of deals would certainly get their attention. They'd pull the trigger inside of 11 nanoseconds.

A potential ace, a consensus very high prospects coming off what's now a fairly routine surgery for some guys who slightly increase the odds of the 2013 Orioles making the playoffs.

I'm not giving up Schoop considering the gaping hole we have at 2B, which he could very well fill next year.

He would be way down the list of guys I would package and move out. Way, way down the list.

I guess I just can't see a Bundy trade that makes a whole lot of sense.

Not unless another team values him the same now as they did six months ago...