Roy Firestone

I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but I dont see us making the playoffs...

We are exactly the same amount of games behind as this point last year, 6 and a

half back. We even have a better record. The problem is we arent looking up at the Yankees (like last year) we are well behind two teams who have MUCH better

pitching and are teams that have gone on long win streaks. That leaves the battle

between us and teams like Cleveland, Texas, Oakland...all teams that are formidable

and give us trouble even at a distance. I really doubt we can WIN the division and

with all of these disappointing performances against sub .500 teams, i think we are

looking at about a 87-88 win season.We have time, and we DO play most of the

teams head to head, but I am not confident with our pitching and spotty offense that

goes away and hides all the time.

I think this has been a good season, but not NEARLY good enough.

Sorry.

I really hope Im wrong.

half back. We even have a better record. The problem is we arent looking up at the Yankees (like last year) we are well behind two teams who have MUCH better

pitching and are teams that have gone on long win streaks. That leaves the battle

between us and teams like Cleveland, Texas, Oakland...all teams that are formidable

and give us trouble even at a distance. I really doubt we can WIN the division and

with all of these disappointing performances against sub .500 teams, i think we are

teams head to head, but I am not confident with our pitching and spotty offense that

Sorry.

I really hope Im wrong.

I would be surprised if you had an optimistic attitude.

Sorry.

I really hope Im wrong.

You're not wrong. We have a team full of #4 starters and a bunch of impatient hitters who swing at pitches 3 feet out of the strike zone. This is still a good team, just not good enough. Really missing a reliable veteran presence hitter in the middle of the lineup and a TOR starter.

Something is going to have to change. We are just plodding along. We cant get wins vs weaker teams. Yes we might have a better record at this date this , year but the competition is better. Boston cancels out the Yanks last year, both Oakland and Texas are strong, this year Tampa is stronger than last year and Cleveland looks better than last , years White Sox. Going on the road might be a good thing, might be.

I realize this thread may seem reactionary, and uncharacteristic for me. But I just have to say it: I'm just not feeling it this year.

There have just been too many games I felt they could have won, but didn't. Too many leads blown. Too many times we came from behind to take a lead and gave it right back. Too many good starts ruined by late runs by the other team. Too many rallies that fell short. Too many times we got runners on base early in an inning and did nothing with it.

I hope people will be rubbing my nose in this thread at the end of September, but I'm just not feeling the magic.

• Upvote 1

They are not playing like a playoff team. This is the part of the schedule where they need to go on a run. 3-3 at home vs. two losing teams. Tack on 1-3 on the road in KC, and you have 4-6 against teams we should have done much better against.

Well, at least Seattle didn't score 8 runs against us for the 3rd game in a row....:o

This team is DONE.

Davis has cooled. Machado is cooled. Jones is what he is. Markakis isn't even an average hitter anymore. Wieters isn't anything special. Hardy is what he is.

We just don't have the offensive weapons.

I think last year spoiled us in a lot of ways. I mean, this game today was a classic game they win last year. Period.

However, in the end, you gotta win more than you lose, and so far, they're doing that. They're not as magical, that's for sure.

Roy your pessimism is warranted. However, we arent out of it yet and we can do well if we just start playing better with some consisitency. Will it happen? We have the guys to get it done, but they just arent showing much right now. There is reason for concern right now. Its not a good feeling.

Losing two out of three to the Mariners at home with their two best pitchers NOT starting against us in unacceptable. Flat out unacceptable. Walking Brenden Ryan and giving up a home run to a 41 year old .172 hitter on an 0-2 pitch is unacceptable. This whole team should be ashamed right now.

I think last year spoiled us in a lot of ways. I mean, this game today was a classic game they win last year. Period.

However, in the end, you gotta win more than you lose, and so far, they're doing that. They're not as magical, that's for sure.

That is the thing, the contrast from last year to this year. We weren't going to come close to matching that but it feels like we have done worse in these types of games than usual. Too many games like this.

This upcoming 8 game stretch will break us. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but this is just not our year. Our hitters have no plate discipline, and our pitching gives up too many untimely hits...to people like Henry Fricking Blanco.

Guest rochester
I realize this thread may seem reactionary, and uncharacteristic for me. But I just have to say it: I'm just not feeling it this year.

There have just been too many games I felt they could have won, but didn't. Too many leads blown. Too many times we came from behind to take a lead and gave it right back. Too many good starts ruined by late runs by the other team. Too many rallies that fell short. Too many times we got runners on base early in an inning and did nothing with it.

I hope people will be rubbing my nose in this thread at the end of September, but I'm just not feeling the magic.

Roy has a similar thread. Ironically, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. There is no doubt that the effort is there but there is a spark missing, and , unfortunately, we do not have a pitching staff like a Tampa Bay that can lead us to a nice streak.