JTrea81

Why no talk of firing Presley?

This just illustrates how important the offense is when your pitching staff is a bunch of #3's and #4's. The Orioles have to score as much as they can when they can because they don't have the pitching to shutdown opposing teams.

If a major league pitching staff can't win when given five runs by the offense, then that's the major problem of the team. Not the hitting.

I have a hard time believing that he's not being intentionally obtuse. If so, then he's not a nice guy.

I agree with this.

I enjoy watching him pick and choose who he responds to.

That, and the fact that Trea never gets rude, I respect that.

This can also be kind of like rubbing salt into the proverbial wounds.

Throwing out inane posts and inane threads, and calmly watching others get worked up over his trolling.

Although I responded to him in this thread (once), I have generally avoided doing so since he declared that the Red Sox don't sell any Yankee gear inside or outside of their stadium in Boston (neither of which is true) 2 years ago, and still wouldn't admit that he was mistaken, in spite of the proof that other showed which illustrated that he was wrong.

Edited by OFFNY

Before the ASB the O's averaged 4.8 R and had a .552 win %. After the ASB they have averaged 4.5 R and have a .550 win %. Much ado about nothing IMO.

:angryfire:

Losses by playoff contenders when scoring five or more runs:

Red Sox - 8

Tigers - 9

Rangers - 3

A's - 6

Rays - 10

Orioles - 14

Indians - 9

Royals - 4

Yankees - 4

This just illustrates how important the offense is when your pitching staff is a bunch of #3's and #4's. The Orioles have to score as much as they can when they can because they don't have the pitching to shutdown opposing teams.

Holy Crap, we are losing too many games where we score more than 5 runs. If the Orioles do not fire the hitting coach this very minute it proves, beyond anything, that the Orioles lack commitment and an honest attempt to win.

If a major league pitching staff can't win when given five runs by the offense, then that's the major problem of the team. Not the hitting.

On the good side, they've given up 5+ runs 18 times in 53 games in the last two months while the rotation has begun to stabilize with the addition of Norris and the return of Chen. Not good, but getting better.

Record of AL Playoff contenders when scoring 3 runs or less:

Red Sox: 9-36 (20%)

Tigers: 7-32 (17.9%)

Rangers: 12-41 (22.6%)

A's: 13-40 (24.5%)

Rays: 15-34 (30.6%)

Orioles: 11-31 (26.2%)

Indians: 12-39 (23.5%)

Royals: 15-45 (25%)

Yankees: 13-46 (22%)

Totals: 107-344 (23.7%)

They aren't alone in struggling when scoring three runs or less. Only one playoff contender is better in those games, and that's, unsurprisingly, Tampa Bay.

These records are pretty meaningless. We don't know how many games the teams scored 3 runs and how many times they scored 0 runs. I think a better statistic would be what a teams record is when they score 3 runs exactly. We know what a teams winning percentage is if it scores zero runs so need to include that.

Losses by playoff contenders when scoring five or more runs:

Red Sox - 8

Tigers - 9

Rangers - 3

A's - 6

Rays - 10

Orioles - 14

Indians - 9

Royals - 4

Yankees - 4

Once again meaningless information. One team might have score 5 or more runs twice as many times another team. One team might have a median runs scored of 8 whenever they score 5 or more runs another team might have a median of 6 runs when they score 5 or more runs.

Some people would be pissed if we got a multi time all-star catcher who his 20 bombs a year and wins gold gloves, instead of the player their mommy said we drafted. Can't satisfy everyone.

Right? I love that .235 batting average and that .297 on base percentage! Awesome, man!

Right? I love that .235 batting average and that .297 on base percentage! Awesome, man!

Especially when the guy had like the best season in the last 40 years for a minor leaguer...

Makes you wonder what Wieters would have been like for the Red Sox or Yankees had they drafted him...

Once again meaningless information. One team might have score 5 or more runs twice as many times another team. One team might have a median runs scored of 8 whenever they score 5 or more runs another team might have a median of 6 runs when they score 5 or more runs.

Not exactly. The finger is being pointed at pitching and rightly so. Probably a different picture in the past 2 months, but the info isn't meaningless.

I know once Trea gets an idea in his head it will never go away, no matter how illogical it is but let me try this.

You admit that the approach worked tonight. And given the rankings for the team in many offensive categories and situational splits, not to mention their overall win/loss record, it is rather obvious that the approach is working more times than it is not.

You seem to be upset that it does not work all the time.

You do know that nothing is 100% right?

Firing Presley would be simply useless.

It would be high comedy.

It would be so ridiculously stupid that it is hard to put into words.

But hey whatever dude. Keep doing what your doing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I don't think anyone is denying he is having a really crappy year. But catchers do tend to mature later. He is still a young player and no one denies his raw ability.

He is still a big reason why we are where we are.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

So much animosity over someone's opinion.

Geesh. :rolleyes:

I know it would be tough to admit it at times, but the Orioles batters' hyper-aggressive batting style (i.e. always, always, always going for the homerun instead of getting on base) sometimes costs them games.

We've seen their performance in clutch RISP situations (like yesterday's game against the Giants) and their inability to work the count or recognize bad pitches is horrible.

Just sayin...

MSK