JTrea81

Interesting quotes from a beleaguered Buck Showalter...

First of all - Its been mentioned several times - I've posted them above - you just choose to ignore them. (Why is that? Doesn't that seem strange that you would do that?)

Strange? That's the game. Drill the same crap over and over and over. ignore and deflect any counter points and incredulously state that his opinion is being disrespected.

I don't gave the answer which is why I ask the question. Doesn't it seem strange to anybody else that the organization has avoided talking about the World Series as a goal directly? That there has been no mention of ending a 30 year drought?

You're obviously a cross dresser. I mean you haven't stated otherwise.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

Why do you guys play along with this? I guess this stuff is just so dumb that it's entertaining to engage? I'm sincerely curious.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

Why do you guys play along with this? I guess this stuff is just so dumb that it's entertaining to engage? I'm sincerely curious.
Try not to look at a traffic accident. Or a bat man streaker being chased by old cops. Or a naked 300 lb fat lady. Edited by El Gordo

Yea, I think it's mostly that. And a little bit of trying to ensure the rest of the board doesn't start buying into some of his less overtly wacky stuff. Like the RISP crap. Some people actually think you can identify good RISP hitters as a skill separate from overall hitting, so it's useful to point out the volumes of research that show that's bunk.

During an interview with Bob Haynie and Mark Zinno of 105.7 The Fan this afternoon, the Orioles manager said: "It's not just about the playoffs. You're trying to win a world championship. You're trying to be the last team standing. Crazier things have happened in people's minds, so why not?"

Trea - Buck's statement directly contradicts your contention that no one in the organization is "talking about a World Series as a goal directly." Why are you ignoring Buck's statement. I don't have the answer which is why I ask the question.

I missed that post. So you have Buck saying it once. When was that exactly? Curious.

I think that's it, along with him thinking he's smarter than everybody. In a way his use of logical fallacies and hyperbole is quite ingenious. Of course it could be that he's just playing us, but I don't think so based on the Orioles Anonymous stuff and considering the overall picture.

I think he's just a fascinating, if not unbelievable character quite frankly. Like I'm fascinated by gorillas at the zoo. If you had a chance to meet and somehow converse with a Neanderthal man would you want to do it? I would. As long as there's no chance he'll club you over the head.

• Upvote 1

Yea, I think it's mostly that. And a little bit of trying to ensure the rest of the board doesn't start buying into some of his less overtly wacky stuff. Like the RISP crap. Some people actually think you can identify good RISP hitters as a skill separate from overall hitting, so it's useful to point out the volumes of research that show that's bunk.

The kind of hitting with RISP that we saw from De Rosa the other night is a skill. Trouble is it's a skill that doesn't translate into a 500 PA a season. It is one that keeps an aging role player in the game. I bet we could improve our RISP average if we filled the team with De Rosa's. It's just that we wouldn't have too many opportunities to hit with RISP.

The kind of hitting with RISP that we saw from De Rosa the other night is a skill. Trouble is it's a skill that doesn't translate into a 500 PA a season. It is one that keeps an aging role player in the game. I bet we could improve our RISP average if we filled the team with De Rosa's. It's just that we wouldn't have too many opportunities to hit with RISP.

For his career, DeRosa is a .737 OPS hitter with bases empty and a .761 OPS hitter with RISP. You could be right and the 24 point difference is a skill but I prefer to explain it by pitchers pitching worse from the stretch.

So you think that veteran players can separate their RISP ability with limited AB's?

For his career, DeRosa is a .737 OPS hitter with bases empty and a .761 OPS hitter with RISP. You could be right and the 24 point difference is a skill but I prefer to explain it by pitchers pitching worse from the stretch.

Some players bear done and concentrate more when men in scoring positions, of course, it doesn't always mean success. :)

That's actually a decent separation and doesn't appear to be inflated by a lot of IBB's.

Both those pitches he hit were fairly good pitches. If he were swinging for the fences he probably would have missed them. He was just trying to make contact and hit the ball the other way. It's something every O's batter could do if they chose to. It just will result in many more outs than R.

If he were swinging for the fences he probably would have missed them.

It is interesting you say this because, again, for his career:

Bases empty: .150 ISO, .297 BABIP

RISP: .129 ISO, .314 BABIP

But then again:

Bases empty: 17.4 K%

RISP: 18.5 K%

I mention this because people complain a lot abot striking out with runners on but here you have a guy who might actually have an advanced RISP approach and he K's slightly more with RISP.