isestrex

The Blame Game

What is the PRIMARY reason for the Orioles missing the playoffs  

109 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What is the PRIMARY reason for the Orioles missing the playoffs

• Duquette's offseason moves last winter
    • Buck's Decision making (lineup, bullpen)
    • Jim Johnson's 9 blown saves
    • Markakis/Wieters poor seasons
    • Duquette's trade deadline moves
    • Rotation as a whole
    • Hitters with RISP
    • Hitters lack of walks / too many K's
    • Other (please explain)
    • Nothing. It's just one of those years.

How much can they really improve at this point?

I think some moves need to be made. You can expect offensive improvement from Machado, and Schoop has a chance to be an impact regular. Tillman has, I think, still a little bit more unrealized potential. Gausman with another pitch could be an impact starter next year. Add in a hopefully healthy Norris and Chen and the core is solid. The team needs to find offensive upgrades at a couple of positions, and they need to find some guys who can get on base. If it were me I'd go after Shin-Soo Choo pretty damn hard this offseason. Depending on Machado's health I'd also think about dealing Hardy for help in another area and moving Machado over to short. Depends on who we can dig up to play third, though.

Bullpen wise I'd probably let Johnson go this offseason and seek another solution there. Not a "proven" closer but an experienced reliever who can miss bats. Let whoever that is and Hunter duke it out for the closer's job next spring. I'd try to use some of the money saved from dumping Johnson and not resigning Roberts to target another starting pitcher.

If we play .500 this year we have 88 wins right now. If we play .500 last year we would have finished with 83. If we had duplicated last years success we would have 98 wins right now.

What he said! We just couldn't bottle our luck from last year and pour it into this season. It's nobody's and everyone fault we didn't make the playoffs.

Imagine if this team were able to add even just a decent DH and a guy like James Shields last offseason... We'd be picking out our seats for the first home game of the post-season.

Jake Odorizzi and Will Myers were a little less than Machado and Bundy would have been. But that would have been the only pieces we could have sent to obtain Shields. I guess since they are both hurt, it would have made sense. :)

How much can they really improve at this point?

Bingo, at this point, save for Machado, Gausman and Schoop, your guys with less that 2 years of service, these guys are who they are. They've been in the majors for several years now and most are at their prime meaning the only place to go is down. And what we have certainly is a good core, but a good core is not enough as we've seen this season.

Chris Davis, Adam Johns, Chris Tillman, and J.J. Hardy all improved substantially after their first two years in the league. They improved, they did not stay at the level that they were at at age 22 or 23. The idea that all players are at their level at that age or after that amount of experience is often wrong. Often.

During any team sport, would you agree there a many plays that are and are not made that could change the outcome of the game? Many fans see the last outcome as the "reason" for a loss. Kicker missing last minute FG, Basketball player missing 2 free throws with team down by 1. Yet they forget the missed block that would have given the QB more time to throw a TD pass or open a hole for a RB to score. Or the missed dunk or turnover that cost the team 2 points in the first quarter. It's the same in baseball. Outfielder misses the cut off man allowing runner to move up a base and they score on a hit with two outs and the next batter makes an out. There are always OTHER plays any number of players could have made during the game that could have changed the outcome. It's just easier, more convenient to blame the last person/play that caused you not to win.

Exactly. This is a winner. Particularly in close games, there's a natural tendency to blame the last player who messed up. Someone already posted that the team hit .202 with RISP in one run games - a couple of additional RISP hits, or a sac fly and a hit, would have extended a lead, or turned a one run deficit into a lead. Our opponents managed to come back on us late many more than a few times (team has 28 or 29 blown saves, and a bunch of ties turned into deficits), whereas we didn't have a lot of late (seventh inning and beyond) come from behind wins. Last season, we did.

Exactly. This is a winner. Particularly in close games, there's a natural tendency to blame the last player who messed up. Someone already posted that the team hit .202 with RISP in one run games - a couple of additional RISP hits, or a sac fly and a hit, would have extended a lead, or turned a one run deficit into a lead. Our opponents managed to come back on us late many more than a few times (team has 28 or 29 blown saves, and a bunch of ties turned into deficits), whereas we didn't have a lot of late (seventh inning and beyond) come from behind wins. Last season, we did.

That quote from Buck makes it sound like they will not bring Johnson back. Signing Johnson would be "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul".

That quote from Buck makes it sound like they will not bring Johnson back. Signing Johnson would be "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul".

If you think that's what Buck meant, then you don't know Buck.

If you think that's what Buck meant, then you don't know Buck.

I know what Buck meant, it sounds like to me they don't want to spend big dollars on pitchers. Isn't Johnson getting expensive? I don't think they are bringing him back.

I know what Buck meant, it sounds like to me they don't want to spend big dollars on pitchers. Isn't Johnson getting expensive? I don't think they are bringing him back.

To me, rob Peter to pay Paul means a few things.

1. Using top pitching prospects like Rodriguez, Gausman, Bundy, etc. to land a top pitcher.

2. Spending money on a top FA hitter/pitcher and then not being able to sign there own guys

3. Weakening one area to strengthen another

The Orioles might move Jim Johnson. I don't think Buck's comments convey that.

• Upvote 1

To me, rob Peter to pay Paul means a few things.

1. Using top pitching prospects like Rodriguez, Gausman, Bundy, etc. to land a top pitcher.

2. Spending money on a top FA hitter/pitcher and then not being able to sign there own guys

3. Weakening one area to strengthen another

The Orioles might move Jim Johnson. I don't think Buck's comments convey that.

:agree: My opinion also.

Sadly Jim Johnson has to take a large part of the blame. He took so many games that we had in the bag and blew them.

Also our bullpen and pitching took a step back this year and in the end,helped seal our fate.

In the end, was Johnson's season that bad? He was never going to repeat 2012, that was a career year. Yes, he blew 9 saves, but he also saved 48 games. 48 out of 57 is an 84.2 percent conversion rate. In his entire career, Trevor Hoffman's conversion rate was 89 percent. If Johnson had matched Hoffman's career averages, this year, he would have saved two or three extra games. Two or three extra wins do not put this team in the playoffs. If we were 86-73 right now, we'd be three games out with three left to play.