jamalshw

Is it too early to plan for 2014?

Actually, the way you just gutted the team, would might think you were still asleep or dreaming.

What was gutted exactly? Who is not replaceable that performed well?

What was gutted exactly? Who is not replaceable that performed well?

I guess I have to remind you, of your own words:

Nick Markakis (trade - eat all but $4 million) ($4 million)

Matt Wieters (trade) ($7 million)

Jim Johnson (trade/DFA) ($7 million)

Tommy Hunter (trade/DFA) ($2 million)

Troy Patton (trade/DFA) ($1 million)

Brian Matusz (trade/DFA) ($2 million)

Nolan Reimold (DFA) ($1 million)

For all those you want to trade for under performing, what exactly do expect to get back for?

Keep in mind I'm working under a budget and the talent dropped may seem like names but go look at the value of that talent. 4 relievers combined for 2.5 fWAR and we spent close to 10 million on them. Wieters was worth 2.4 fWAR and Markakis was at 0.2. That value is replaceable and you gain it back with Choo, Butler and SP.

Now if I could increase pa 1Myroll a bit, I'd keep Wieters and maybe Matusz, but on a budget with the additions in pitching and OBP, that's not where I would spend the money.

24 M saved; Butler 8 M, Burnet 14, Choo 16 M, Lewis 4 M Bedard 1 M, total 45 M. So the payroll is now at 115 M and you are going to have to pay for all the prospects you got back in the Wieters and JJ trade. They aren't free. And who are you trading for Butler? KC doesn't need Wieters or JJ.

24 M saved; Butler 8 M, Burnet 14, Choo 16 M, Lewis 4 M Bedard 1 M, total 45 M. So the payroll is now at 115 M and you are going to have to pay for all the prospects you got back in the Wieters and JJ trade. They aren't free. And who are you trading for Butler? KC doesn't need Wieters or JJ.

Saw something on nbchardball the other day, they claimed Bulter was the slowest person in the entire MLB. :)

Saw something on nbchardball the other day, they claimed Bulter was the slowest person in the entire MLB. :)
I don't care how slow he is, I'd love to have him at DH, but he would cost too much in salary and trade.

I guess I have to remind you, of your own words:

Nick Markakis (trade - eat all but $4 million) ($4 million)

Matt Wieters (trade) ($7 million)

Jim Johnson (trade/DFA) ($7 million)

Tommy Hunter (trade/DFA) ($2 million)

Troy Patton (trade/DFA) ($1 million)

Brian Matusz (trade/DFA) ($2 million)

Nolan Reimold (DFA) ($1 million)

For all those you want to trade for under performing, what exactly do expect to get back for?

Minor leaguers with upside, some bullpen help perhaps maybe even a draft pick in the case of Wieters. The point is to clear salary to spend on more important areas.

Minor leaguers with upside, some bullpen help perhaps maybe even a draft pick in the case of Wieters. The point is to clear salary to spend on more important areas.

You can't clear salary, unless you find a willing dance partner to dance with you, and if they do trade, you will be bringing back salary.

Just unrealistic.

You make it sound so simple.

Keep in mind we are getting rid of Roberts, Betemit, McLouth as well so there are savings there I'm not sure you accounted for. As for Butler, Ed Rodriguez is a price I'm more than willing to pay. And maybe they'd want somebody like Hunter or Matusz.

You can't clear salary, unless you find a willing dance partner to dance with you, and if they do trade, you will be bringing back salary.

Just unrealistic.

You make it sound so simple.

You don't bring back much salary as you look for pre-arb guys with upside that have options. And if we can't find a dance partner for the relievers, I just non-tender them. I'm sure we can find a taker for Wieters without eating salary.

You don't bring back much salary as you look for pre-arb guys with upside that have options. And if we can't find a dance partner for the relievers, I just non-tender them. I'm sure we can find a taker for Wieters without eating salary.

If you replace Wieters will a AAA catcher, that will cost you ball games for sure.

I thought you want to build a winning team?

Keep in mind we are getting rid of Roberts, Betemit, McLouth as well so there are savings there I'm not sure you accounted for. As for Butler, Ed Rodriguez is a price I'm more than willing to pay. And maybe they'd want somebody like Hunter or Matusz.

I have kept that in mind. Why don't you go over to Cot's and figure out the payroll. If we do nothing including not signing Betemit, Roberts, and McLouth the payroll will be around 90 M+ when you factor in salary increases and arbitration. So your reductions bring it to 66 M+ and you additions makes it 111 M +. I have seen no indication that PA intends to raise his ceiling.

If you replace Wieters will a AAA catcher, that will cost you ball games for sure.

I thought you want to build a winning team?

The drop off wouldn't be as large as you would think as other teams with catchers not named Matt Wieters are in the playoffs. You make up the value elsewhere.

The drop off wouldn't be as large as you would think as other teams with catchers not named Matt Wieters are in the playoffs. You make up the value elsewhere.

Do you understand the game of baseball, and the value of having a great defensive catcher behind the plate?

This is essential position in baseball!

Do you understand the game of baseball, and the value of having a great defensive catcher behind the plate?

This is essential position in baseball!

The Orioles went to the ALCS twice with probably the worst defensive catchers in baseball. The catcher position is valuable, but Wieters is not irreplaceable.