jamalshw

Is it too early to plan for 2014?

The Orioles went to the ALCS twice with probably the worst defensive catchers in baseball. The catcher position is valuable, but Wieters is not irreplaceable.
The question isn't if Wieters is irreplaceable, though you have no way of establishing his true value to the team. The question is what team needs an upgrade in C enough to take on his salary, give up good prospects, as well as a pick? If as you say C is so easily replaceable why would any team want to give up much for him? Which team did you have in mind? I love these nebulous trade proposals that don't take into consideration the potential market and return. :rolleyestf:

The Orioles went to the ALCS twice with probably the worst defensive catchers in baseball. The catcher position is valuable, but Wieters is not irreplaceable.

2012 - Posey

2011 - Molina

2010 - Posey

2009 - Posada

You notice a tend for the last four WS winning rosters?

The drop off wouldn't be as large as you would think as other teams with catchers not named Matt Wieters are in the playoffs. You make up the value elsewhere.

Just to be clear. You think, a guy who was a throw-in in a roster dump of two players should be the starting catcher on a playoff contending team?

I like Clevenger but you are extremely over-valuing him. And assuming that Buck would put up with his poor defense.

Just to be clear. You think, a guy who was a throw-in in a roster dump of two players should be the starting catcher on a playoff contending team?

I like Clevenger but you are extremely over-valuing him. And assuming that Buck would put up with his poor defense.

I think Duquette targeted Clevenger. And I'd platoon him with a veteran backup anyway but Buck wouldn't have many other options so he'd be forced to play him.

The question isn't if Wieters is irreplaceable, though you have no way of establishing his true value to the team. The question is what team needs an upgrade in C enough to take on his salary, give up good prospects, as well as a pick? If as you say C is so easily replaceable why would any team want to give up much for him? Which team did you have in mind? I love these nebulous trade proposals that don't take into consideration the potential market and return. :rolleyestf:

Plenty of teams still overvalue catchers, so Wieters would have plenty of suitors. Wieters would be cheaper than McCann, so the Braves could be interested.

I think Duquette targeted Clevenger. And I'd platoon him with a veteran backup anyway but Buck wouldn't have many other options so he'd be forced to play him.

Clevenger has a .587 OPS against opposite-handed pitching.

2012 - Posey

2011 - Molina

2010 - Posey

2009 - Posada

You notice a tend for the last four WS winning rosters?

And Chris Hoiles was the worst defensive C in baseball in 1996. :rolleyestf: He was a 2.5 UZR. The worst C that year was Mike Stanley at -9.3.

And Chris Hoiles was the worst defensive C in baseball in 1996. :rolleyestf: He was a 2.5 UZR. The worst C that year was Mike Stanley at -9.3.

I could buy his argument about trading Wieters to get wins in other areas, since I like to think that way sometimes, but Clevenger is probably not an answer here. Defense or no.

And I think Wieters has enough of a bat and glove and arm to justify what he will likely make next year. He's not a guy I want long-term, as he'll probably be in a wheelchair by 32 (which didn't stop Jason Giambi). But he's pretty important to the offense all things considered. The plight of being a switch-hitting catcher is you get to play more.

They didnt make the world series, either. :)

Plenty of teams still overvalue catchers, so Wieters would have plenty of suitors. Wieters would be cheaper than McCann, so the Braves could be interested.

You base this on what? What you pulled out of your service entrance? at 30 with some injury issues recently I doubt McCann gets more than 10 M per as a FA. Wieters will get about 7 M. So the Braves will give up a couple of top SP prospects in order to save 3 M? :rofl: Who else did you have in mind besides them.?

I could buy his argument about trading Wieters to get wins in other areas, since I like to think that way sometimes, but Clevenger is probably not an answer here. Defense or no.

And I think Wieters has enough of a bat and glove and arm to justify what he will likely make next year. He's not a guy I want long-term, as he'll probably be in a wheelchair by 32 (which didn't stop Jason Giambi). But he's pretty important to the offense all things considered. The plight of being a switch-hitting catcher is you get to play more.

Nothing wrong with trading Wieters but who are you trading him to, and what are you getting in return? If you can't answer that, there's no point in even bringing it up. You might as well say lets trade Manny, we could get every thing we need to get to the WS for him.

I hate to say it, but another team that would make sense is the Yankees. They always view themselves as contenders and have a hole there right now.