Can_of_corn

Johnson Part of the Core

Or anyone who can reasonably perform the role. And to SJ's earlier post regarding closer by committee never working, I have rarely if ever seen a mgr. today use that system for an entire season but there is no evidence it doesn't work.

Right, I just used Wright since he is an in house option. It is not uncommon at all for a rookie pitcher to take over a team's closer position.

Keeping Johnson and tying up that much money in a closer makes no sense unless you are going to raise payroll significantly. I am pretty confident somebody like Darren O'Day could step in to the role and do just as good for less.

I really want a bullpen that can get a strikeout.

Keeping Johnson and tying up that much money in a closer makes no sense unless you are going to raise payroll significantly. I am pretty confident somebody like Darren O'Day could step in to the role and do just as good for less.

O'Day's platoon splits probably make him more of a matchup guy. The problem with a few of our relievers. From what I've seen, I wouldn't doubt Stinson could do it though.

O'Day's platoon splits probably make him more of a matchup guy. The problem with a few of our relievers. From what I've seen, I wouldn't doubt Stinson could do it though.

He looks like a likely candidate.

George Sherrill was a matchup guy too that we converted into a closer. Had we kept Jake Arrieta, that is the role I thought he was perfect for.

Remember saves are a useless stat. But we are gonna use nine blown saves as a reason to run him out of town and throw an already shaky pen into even more flux.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hypocrites!!

A couple of other names to think about for the closer role - Steve Johnson and Miguel Gonzalez. Johnson would get a ton of K's and I think Gonzalez could be a lights out type of guy as he's shown when he's on. His problem has always been stamina.

Remember saves are a useless stat. But we are gonna use nine blown saves as a reason to run him out of town and throw an already shaky pen into even more flux.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

It's not running him out of town because he's terrible, it's about allocating 10% of your payroll to a guy that has been worth 1 win over replacement this season when you can get that 1 WAR a heck of a lot cheaper.