Can_of_corn

Johnson Part of the Core

It's not running him out of town because he's terrible, it's about allocating 10% of your payroll to a guy that has been worth 1 win over replacement this season when you can get that 1 WAR a heck of a lot cheaper.

That is you, me and a few other posters Trea. We also have guys blaming JJ for blowing the O's WS chances last year and playoff hopes this season.

Wouldn't be surprised if they try Johnson as a SP in ST. Wouldn't be surprised if they shop him this winter.

I would be floored if they paid JJ 8ish million and tried him as a starter.

George Sherrill was a matchup guy too that we converted into a closer. Had we kept Jake Arrieta, that is the role I thought he was perfect for.

Sometimes you do what you have to do. O'day has some success against LHB's but was pretty darn brutal this year. I agree that Arrieta was better suited for relief, but he was also a huge head case.

40.2 innings in 2005.

Still, that's close. I'd completely forgotten about him. Try to block out the MDM.

I'm having trouble envisioning Buck using a rookie closer with zero prior MLB experience. And no MiLB relief appearances since the Sally League. Not saying it wouldn't/couldn't work...

Had we kept Jake Arrieta, that is the role I thought he was perfect for.

You wanna put a guy, Arrieta, who melts under the pressure of having to pitch with a runner on base into the closers role? Put him in the MOST stressful situations and expect him to be able to succeed?

Of all the stupid ideas you've had, this by FAR exceeds them all!

Right, I just used Wright since he is an in house option. It is not uncommon at all for a rookie pitcher to take over a team's closer position.

I'm in agreement, I just don't know that they would use Wright for that. So, you don't like him as a starter? Or maybe you want to transition him into that role?

O'Day's platoon splits probably make him more of a matchup guy. The problem with a few of our relievers. From what I've seen, I wouldn't doubt Stinson could do it though.

I think he really increased his value near the end of the year and he would be another option, but I don't think he has jumped that far ahead in Buck's eyes.

Still, that's close. I'd completely forgotten about him. Try to block out the MDM.

I'm having trouble envisioning Buck using a rookie closer with zero prior MLB experience. And no MiLB relief appearances since the Sally League. Not saying it wouldn't/couldn't work...

I think Buck was behind the Gregg signing so I agree with your skepticism.

I am not postulating what I think will happen but what I wish would happen.

I'm in agreement, I just don't know that they would use Wright for that. So, you don't like him as a starter? Or maybe you want to transition him into that role?

I am far, far from an expert but yea, I don't think he will be more then a back end guy and I think he could have more value in the pen.

40.2 innings in 2005.

Right. I think Jorge Julio would qualify though. 21.1 IP in 2001 and took over closing in 2002. He got 3rd place for RoY and then it was all downhill from there...

• Upvote 1

I think Buck was behind the Gregg signing so I agree with your skepticism.

I am not postulating what I think will happen but what I wish would happen.

Yep, wouldn't doubt it. I remember Buck talking about Gregg's nerves of steel at about the time of the signing.

It's not running him out of town because he's terrible, it's about allocating 10% of your payroll to a guy that has been worth 1 win over replacement this season when you can get that 1 WAR a heck of a lot cheaper.
That is you, me and a few other posters Trea. We also have guys blaming JJ for blowing the O's WS chances last year and playoff hopes this season.

Right, there's plenty of blame to go around, but unless I missed the memo we should not be spending $8 to $10 mil on relievers.

Unless, unless.... Ol' Pete is feeling his oats and has decided to open up his wallet because he wants that championship before he croaks. :boogie:

Fangraphs has him pegged at 0.8WAR on the season and a dollar worth of $4.1M. Granted those figures aren't gospel, but it sure does feel like an overpay on our part.

If JJ were elite then $9M sure! But he is really just an above average reliever who tends to struggle with his mechanics from one outing to the next and who relies heavily on generating double-plays for his saves.

Fangraphs is going to undervalue him because Fangraphs WAR doesn't really like pitch-to-contact pitchers who have above-average skills at avoiding hard contact. B-R has him at 2.4, 2.7, and 1.5 wins over the past 3 years.