bigbird

Roch's latest: Roberts deal pulled?

I think the one thing you can say for certain is that the Cubs probably feel like they got the rug pulled out from under them by the O's... again.

That alone should be cause for alarm, considering repairing the O's image around baseball was seemingly one of MacPhail's directives.

Who knows whether or not the reports from Chicago are true, but what we do know is that there's a lot of smoke here once again. I wouldn't expect the Orioles to come out and say Angelos vetoed the trade since they never publicly said he veotoed the Roberts to Atlanta trade last offseason (Angelos was the only one who admitted it, no one in the front ofice ever did).

Tell you the truth, with the limited amount of information coming from the Orioles right now, I don't know what to think anymore. I'm thoroughly confused and somewhat dissapointed in what's happened this offseason with not only the lack of moves, but the total lack of information given out by the O's. Basically the only time they respond is when they are asked to confirm other rumors and then it's always a denial.

Isn't it funny that all within 6 months, the O's organization has gone from one that is committed to "being honest with the fans" to all this cloak and dagger stuff?

Not surprising considering it filters from the top.

What is the upside to them of telling the public any details about not-completed or yet-to-be completed trades? If it were my organization, I'd want no information whatsoever out there until a deal was done.

How about keeping the fans interested on your team during the offseason? How about little bits of information like yes, we are negotiaiting with teams like the Mariners and Reds right now?

Basically, because of their lack of information, people start to specualte and rumors start to crop up and then everyone eventually gets to where we are now, FRUSTRATIONVILLE!!!!!

The man has a gazillion $$$ and is older than dirt. Do you really think "the furure of rebuilding" is anywhere at the top of his bucket list????

Absolutely, that's why he hired MacPhail. To fix his screwups.

I know you guys are a bunch of cynics, and rightfull so. But you guys have to understand the reasoning in bringing in MacPhail.

No disrespect, but have you been watching this organization for the last 13 years? I am referring to what I highlighted above. Angelos has been doing this to respected GM's for years. AM is being paid by PA, what is he going to say, the s.o.b. lied to me, he nixed a deal, screw him? No, he is saving face. I agree MacPhail is a stand up guy, class act, and very well respected baseball guy. However, until proven otherwise, Pete thinks he knows more then AM. History proves that.

This is Angelos to a tee. That is how he works. Ask anyone who has worked with him. AM will find out the hard way. :(

I think the one thing you can say for certain is that the Cubs probably feel like they got the rug pulled out from under them by the O's... again.

That alone should be cause for alarm, considering repairing the O's image around baseball was seemingly one of MacPhail's directives.

Can you really use certain and probably in the same sentence to mean the same thing. Probably is not certain. If you've got some proof or even some link to back it up, let's have it.

Yes I have, because I have had friends that played in the organization and know exactly how piss poor it HAS been.

Let me reiterate this one more time. MacPhail would not come here for that type of work environment. He doesn't play games and if Angelos was going to play games with him he would of said thanks but no thanks. Trust me, this guy can get a job with any organization in the Majors. He doesn't need the BS from Angelos. He was hired to do one thing and that is to turn the ship around from all the BAD decisions previously made.

I totally agree with you. AM would not have taken this job if Angelos said things were going to be the same. However, he was just quoted as saying the owner has the right to veto any deal. I like MacPhail a lot. I think he can turn this ship around and get the Orioles back to being a winning franchise. If PA promised him the moon and stars, and is still the same leopard with the same spots, then deals will be nixed and the losing will continue. Hopefully MacPhail gets his way otherwise he will resign by the end of the year.

Yes I have, because I have had friends that played in the organization and know exactly how piss poor it HAS been.

Let me reiterate this one more time. MacPhail would not come here for that type of work environment. He doesn't play games and if Angelos was going to play games with him he would of said thanks but no thanks. Trust me, this guy can get a job with any organization in the Majors. He doesn't need the BS from Angelos. He was hired to do one thing and that is to turn the ship around from all the BAD decisions previously made.

I disagree...MacPhail wants to replace Selig. He needs to be currently involved in the game somewhere, somehow. Not a sidline player. Angelos and he worked together in the past. Very good chance PGA sold a false bill of goods. Didn't AM actually say something about the the job being more demanding than he thought? With Selig's job as a goal I also don't think AM would up and quit.

Especially after it's taken us years to get us back our good name (after hiring MacPhail) after we did the same thing to Marlins a few years back. If this is true, it explains why other steams are suddenly getting very, very weary of us.

How about keeping the fans interested on your team during the offseason? How about little bits of information like yes, we are negotiaiting with teams like the Mariners and Reds right now?

Basially, because of their lack of information, people start to specualte and rumors start to crop up and then everyone eventually gets to where we are now, FRUSTRATIONVILLE!!!!!

Would you rather be a well-informed fan and get back less for your players or be frustrated and then surprised when we get back better deals?

If you don't think keeping things close to the vest hurts his negotiating standpoint, that's one thing, but there is absolutely no chance that having information out there could possibly help.

Its very frustrating, thats for damn sure, but MacPhail's job is not to keep us from being frustrated while the plan is being enacted, its to build a good team. Sometimes those two things are, in fact, mutually exclusive.

Basically, because of their lack of information, people start to specualte and rumors start to crop up and then everyone eventually gets to where we are now, FRUSTRATIONVILLE!!!!!

LOL. Tony, could the truth be any more entertaining than the rumors we've been getting all offseason? I'd say there has been plenty of interest around here.

Especially after it's taken us years to get us back our good name (after hiring MacPhail) after we did the same thing to Marlins a few years back. If this is true, it explains why other steams are suddenly getting very, very weary of us.

Are there reports that teams are getting weary of us?

Bingo....many articles daily in the NY fish wraps.

Absolutely, that's why he hired MacPhail. To fix his screwups.

I know you guys are a bunch of cynics, and rightfull so. But you guys have to understand the reasoning in bringing in MacPhail.

I know part of the exact reason which I'll post once my source leaves. Promise!

Bingo....many articles daily in the NY fish wraps.

That's pretty funny, because the Yanks have done absolutely nothing all offseason, except sit on this Santana trade. Maybe the NY writers are just better at rehashing the same old thing over and over again.