Greg

Nelson Cruz ?

He was worth exactly $10 million last year. Forget the fact he'll be entering into his age 33 season, I wouldn't give him a dime over that $10 million he just earned, just for arguments sake. You think he's coming for that?

Who exactly on the Orioles would you describe as AAAA trash?

You don't have to like them, but calling them trash (again) is completely unnecessary.

Francisco Peguero- Is gonna see a lot of playing time this year.

David Lough- I like him but he's a number 4 not a starter.

Nolan Reimold- He might give you a good 10 games a year.

Cruz is a huge upgrade in LF over them.

Henry Urrutia and Steve Pearce- Right now are your DH

Michael Almanzar- Couldn't even make the Red Sox last year at 3rd base and they were awful at 3rd. That tells you all you need to know.

Francisco Peguero- Is gonna see a lot of playing time this year.

David Lough- I like him but he's a number 4 not a starter.

Nolan Reimold- He might give you a good 10 games a year.

Cruz is a huge upgrade in LF over them.

Henry Urrutia and Steve Pearce- Right now are your DH

Michael Almanzar- Couldn't even make the Red Sox last year at 3rd base and they were awful at 3rd. That tells you all you need to know.

While it's very far from the whole story, David Lough was worth 2.7 rWAR/2.4 fWAR last season; Cruz was worth 2.0/1.5. There's an argument to be made that Lough is just a better player than Cruz right now, at least if they're both going to be playing LF.

While it's very far from the whole story, David Lough was worth 2.7 rWAR/2.4 fWAR last season; Cruz was worth 2.0/1.5. There's an argument to be made that Lough is just a better player than Cruz right now, at least if they're both going to be playing LF.

Lough War came from D not his bat. I'm ok with giving up a little D for a guy that can hit you 30HR.

Lough War came from D not his bat. I'm ok with giving up a little D for a guy that can hit you 30HR.

We already have a guy in our lineup that can hit MORE than 30 HR.

Maybe you've heard of him?

We already have a guy in our lineup that can hit MORE than 30 HR.

Maybe you've heard of him?

Jones Davis Cruz would be sick.

Jones Davis Cruz would be sick.

A Cruz line of .262/.310/.435 and bad defense and I'd be sick. Especially if we shelled out $15 million per.

A big pass.

A Cruz line of .272/.310/.435 and bad defense and I'd be sick. Especially if we shelled out $15 million per.

A big pass.

Cruz numbers will be better in this ban box stadium and having Davis in front of him.

Cruz numbers will be better in this ban box stadium and having Davis in front of him.

Ah, I see someone needs a refresher course on the subject of protection in the lineup.

Maybe in your mind, but there really isn't. WAR isn't a perfect gauge and Lough has a very small ML sample size. Players have ups and downs. You can't just project numbers and assume they'll produce the same as they have when you're looking at a tiny window of production. Cruz, on the other hand, is a proven commodity. If you want to argue that the PED issue puts his numbers, in question, that's fine, but don't give me a WAR comparison to a player who has less than 400 ML at bats.

Ah, I see someone needs a refresher course on the subject of protection in the lineup.

Teams will walk Davis and go right after Cruz.

Plus Davis in all likelihood won't repeat his 2013 season in 2014. If Nick and Matt don't get better this O wont look good.

Maybe in your mind, but there really isn't. WAR isn't a perfect gauge and Lough has a very small ML sample size. Players have ups and downs. You can't just project numbers and assume they'll produce the same as they have when you're looking at a tiny window of production. Cruz, on the other hand, is a proven commodity. If you want to argue that the PED issue puts his numbers, in question, that's fine, but don't give me a WAR comparison to a player who has less than 400 ML at bats.

You're right. Cruz has proven time and again the last 3 years that he's not a 2 WAR player. About 1.5 is what you can expect. Of course that is only if not taking PEDs doesn't have a negative effect on his offense.

No, what I want to argue is that it's a bad idea to give multi-year contracts to players over the age of 32. Let's see, Cruz will be, ah yes 33 next season. I'm sure he wants more than a one year deal. Yes, I'm certain of it.

No deal.