biggrthngibbons

Feldman to the Astros

No, we really don't. Remember what your mother asked you about your friends jumping off a cliff? :) We've got to believe that at least one of Bundy/Gausman/ERod will be ready within 2 years. Paying Feldman $10 million per for 3 years simply doesn't make sense. Much better to "settle" for a Saunders type as a placeholder at 1/ $4 or $5, IMO.

I agree 100 percent. Good for Feldman, but it would be financially irresponsible for the Orioles to match this deal. You're right, we have young talemt knocking at the door and there are better short term options IMO as well.

Would've liked to have Feldman back but not at that price as many of you have said. I still think Arroyo is the guy we end up with and if he gives us 200 innings like he normally does, I'd be fine with that.

Their TV deal is a big mess. Still have money though.

After losing an MLB-worst 107 games in 2012, the Astros are looking for a new beginning with their move to the American League this year. A turnaround on the field is unlikely this year with a rock bottom payroll of $25 million. The Astros will have the resources to compete thanks to its new television deal with Comcast SportsNet Houston, a regional television network in which the Astros hold a 46% stake. The team will receive an average of $80 million a year in rights fees over the next 20 years in a deal that starts in 2013. Last season new owner Jim Crane unveiled a number of fan-friendly changes, including cheaper beer prices and allowing fans to bring food and drinks into the stadium. Management has also been meeting with season ticket holders to see what changes they would like. In 2012, season-ticket holders received a 5% discount card they can use throughout the season. The discount didn't help as the Astros finished with the third-lowest average home attendance in baseball (19,848).

http://www.forbes.com/teams/houston-astros/

I agree 100 percent. Good for Feldman, but it would be financially irresponsible for the Orioles to match this deal. You're right, we have young talemt knocking at the door and there are better short term options IMO as well.

I agree with everyone that all of these moves are ridiculous and these teams are crazy for paying these types of contracts.

That said, to play devil's advocate, that's the price of poker my friends. If the Orioles are unwilling to ante up, they might as well stay out of the poker game. If Peter is gonna play the "these prices are out of control" card, then it really, truly, is time for his to sell the team, because that's the price of business in 2014.

No, we really don't. Remember what your mother asked you about your friends jumping off a cliff? :) We've got to believe that at least one of Bundy/Gausman/ERod will be ready within 2 years. Paying Feldman $10 million per for 3 years simply doesn't make sense. Much better to "settle" for a Saunders type as a placeholder at 1/ $4 or $5, IMO.

Just about every free agent signing I've seen this offseason seems like one that the team will regret, and soon.

After losing an MLB-worst 107 games in 2012, the Astros are looking for a new beginning with their move to the American League this year. A turnaround on the field is unlikely this year with a rock bottom payroll of $25 million. The Astros will have the resources to compete thanks to its new television deal with Comcast SportsNet Houston, a regional television network in which the Astros hold a 46% stake. The team will receive an average of $80 million a year in rights fees over the next 20 years in a deal that starts in 2013. Last season new owner Jim Crane unveiled a number of fan-friendly changes, including cheaper beer prices and allowing fans to bring food and drinks into the stadium. Management has also been meeting with season ticket holders to see what changes they would like. In 2012, season-ticket holders received a 5% discount card they can use throughout the season. The discount didn't help as the Astros finished with the third-lowest average home attendance in baseball (19,848).

http://www.forbes.com/teams/houston-astros/

It is like I said a big mess, current owner suing ex owner. The team is losing millions.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24270603/astros-owner-jim-crane-sues-former-owner-drayton-mclane

Well, as soon as Nate signs somewhere, we can cross everyone off our list and get back to signing guys we've never heard of.

Typical O's offseason, but this year we can't even bring our OWN guys back. :ohlord:

Last year, our own guys we didn't bring back were Mark Reynolds and Joe Saunders.

Someone wanted to give him the contract he was looking for. Good for him. I'm not sure I wanted him at that price but overall, it's not a terrible deal.

Tax free to boot.

I liked Scott Feldman. I thought he stabilized the back end of the rotation that had a gaping hole in it from the get go last season, and I would have liked to have kept him. However, you don't give $10 million a year to back of the rotation guys that you're going to be looking to transition out of the way for somebody else (hopefully) before his deal is up. The Astros had to make that deal, but keep in mind Feldman will be asked to pitch more as a number two or three guy and be overexposed. Even on the Orioles that wouldn't have happened.

So we can close the books on the Feldman trade

The O's got 2 months of a mediocre pitcher in a futile playoff run

The Cubs got their closer and #5 starter, and I have projected 35 saves for Strop and 15 wins for Arietta.

and the Astros pick up Feldman for a reasonable (in 2014) 3yrs/30 million.

I remember how everyone defended the rental assuming the O's would probably bring back Feldman.

Giving up two pitchers with multiple years of big league experience who were cost controlled, throw in the mid to high 90's, was way too much for a two month rental of a guy you apparently didn't even like very much.

DD has been fleeced in every deal he has made

He was even fleeced today signing a non-tendered pitcher to a deal 50% above his arb value.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone that all of these moves are ridiculous and these teams are crazy for paying these types of contracts.

That said, to play devil's advocate, that's the price of poker my friends. If the Orioles are unwilling to ante up, they might as well stay out of the poker game. If Peter is gonna play the "these prices are out of control" card, then it really, truly, is time for his to sell the team, because that's the price of business in 2014.

That's a great point, but I still do not give Feldman that deal, he's just not that good.

This year so far it's only Scott Feldman. At least officially.

Reynolds shouldn't have been brought back either. I think hindsight based on his stats last year, proved that.