Tony-OH

Thoughts on the Roller Coaster win against the Vikings

Wow! Is there anything else you can say about that 4th quater and in particualr, the last two minutes and five seconds of the game? I've never seen anything like it and I'm thankful as hell we ended up comig out on top. Also, I'm ot sure I've ever seen a Ravens football game with that much snow in the field and coming down in the first half. Crazy, crazy game!

Good:

- Joe Flacco may have had some shaky drives, and two of his interceptions were just bad throws on his part, but when you march your team down the field 80 yards with 40 seconds left and two time outs with three amzingly accurate perfect throws, you get a good if not great from me. Really a classic Joe game where he looks bad at times (sure the weather affected things), but at any moment he can get hot and just take the team down the field.

- What can you say about Marlon Brown today? He was all over the place and his TD catch with the feet drag was a pro bowl play. this looked like a comning out party for the young man who had shown flashes, but who has really been inconsistent for production this year.

- Let's give some credit to Ray Rice, though not an impact RB anymore, he had some tough runs and was a bigger factor in the pass game today. Heck, he even made a guy miss.

- I've been critical of Sam Koch at times this year, but he came to play today with some big punts.

- Dennis freakin' Pitta! Welcome back my friend. It was not surprising to see the Ravens open it up a bit with Pitta getting back into things. I really think his presence opened up some things for Brown. He diving catch was a thing of beauty and even thouh the offense didn't come alinve until the 4th quarter, I really think it will move now that he's back.

- Jacoby Jones! Just an amazing weapon on kick returns.

Mediocre:

- It was a tough game to coach in those conditions, but Harbaugh not taking the FG and going for it from the 21-yard line on 4th and one down by five points with over ten mins left was a dumb, dumb decision. The defensive call that allowed the running back to run for the TD was a terrible, terrible defensive call. It was like they thought they had ten second left and needed to get 50 yards. Despite this, we won the game so I can't give the coaching a bad rating, especially since the special teams and offensce came up big late.

Bad:

- Tough day to get footing of course but Lardarius Webb seemed to have a tough day.

- It was the first time Marlon Brown ever seen snow, but Torrey Smith played like it. The last few weeks he's been missing some key throws and needs to get his groove back.

- i'm going to give Matt Elam a pass since it's his rookie year and we've seen how much better Jimmy Smith is in year three, but lord almighty I'm trying to find one part of his game that looks good. Coverage skills: Below average, tackling: below average, ball hawking: below average.

- Again, field conditions were terrible, but I'm going to put out an APB for Suggs if I go another game without hearing his named called.

Suggs has been trying way too hard to get sacks and he has failed miserably at setting the edge. He was way up field on the Gerhard TD.

I think a big reason behind the 4th quarter flurry was that both defenses were gassed. They had fought so hard to maintain footing for first 45-50 minutes and it looked like neither team had any legs by the end.

Watching the game live was really cool because we've never had a snow game but truth be told, on the re-watch, there was just a lot of bad football today. The conditions were just so brutal that it was tough to execute anything.

My big takeaways are Pitta's return, Rice looking like he had a clue and Flacco can drive you nuts but that dude is tough as nails and can certainly deliver in the clutch.

Joe made some of the worst decisions/throws in his career today but still came up huge when he needed to most. Additionally, he had one of his best scrambles early in the game. He just showed again why he is one of the best QBs in clutch moments in the league right now.

I've been on the Marlon Brown train for awhile but that was one of his best catches as a Ravens. He seems like a faster Colston. While he didn't necessarily flash it today because of the weather, his most underrated attribute might be his after the catch ability.

Jimmy Smith got beat on that TD but he made a very good play on the ball earlier in the game on a streak down the sideline. Even though he has been playing well he rarely plays the ball. So it was nice to see him turn, locate and attack the ball.

Wow! Is there anything else you can say about that 4th quater and in particualr, the last two minutes and five seconds of the game? I've never seen anything like it and I'm thankful as hell we ended up comig out on top. Also, I'm ot sure I've ever seen a Ravens football game with that much snow in the field and coming down in the first half. Crazy, crazy game!

Good:

- Joe Flacco may have had some shaky drives, and two of his interceptions were just bad throws on his part, but when you march your team down the field 80 yards with 40 seconds left and two time outs with three amzingly accurate perfect throws, you get a good if not great from me. Really a classic Joe game where he looks bad at times (sure the weather affected things), but at any moment he can get hot and just take the team down the field.

- What can you say about Marlon Brown today? He was all over the place and his TD catch with the feet drag was a pro bowl play. this looked like a comning out party for the young man who had shown flashes, but who has really been inconsistent for production this year.

- Let's give some credit to Ray Rice, though not an impact RB anymore, he had some tough runs and was a bigger factor in the pass game today. Heck, he even made a guy miss.

- I've been critical of Sam Koch at times this year, but he came to play today with some big punts.

- Dennis freakin' Pitta! Welcome back my friend. It was not surprising to see the Ravens open it up a bit with Pitta getting back into things. I really think his presence opened up some things for Brown. He diving catch was a thing of beauty and even thouh the offense didn't come alinve until the 4th quarter, I really think it will move now that he's back.

- Jacoby Jones! Just an amazing weapon on kick returns.

Mediocre:

- It was a tough game to coach in those conditions, but Harbaugh not taking the FG and going for it from the 21-yard line on 4th and one down by five points with over ten mins left was a dumb, dumb decision. The defensive call that allowed the running back to run for the TD was a terrible, terrible defensive call. It was like they thought they had ten second left and needed to get 50 yards. Despite this, we won the game so I can't give the coaching a bad rating, especially since the special teams and offensce came up big late.

Bad:

- Tough day to get footing of course but Lardarius Webb seemed to have a tough day.

- It was the first time Marlon Brown ever seen snow, but Torrey Smith played like it. The last few weeks he's been missing some key throws and needs to get his groove back.

- i'm going to give Matt Elam a pass since it's his rookie year and we've seen how much better Jimmy Smith is in year three, but lord almighty I'm trying to find one part of his game that looks good. Coverage skills: Below average, tackling: below average, ball hawking: below average.

- Again, field conditions were terrible, but I'm going to put out an APB for Suggs if I go another game without hearing his named called.

Elam seems like a pretty good player. I will admit he blew that tackle at the end but the field conditions were pretty bad. Suggs had a good game. He tackled the Quarterback but he got just across the line of scrimmage and had good tackles early.

Joe made some of the worst decisions/throws in his career today but still came up huge when he needed to most. Additionally, he had one of his best scrambles early in the game. He just showed again why he is one of the best QBs in clutch moments in the league right now.

I've been on the Marlon Brown train for awhile but that was one of his best catches as a Ravens. He seems like a faster Colston. While he didn't necessarily flash it today because of the weather, his most underrated attribute might be his after the catch ability.

Jimmy Smith got beat on that TD but he made a very good play on the ball earlier in the game on a streak down the sideline. Even though he has been playing well he rarely plays the ball. So it was nice to see him turn, locate and attack the ball.

I think Ihedigbo wasn't deep enough to cover the back part of the end zone on that TD. It appeared as though Smith allowed him to go inside thinking he had help. Neither of our safeties are very good in pass defense.

Elam seems like a pretty good player. I will admit he blew that tackle at the end but the field conditions were pretty bad. Suggs had a good game. He tackled the Quarterback but he got just across the line of scrimmage and had good tackles early.

Really? What have you seen from the guy this year that suggests that. Other than his draft status, I don't see anything to get excited about really. He's not terribly fast, doesn't seem to have a nose for the ball, is an inconsistent tackler, and not a big hitter. Field conditions had nothing to do with him throwing himself at the legs of the running back instead of trying to wrap up. I'm not giving up on Elam because I've seen how far Jimmy Smith has come, but we can throw away that "little Ed" talk. Ed was good right from the start.

My first snow game as a Ravens PSL holder (holder since 2006). I think this is the first in-game snow game in the history of the franchise. If not it at least has to be the hardest its ever snowed at a Ravens game.

Gotta love Marlon Brown. Now that Pitta is back I think we can really do some fun stuff on offense. Glad to see Dickson catch a TD with Dallas Clark inactive. I thought the Ravens would opt to go with Pitta & Clark since Dickson is always due for some epic drops.

One of the best gameday experiences ever.

I'm not giving up on Elam because I've seen how far Jimmy Smith has come, but we can throw away that "little Ed" talk. Ed was good right from the start.

I thought Elam was more of a Polamalu type than a Reed type? I was expecting a run stopper more than a ball hawk. Ihedigbo is the run stopper on this defense while Elam has been filling Huff's old role as the center fielder for what I see. Perhaps he's playing slightly out of position. That combined with being a rookie could be leading to some of his struggles. With that said I've been disappointed by his tackling at times this year. I think he needs to wrap up more. I feel like most of his missed tackles have been a result of leading with his shoulder. FWIW he gets a pass on the Patterson TD at the end. I doubt anyone makes that play in the open field in those conditions.

Elam is definitely playing out of position right now. He's a SS not a FS. This is why they brought Huff in to help with the transition. The team fell in love with Ihedbigo early and that made it hard.

Ihegdibo has been playing super well this season (his pass coverage has been solid).

Elam still looks as if he's still thinking instead of reacting, and it's affecting his playmaking abilities. Give him time, he's just a rookie.

I personally give the secondary a pass with the snow. It's impossible to cover/open field tackle with those conditions.

Pees' playcalling at the end was very questionable though

I thought Elam was more of a Polamalu type than a Reed type? I was expecting a run stopper more than a ball hawk. Ihedigbo is the run stopper on this defense while Elam has been filling Huff's old role as the center fielder for what I see. Perhaps he's playing slightly out of position. That combined with being a rookie could be leading to some of his struggles. With that said I've been disappointed by his tackling at times this year. I think he needs to wrap up more. I feel like most of his missed tackles have been a result of leading with his shoulder. FWIW he gets a pass on the Patterson TD at the end. I doubt anyone makes that play in the open field in those conditions.

Yeah, definitely not blaming him on that one. My biggest issue with the guy is his overall tackling. I don't see the presence I thought we would see during his opportunities and although he's out of position and FS, instead of SS, I'm still not seeing much of an impact guy. Hopefully, it's just that rookie season blues and he'll bounce back next year.

Ihegdibo has been playing super well this season (his pass coverage has been solid).

Elam still looks as if he's still thinking instead of reacting, and it's affecting his playmaking abilities. Give him time, he's just a rookie.

I personally give the secondary a pass with the snow. It's impossible to cover/open field tackle with those conditions.

Pees' playcalling at the end was very questionable though

No doubt. He looked like he was playing quarters defense when the Vikings still had TOs and time on the clock as well as the fact all they needed was a FG to tie the game. The crazy ending really let him and Harbaugh (who should have taken the FG instead of going for it with 10 mins left in the 4th) off the hook with poor coaching decisions.