Sign in to follow this  
Barnaby Graves

Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

David Lough is a very nice player, solid defensively, runs well, 27 years old and under team control for a while. I actually like this deal, I give DD credit for this one. And it is pretty obvious that they want to carry Almanzar on the 25 man this year, which I also think is good since we need to use any way we can to build system strength. I am starting to see a plan from the Oriole front office, and I am in support of it.

By all means, please share. While I don't at all mind this particular trade, it tells me very little about any kind of greater plan.

Agreed, Valencia has shown in a large enough sample size that he is an asset hitting against left handed pitching. We already have a 4th outfielder type that can play great defense in Francisco Peguero.

Seems like you've lumped Lough and Peguero into the same below-average hitting bucket, which is a false generalization.

A below-average hitter that plays great defense is much more valuable than an atrocious hitter that plays great defense. It's an important distinction.

Sure looks like it. And he can be a RH bat too.

Cruz?

What RH bats are left that you would like to see?

Don't like Cruz but I bet he is the guy...ex-Ranger....

He's your 2014 McLouth

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lough replaces McLouth as LH OF. A plus-defender in LF and RF. "He's got a chance to be an everyday ballplayer for us." - Duquette</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He is a better defender than McClouth, and he can play all 3 OF positions. This is a good deal for us. I live here in Royals country, and I have watched him a lot. He is just a really solid all around player. We will not miss McClouth now.

Love this move. Needed a LH and needed an OF. I don't know why he didn't get more of a shot sooner, but he has done decently in the show with room for growth. Plus we've got him under control for along time. Really nice addition.

By all means, please share. While I don't at all mind this particular trade, it tells me very little about any kind of greater plan.

Lough takes the open corner OF spot and legitimately backs up Jones (something they didn't have on the roster). Next year Markakis gets bought out, opening another spot up for Peguero who appears to be up-and-coming. With the money saved at corner OF they take the Markakis money and extend Chris Davis.

DH can now go to whoever - RH, LH, switch hitter, infielder or outfielder.

He is a better defender than McClouth, and he can play all 3 OF positions. This is a good deal for us. I live here in Royals country, and I have watched him a lot. He is just a really solid all around player. We will not miss McClouth now.

McLough?

I like Lough a lot as a 4th outfielder if that's what we're bringing him in as. Looks like DD thinks he can be our everyday LF and Almanzar can provide what Valencia did last year however. Gotta hold off judgement until we see what both of them can do.

Solid deal. It makes it MUCH more likely that the O's can get 3 WAR out of LF next year. Valencia wasn't going to come close to that as a RH DH.

Now go get Burnett and Ibanez and they have a shot.