BamaOsFan

Post up your Memorial Stadium experiences.

I have many memories, as my Dad worked in Baltimore and we got tickets from his boss/owner of the company. My greatest memory tho is in '77 when I talked to Brooks on the dugout steps. He talked to us kids just like we were in the neighborhood. He gave his autograph on my program. That day I also got Eddie's autograph on the same program, same page. Still have it.

Attended Ben McDonald's first ML start in 1990. CG shutout vs. White Sox. Also remember a game when Randy Milligan hit 3 HR's in a blow out over the Yankees.

• Upvote 1

Attended Ben McDonald's first ML start in 1990. CG shutout vs. White Sox. Also remember a game when Randy Milligan hit 3 HR's in a blow out over the Yankees.

Welcome.

Have a greenie.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

My favorite O's memory was Fred Lynn coming up in the 9th, and we were losing. I told all of my buddies that he was going to hit a walk off, and they all gave me crap. A few seconds later, the ball went zinging past our heads, and we won.

My favorite memory of Memorial Stadium was a Sunday May 6, 1973, game my Dad took me to see. We had picked the game because Frank Robinson was my favorite player and he was returning to Baltimore as DH for the California Angels. As it turned out, the pitching match up was two future HOFers - Jim Palmer versus Nolan Ryan. Frank Robinson hit a double and the O's won the game game 5-0, so it was good all around. After the game I stood outside Memorial Stadium hoping for an autograph. Paul Blair was kind enough to sign my program (which I still have). After he signed it, I was so excited, and not wanting the moment to end, that a minute or so later I handed the program back to Paul Blair, which he commenced signing again until he realized he already had autographed my program, thus leaving half a signature – a second “Paul” - on the front cover.

My favorite O's memory was Fred Lynn coming up in the 9th, and we were losing. I told all of my buddies that he was going to hit a walk off, and they all gave me crap. A few seconds later, the ball went zinging past our heads, and we won.

Didn't he hit walkoff homers for the O's on two consecutive nights?

Didn't he hit walkoff homers for the O's on two consecutive nights?

I think so. It may have even been 3, but I can't recall.

I think so. It may have even been 3, but I can't recall.

May of 1985. First game was tied, the second game the O's were down by a run. [video=dailymotion;xcgwc7]

for some Memorial Stadium flashbacks (including Jon Miller).
  • Upvote 1

May of 1985. First game was tied, the second game the O's were down by a run. [video=dailymotion;xcgwc7]

That's great. Thanks!

Wow, I remember those! But I was watching replays over AFKN (Armed Forces Korea Network) in Seoul and it really made me miss being in Baltimore. The people around me were amazed at how excited I got. (Just to clarify, I wasn't a soldier: AFKN was one of the channels viewable to anyone there.)

My first pro game was a double header in 1975 with my Dad (no older brother, no Mom). Do you remember that first time you walk up through the tunnel to your seat and that vast stretch of green hits your eye? Fantastic moment. Reggie played both games and Brooks laid down a bunt hit in the second game. I think this was the game where the Bee hit a foul into the stands at BP right next to us, but I didn't know I could just go run and get it. It was there for 10 seconds before someone else came and got it. We had a drunk guy sitting behind us who wouldn't stop talking to us.

There for the Tippy 3 pickoff game.

Bob Milacki rolled a ball across the dugout to me in '89.

Plenty of games where I would go by myself and sit in the bleachers for something like 5 bucks and eat the best food in the world.

I only got to go to one game a season as a kid, and that was through my mom's work.

The last baseball game I remember going to there was against the Twins (I think) during Bat Day, where they gave everyone full size wooden bats.

I wish I hadn't ruined that bat. I can't even imagine 20,000 people walking around the Inner Harbor these days with full-size wooden bats.

I was too young to remember the traffic but it's hard to imagine a better place for a ballpark than where Camden Yards now is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first game was in 1981 when the Orioles played the A's. John Lowenstein and Terry Crowley hit back to back home runs and Al Bumbry robbed someone (I believe Dwayne Murphy) of a home run. The next year I saw Jim Palmer pitch a one hit shutout against the Twins. I saw a game in 1985 against the White Sox when Fred Lynn hit a three run homer to win the game.

ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE!

The orange tractor that smoothed the infield before the game and the guys who used to pull the metal grates in the middle of the game.

Cal Sr. giving the windmill at 3rd base to send runners home

309 down each line.

General Admission

"Popping" Paper Cups

The amazing Mezzanine section. It was like a cave in there.

The music, for better and for worse:

America - You Can Do Magic

Chicago - Saturday in the Park

Yesterday (they alternated -- sometimes the Beatles and Stevie Wonder) while showing highlights from around the league on the "DiamondVision" scoreboard

Steeley Dan - Do it Again

So many specific games:

Boddicker's 1983 playoff game. I feel like he struck out all 27 guys. Dempsey was going crazy.

The night in 1988 when after the O's started 0-21, the place was filled and we finally won.

Any game in 1989 when Greg Olsen entered to "Wild Thing"

Devo's walk off in '89

• Upvote 1

My dad was a city po-lice. Used to take me to the games he worked and I would just sit wherever there was room, including Game 1 in 1983. I had never seen the place so packed.

At around age 12 or so I just started riding my bike down there and walking in. Never got hassled at all.

A buddy's dad who wrote for UPI would take Rusty and I and we would sit in the empty NFL press box. That was pretty cool. The concessions were always stocked in there for some reason.

Friends of the family had season tickets for the four seats just inside the right field foul pole for a few years. To this day it's my favorite place to sit in an MLB stadium.

Saw the Real Colts play there, but I was too young to remember anything but the cold.

Went to several Turkey Bowls and always loved the big open stadium with only a few thousand people in it.