Crazysilver03

Minor League Offseason

Tremendous work here. Renshaw kind of slipped under the radar. I wonder if he has a shot at the Frederick rotation.

I think Renshaw will certainly be in the battle for the rotation at Frederick. There are a ton of arms for that Frederick rotation and that's before the Seattle trade.

That's the second O's signing of a Cuban defector in two years (Danys Baez). I wonder what the "concept" (as Thrift called it perhaps because a "policy" would be illegal) is these days. I believe they've still never signed a defector to his first contract.

Castillo was one of the stars of the Mexican Pacific Winter League this year.

Here's his Baseball Cube page

Finch was hurt last year. I don't think we released him but he will need to earn a spot somewhere. I thought we had resigned Salazar but can't remember for sure. Perez and Mitchell I thought we had kept but I could be wrong. Not sure where the minor league Rule 5 draft guys will go on Tony's depth chart. They probably need to be kept at a certain level or they go back to the original team. With the returns from the trades and what is listed on the depth chart and new signings/injury recoveries this spring the battle for pitching slots will be intense. I would think we may let a few familiar names go if they don't perform in spring training.

Finch, Perez and Mitchell were all 6 year minor league free agents. They weren't released but our not Orioles property unless we resign them. I don't think we did.

Minor league Rule 5 guys do not have to be kept on certain rosters. They can be assigned anywhere in the organization.

Baltimore Orioles re-sign Andy Mitchell.

Cincinnati Reds sign C Paul Bako.

Cincinnati Reds sign 3B Bryan Bass.

Colorado Rockies sign Victor Zambrano.

Houston Astros sign C Alberto Castillo.

Baltimore Orioles re-sign Andy Mitchell.

Andy Mitchell helped the Aguilas club win the Dominican League championship this winter.

In 21 relief appearances (including the playoffs), he was 1-1, with 1 save and a 2.65 ERA.

17 ip

12 h

8 bb

12 k

Steve Green apparently signed with the Phillies.

Alex Cintron was released by the Cubs during Spring Training and signed with the Orioles.

The Orioles acquired Mike McCoy from the Cardinals and Mike Garciaparra from the Phillies for future considerations.