xian4

162 game suspension for A-Rod

... I disagree. It's unethical to buy something that "may" be stolen.

It would be even more "unethical" to stand by and allow the evidence to be destroyed.

... especially if an a state official asks you not to buy them.

(1) Supposedly, the "state official" was a member of the Florida board that regulates medical facilities, not a law enforcement official.

(2) Purchase of the documents did not "impede" any Florida investigations. On the contrary, it preserved them so that they would be available for any criminal investigations.

... I have to [disagree] that anyone involved in this case ( MLB, Bosch, or Rodriguez) fits the description of the bolded ["highly ethical"].

In the real world, few ethical issues are completely black and white. In this case, the greater good is furthered by protecting those documents from destruction.

Development of the case against A-Rod ensured that he had to face at least a degree of justice. More fair, perhaps, would have been forfeiture of all his pay and endorsements for the period in which he was using performance enhancing substances, but perfect justice rarely results.

A lot of the angst over A-Rod's punishment is based upon the fact that it provided a significant degree of payroll relief for the Yankees. So what? I dislike the Yankees intensely myself, but that doesn't mean I want to disregard justice for A-Rod just to inflict pain on the Yankees.

It would be even more "unethical" to stand by and allow the evidence to be destroyed.

(1) Supposedly, the "state official" was a member of the Florida board that regulates medical facilities, not a law enforcement official.

(2) Purchase of the documents did not "impede" any Florida investigations. On the contrary, it preserved them so that they would be available for any criminal investigations.

In the real world, few ethical issues are completely black and white. In this case, the greater good is furthered by protecting those documents from destruction.

Development of the case against A-Rod ensured that he had to face at least a degree of justice. More fair, perhaps, would have been forfeiture of all his pay and endorsements for the period in which he was using performance enhancing substances, but perfect justice rarely results.

A lot of the angst over A-Rod's punishment is based upon the fact that it provided a significant degree of payroll relief for the Yankees. So what? I dislike the Yankees intensely myself, but that doesn't mean I want to disregard justice for A-Rod just to inflict pain on the Yankees.

How does anyone know that the evidence was going to be destroyed? If " Danny" threatened to do this, MLB gave in to his blackmail. To say MLB acted in an ethical manner buy procuring these documents so that they would not be destroyed is a poor rationalization IMO.

1) He's still a state official. He may be a bureaucrat, but he was trying to do his job. MLB was out of bounds.

2) We'll see if this in fact happens. I think that MLB will use the purchase to protect their pet witness Bosch. This is the intent of their "ethical" actions.

I disagree. You can't tell me that the "greater good" was at the heart of MLB's purchase of these documents. Yes, they wanted to preserve them for their case against ARod. However, if they would have been "destroyed" they would have only had to work harder to prove their case against ARod. I thinkk that their actions were unethical and lazy. Further, as I stated earlier, one of their other motivations to procure these documents was to protect Bosch. Hard for me to see where anyone is acting ethically for the "greater good."

A more fair punishment would have been if MLB had not intially issued the 211 suspension in the first place. This is the trigger for all of this. MLB pretty much wants to end ARod's career on their terms. Unfortunately for them, Rodriguez had the abilty to appeal the ruling. Based on what I've read, ARod should have been given a 50 game suspension last summer.MLB decided to flex their muscles, and now they are left with this mess.

I have said nothing about the payroll relief that this case provides to the Yankess. On the contrary, while I dislike ARod, I don't see where MLB is acting to mete justice in this case. My issue with MLB in this case is theri unethical actions and abuse of power, not that they may have provided payroll relief to the Yankees.

Edited by russ snyder

post-30526-Hot-Fuzz-greater-good-gif-Simo-fRNY.gif

Edit: I really wish this had the SHUT IT! at the end.

Edited by The Wedge

Players Wanted Alex Rodriguez Out of Union

(ASSOCIATED PRESS)

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10329442/players-wanted-alex-rodriguez-kicked-union

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Passan's story of players irate that A-Rod sued MLBPA: Did union explain to players that law required A-Rod to sue union to perfect appeal?</p>— Wendy Thurm (@hangingsliders) <a href="

">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am guessing they didn't.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Passan's story of players irate that A-Rod sued MLBPA: Did union explain to players that law required A-Rod to sue union to perfect appeal?</p>— Wendy Thurm (@hangingsliders) <a href="
">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am guessing they didn't.

Or if they did, they didn't care and wish he'd just drop it.

Even though the players can't kick him out of the union, they got their point across and made sure their feelings about him are perfectly clear. He's finished.

Even though the players can't kick him out of the union, they got their point across and made sure their feelings about him are perfectly clear. He's finished.

I don't see him leaving 60 million+ on the table.

Probably not, but he's probably going to be miserable while trying to collect it. He'll probably set the new beaning record if enough pitchers hate him for it.

Probably not, but he's probably going to be miserable while trying to collect it. He'll probably set the new beaning record if enough pitchers hate him for it.

And he'll expose more the MLB's hypocrisy if the pitchers aren't punished for it.

Amazing that the players are willing to hand the commissioner more power when they worked so hard to have such a strong union.

He won't get hit.

Pitchers mostly just talk a big game.

He starts getting beaned the Umps start throwing guys out.

And he'll expose more the MLB's hypocrisy if the pitchers aren't punished for it.

Amazing that the players are willing to hand the commissioner more power when they worked so hard to have such a strong union.

Well, a player suing the union isn't really a positive for a strong union, ya know?

He won't get hit.

Pitchers mostly just talk a big game.

He starts getting beaned the Umps start throwing guys out.

I was being mostly hyperbolic. Players will find many ways to make him miserable, I'm sure. Unless he has Jackie Robinson-esque patience, why doesn't seem too likely, anyway.

(Not equating his exact situation to Robinsons, equating that when players and fans are against you in numbers it can get really rough)

Neither do I. There is no incentive for him to accept anything less than what he is owed. So I doubt he'll try to bargain for a buyout. I think the NYY will give him his release, pay him what he is owed, let him walk and tell him good riddance. The recently reported feelings of his fellow union brethren make it pretty clear that he is not going to be welcomed with open arms in a MLB clubhouse.