Plutarch

Deadspin: 36 Cheap American Beers, Ranked

What didn't make the list was a brand my friends drank when we were in college....they loved it, I thought it was more vile than cheese gone bad: Piels Real Draft

I grew up in NYC area and we had (Mabel) Black Label (Carling) for $.75 a six pack, Piels, Schaefer (Brooklyn Dodger sponsor), Ballantine (Yanks) and Knickerbocker (Giants) beers. Piel's was decent. PBR was pretty good to my early taste buds. 18 was the drinking age for beer but I believe 21 was hard liquor. Even Iron City was drinkable but not at 3.2.

Edited by bobmc
$.75

I grew up in NYC area and we had (Mabel) Black Label (Carling) for .$75 a six pack, Piels, Schaefer (Brooklyn Dodger sponsor), Ballantine (Yanks) and Knickerbocker (Giants) beers. Piel's was decent. PBR was pretty good to my early taste buds. 18 was the drinking age for beer but I believe 21 was hard liquor. Even Iron City was drinkable but not at 3.2.

Wasn't 75 cents a lot of money when you were growing up?

Wasn't 75 cents a lot of money when you were growing up?

Yeah minimum wage was $1.25/hr - made $50/week starting out.

Any of you guys remember National's Colt .45 Malt Liquor? That was hot stuff back in the sixties!

From link above on Wiki:

"Fun Fact", Colt 45 was named after running back #45 Jerry Hill of the 1963 Baltimore Colts and not the pistol or the revolver.

Edited by bobmc

I can still hear Chuck Thompson's dulcet rendering of "the land of pleasant living" when hawking National Beer (not Natty Bohemian).

I bought a lot of Schaeffer while I was in college college. It had a good taste, but wreaked havoc on my digestive system the next day.

Also, does anyone here remember drinking Weidemann's during the 80's. It was terrible IMO, but it was cheap.

When I was in college (early 1970s), we drank Burgermeister because it was 89 cents a six-pack and paired nicely with Ragu spaghetti sauce and pasta (also inexpensive). We took some to a friend, who said a couple days later, "Man, that was terrible beer! I could barely finish the whole six-pack!"

When you come to New Mexico, I'll take you to the Second Street Brewery in Santa Fe and treat you to a green chile cheeseburger and the brew of your choice.

Love,

DurbBeer

I bought a lot of Schaeffer while I was in college college. It had a good taste, but wreaked havoc on my digestive system the next day.

Probably laced with some of those gummy bears we were discussing in another thread :)

Yeah minimum wage was $1.25/hr - made $50/week starting out.

Any of you guys remember National's Colt .45 Malt Liquor? That was hot stuff back in the sixties!

From link above on Wiki:

"Fun Fact", Colt 45 was named after running back #45 Jerry Hill of the 1963 Baltimore Colts and not the pistol or the revolver.

Never tried it but I remember the commercials.