xian4

Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

I'm hoping the Orioles just say "no" to Santana and Jimenez. The price in money and years is still too high and the pick is too important to lose. Use the money to lock up Davis and Wieters.

I don't think they lock up either, so I say get Santana and Morales in here.

FWIW:

I tweeted Santana's agent, Jay Alou, and asked him if there was a chance of Ervin pitching for the Orioles. Here was his reply:

(https://twitter.com/JAloujr/status/433957572597800961)

Santana's agent (or one of them anyway) is Bean Stringfellow.

Some interesting comments in there about Santana, and they seem more than willing to wait out teams.

Some interesting comments in there about Santana, and they seem more than willing to wait out teams.

He actually has multiple agents. Alou and Stringfellow are part of the same agency.

Same old cheap Orioles-the price has already fallen signficantly but we are still waiting for cheaper..amazing...that has worked so well for you all offseason, just stick with it I guess.

What was Garza's ERA+ in the AL? 5.00+

Note the huge difference between AL and NL pitchers in ERA+. I'm not sold that any of these five would improve the orioles staff substantially.

ERA + for the 2013 season.

127 Ervin Santana

114 Ubaldo Jiminez

107 A.J. Burnett

106 Matt Garza

101 Bronson Arroyo

Note: garza allowed 51 ERs in 84.1 IPs for an ERA of 5.65

Edited by gpolee

"the price has already fallen significantly!?" $60 MM for either of those two is effing outrageous.

Same old cheap Orioles-the price has already fallen signficantly but we are still waiting for cheaper..amazing...that has worked so well for you all offseason, just stick with it I guess.

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Os84 View Post

FWIW:

I tweeted Santana's agent, Jay Alou, and asked him if there was a chance of Ervin pitching for the Orioles. Here was his reply:

(https://twitter.com/JAloujr/status/433957572597800961)

Edited by gpolee

I don't think they lock up either (Chris Davis, Wieters), so I say get Santana and Morales in here.

Betcha a hundred pennies the Orioles lock up Chris Davis long-term. I'm not convinced they should lock up Wieters or Hardy - despite how valuable both have been the past two years.

Apparently the other 29 teams are still waiting as well.

If Santana, or Jimenez were signed to minor league contracts would the O's still lose the pick? You could write a contract so that the player gets his money, and the O's get the player they want and still keep the pick.

This was one of the best things I got out of that article.: "Leaks advancing selfish agendas often emanate from certain management types, agents, players, associates of players and others with access to the media." Teams with an interest in these guys would like another SP, but none of them are desperate, except maybe the O's, and they don't seem to know they are. The MFY were desperate and that's why they paid an arm and a leg for Tanaka. If a team has a major injury then they would be desperate. These guys aren't getting the 4/52M they think they're getting. 3/27M sounds about right to me.

Same old cheap Orioles-the price has already fallen significantly, but we are still waiting for cheaper... amazing ... that has worked so well for you all offseason. Just stick with it, I guess.
Apparently, the other 29 teams are still waiting, as well.

It's collusion, circa 1985-1988.

If Santana, or Jimenez were signed to minor league contracts would the O's still lose the pick? You could write a contract so that the player gets his money, and the O's get the player they want and still keep the pick.

I think even if that worked it would only benefit in the st. I'm guessing every other team would refuse to ever deal with the os again were they to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was Garza's ERA+ in the AL? 5.00+

Note the huge difference between AL and NL pitchers in ERA+. I'm not sold that any of these five would improve the orioles staff substantially.\

Originally Posted by RZNJ viewpost-right.png ERA + for the 2013 season.

127 Ervin Santana

114 Ubaldo Jiminez

107 A.J. Burnett

106 Matt Garza

101 Bronson Arroyo

Note: garza allowed 51 ERs in 84.1 IPs for an ERA of 5.65

You understand how ERA+ works right? For instance, Bud Norris was below average last year with an ERA+98 combined and considerably lower for us (88).

Jimenez and especially Santana would be substantial improvements over that.

This was one of the best things I got out of that article.: "Leaks advancing selfish agendas often emanate from certain management types, agents, players, associates of players and others with access to the media." Teams with an interest in these guys would like another SP, but none of them are desperate, except maybe the O's, and they don't seem to know they are. The MFY were desperate and that's why they paid an arm and a leg for Tanaka. If a team has a major injury then they would be desperate. These guys aren't getting the 4/52M they think they're getting. 3/27M sounds about right to me.

"Leaks advancing selfish agendas often emanate from certain management types, agents, players, associates of players and others with access to the media."

It's why the Hot Stove is lame and all the wanna be's are just that.

Commit this to memory: if you can't beat the other hands, don't join them, fold. The way to win money consistently is to find games with players who play worse than you do.
If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker