xian4

Price tag for Santana & Jimenez has come down to 14.1 -14.6 $mill per season for 3/4 year deals

2011 C.J. Cron, 1B, Utah, Los Angeles Angels

2003 David Murphy, CF, Baylor U (TX), Boston Red Sox

2002 Cole Hamels, P, Rancho Bernardo HS (CA), Philadelphia Phillies

1998 Brad Lidge, P, University of Notre Dame, Houston Astros

1995 Roy Halladay, P, West HS (Arvada,CO), Toronto Blue Jays

1990 Jeromy Burnitz, OF, Oklahoma State University, New York Mets

1989 Cal Eldred, P, University of Iowa, Milwaukee Brewers

1988 Charles Nagy, P, University of Connecticut, Cleveland Indians

Do you have any idea what value is above? Any?

As well as those who have been picked after 17.

You need to rethink a bit of this. I am not saying it is off the table, but wow. It's a lot to give up.

Orioles can do no wrong in your eyes.

And rightfully so. Way too much money for either of them.

LOL I know it's so much better using 14 starting pitchers every year.

Orioles can do no wrong in your eyes.

None of them are Orioles. I am not talking about the Orioles. I am talking about your post.

Well, that's ironic, they can do no right in yours.

Well, I guess it is all good for a healthy balance.

balance.jpg

I make no secret that I am an actual fan of the Orioles. The product now, the Historical product. The Orioles. But this off season and last has me scratching my head. I want to sign a pitcher. Extend Hardy and Davis. And watch my team win more times than they lose.

Edited by weams

LOL I know it's so much better using 14 starting pitchers every year.

You're right. Let the O's give 14+ mil. a yr. to 2 guys that had good years in their walk years and totally disregard what they did the previous 3-4 years. But then we wouldn't have to see you start 14 threads a week about how the O's didn't spend this off season and what a pathetic organization they are. So there is some upside. And one more thing so you understand, I'm not saying don't sign these guys, just don't do it at 14M a year.

Edited by Dannyboy

There are apparently concerns about Ervin's elbow and Jimenez averages around 5 2/3 innings per start, and both were terrible as recently as 2012. I don't want to burn a pick for either.

Yep, but what else are you going to do? Santana is better than doing nothing iMO.

It doesn't really matter because the Orioles have lost the confidence of everyone-players, fans, media, etc. I don't think they can get a big name anything even if they really wanted to and it is apparent they don't want to.

The Blue Jays would also not have to give up their 1st round pick as they are picking 9th, if I'm correct.

No, that pick is protected, as is the Jays' 11th pick in the first round.

As Ken Rosenthal explains:

The principal holdup in the Santana talks has been the reluctance of teams to lose a high draft pick -- and accompanying pool money -- as compensation for signing him.

The Blue Jays, however, hold two "protected" picks, Nos. 9 and 11. (The No. 11 pick is protected because the Jays did not sign their first-round choice last year.) The first pick that the Jays could lose is their second rounder, No. 49 overall.

The Orioles, on the other hand, would lose the No. 17 pick for signing Santana or another "qualifying" free agent such as right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez or outfielder Nelson Cruz.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/santana-prepares-to-go-to-spring-training-somewhere-sometime-020914