Mad Mark

Read this and weep for our country

In the Heath Ledger thread (link), a certain "religious" group was mentioned.

In the maelstrom of unnecessary information we're bombarded with every day, stuff like this gets processed, then pushed out the other ear by the latest batch of inane drivel.

Read this (link), and weep for our country. Then be thankful that this group seems to have topped out at 100 or so rapidly inbreeding idiots.

I don't like to quote the Nazi's all that much, but to call this lot "useless eaters" would be high praise indeed, compared to what they ought to be called.

In the Heath Ledger thread (link), a certain "religious" group was mentioned.

In the maelstrom of unnecessary information we're bombarded with every day, stuff like this gets processed, then pushed out the other ear by the latest batch of inane drivel.

Read this (link), and weep for our country. Then be thankful that this group seems to have topped out at 100 or so rapidly inbreeding idiots.

I don't like to quote the Nazi's all that much, but to call this lot "useless eaters" would be high praise indeed, compared to what they ought to be called.

This is where the First Amendment make our Country great. I think all but those 100 people would agree with their message, but at least they have that right. That is what this great Country of ours sticks its neck out and gets blamed for a lot the worlds ills.

The thing with them is they ARE just idiots. One could call them hate mongers, but in their heads they truly believe they're doing good. I saw a special on them and they were just completely oblivious to the fact that they were hurting people. They thought that by showing up to funerals of fallen soldiers they were helping to spread a good message, that they were doing the surviving family and friends a favor.

As far as religious extremists go, I'll take these obnoxious idiots over those who think blowing themselves up in a crowded area will send them to heaven. That said, one of these days this group is going to piss off the wrong person and they'll have a lot more to fear than the "wrath of God".

The thing with them is they ARE just idiots. One could call them hate mongers, but in their heads they truly believe they're doing good. I saw a special on them and they were just completely oblivious to the fact that they were hurting people. They thought that by showing up to funerals of fallen soldiers they were helping to spread a good message, that they were doing the surviving family and friends a favor.

As far as religious extremists go, I'll take these obnoxious idiots over those who think blowing themselves up in a crowded area will send them to heaven. That said, one of these days this group is going to piss off the wrong person and they'll have a lot more to fear than the "wrath of God".

If that is the case then they need to be locked up for insanity. If I truly think mercy killing homeless people is "doing good", that makes me crazy and I need to be off the streets. I know what they are doing is not the same, but just because they think they are doing good does not make them any less crazy.

These people should not be allowed to protest at private functions like funerals and I hope they get what they deserve some time in the near future.

If that is the case then they need to be locked up for insanity. If I truly think mercy killing homeless people is "doing good", that makes me crazy and I need to be off the streets. I know what they are doing is not the same, but just because they think they are doing good does not make them any less crazy.

These people should not be allowed to protest at private functions like funerals and I hope they get what they deserve some time in the near future.

It's not only not the same, it's totally different. Killing and speaking out against something are two completely different things. They aren't causing physical harm. And I doubt they're actually AT the funerals, probably just outside the funeral home somewhere on public property where they, sadly, have the right to protest.

I'm not trying to defend these people, just pointing out that they are doing this with "good" intentions. I still hope someone torches their church with all the members inside someday though.

They are lawyers, and they're hoping that either a) someone denies them the right to protest, thereby infringing on their civil rights, or b) someone does serious physical damage to their property or their bodies. Either of these scenarios would result in a huge pay day.

I've also heard a theory that they're paid by left-wing radicals to make right-wing Christians look bad. Granted, it's a stretch, but who knows.

It's not only not the same, it's totally different. Killing and speaking out against something are two completely different things. They aren't causing physical harm. And I doubt they're actually AT the funerals, probably just outside the funeral home somewhere on public property where they, sadly, have the right to protest.

I'm not trying to defend these people, just pointing out that they are doing this with "good" intentions. I still hope someone torches their church with all the members inside someday though.

I'm pointing out that just because someone thinks they're doing good, doesn't mean that they have the right to do it.

How can these idiots be protected by the Constitution?

Last time I checked, hate speech and fighting words were not protected under the Constitution...

Definition of figting words... (per wikipedia)

The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as granted in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. In its 9-0 decision, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine and held that "insulting or 'fighting words', those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech [which] the prevention and punishment of...have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."

Seems to me that this speech could easily be contested in the Supreme Court. I guess I must be wrong though because I'm sure someone a ton smarter than me has already thought about it and decided that it's protected.

I've also heard a theory that they're paid by left-wing radicals to make right-wing Christians look bad. Granted, it's a stretch, but who knows.

This idea pops up whenever a far fringe group emerges and embarrasses a larger movement as a whole. The politics are reversed, but in principle the same conspiracy theory was floated re: the Symbionese Liberation Army; ie., they were created and controlled by the CIA in order to discredit the New Left.

At any rate, my favorite anti-Phelps site.

This is where the First Amendment make our Country great. I think all but those 100 people would agree with their message, but at least they have that right. That is what this great Country of ours sticks its neck out and gets blamed for a lot the worlds ills.

There is a right of the 1st Amendment, and than there is the denying the right of others to a peaceful funeral/memorial service. Remember the New Year automobile killing of 4 Maryland kids and their mother by a DWI driver in Ohio?

Memorial of lost

Wearing a head brace, Daniel Griffin Jr. stood in front of friends and relatives filling a Northeast Baltimore church yesterday to remember his wife, Bethany, and four children and stepchildren killed in an Ohio highway collision that police say was caused by a drunken driver.

The lives of Bethany L. Griffin, 36; Jordan Griffin, 10; Vadie Griffin, 8 weeks; Haley Burkman, 10; and Lacie Burkman, 7, were celebrated in a memorial service yesterday, as friends and family stood to share their memories.

Yesterday's memorial service was the scene of a demonstration by a group that was recently ordered to pay millions for protesting at the Westminster funeral of a soldier killed in Iraq.

Three members of the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, known for protests at military funerals, were demonstrating about a block from the church in the 7000 block of Harford Road.

The demonstrators said the deaths are God's retaliation against the community for the $11 million award by a jury in Baltimore against the Kansas group.

There is a right of the 1st Amendment, and than there is the denying the right of others to a peaceful funeral/memorial service. Remember the New Year automobile killing of 4 Maryland kids and their mother by a DWI driver in Ohio?

Memorial of lost

I did not say that I agree with the message that is delivered. It actually make me ill to think that people believe what they spew out of their uneducated brainwashed minds.

Obviously a jury found that they were causing an 'invasion of privacy and infliction of emotional distress', when they were found guilty and ordered to pay $11m to the family of Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder when they showed up at his funeral displaying "God Hates You" signs.

$11 Million Awarded in Funeral Protest Suit

I for one think governments intrude into too much of our lives, but not in this case.

As a result of the pickets, several state legislatures have passed bills restricting protests at funerals or tightening existing limits, and lawmakers in more than a dozen other states are considering such measures, the Associated Press said.

Memorial of lost

That was my church (though I don't think I knew any of the family), and as amusing as I find the idea of three people holding signs in the Rite-Aid parking lot across Harford Road (why where they across the street? Because NO ONE can cross Harford Road with its traffic! Or, insert your own "chicken" joke here), I would have loved to go over and express my freedom of speech by insulting them in every crude way possible. Preferably away from any press.

Oh, I don't think anyone would believe they are doing it with "good" intentions, even if they believe what they spew.

If they do, it means they are trying to shame and humiliate people into their point-of-view, which isn't good in any way.

That was my church (though I don't think I knew any of the family), and as amusing as I find the idea of three people holding signs in the Rite-Aid parking lot across Harford Road (why where they across the street? Because NO ONE can cross Harford Road with its traffic! Or, insert your own "chicken" joke here), I would have loved to go over and express my freedom of speech by insulting them in every crude way possible. Preferably away from any press.

I may be mistaken, but I believe a number of families are filing restraining orders to keep these kooks as far away from the actual location of funerals as legally possible.

Witchy