Sign in to follow this  
Il BuonO

Rosenthal via source: Burnett did, indeed, prefer the NL...

2yrs 28 mil. w/ 8 million deferred. Now if he decides to pitch in 2016, and wants to with the Orioles, and they want him back, then he would get all 8 mil. in 2016 with a 2 mil. signing bonus. If not, then the 8 mil. would be spread out over 4 yrs.

Yeah it's a close call but I think I'd go with Burnett. 2/25M with incentives to take it to 2/28M.

Well. I don't think Peter would pay that much. So I guess we won't get him.

I said it in the poll thread, 2/$20. I'll give credit once(if) it happens prior to Fanfest.

I don't think it's happening, but if we could get him at that price, it would be a steal.

Well. I don't think Peter would pay that much. So I guess we won't get him.

Tom Singer of mlb.com proposed the Pirates put together a larger one year package and defer some of the money. I think that works for us, too. PA has done that before, you think that has any chance?

Why does anyone think that Burnett can pass the O's physical for a two contract if Balfour could not?

I think PA had second thoughts and the other issues were....less than serious. Speculative but it wouldn't be the first time he nixed a deal. But you're right, heck, it probably stops us from getting him for one.

Tom Singer of mlb.com proposed the Pirates put together a larger one year package and defer some of the money. I think that works for us, too. PA has done that before, you think that has any chance?

I would be ok with deferring some of the money. Though I'm not sure that's worked out too well for the O's in the past. I think Belle's contract just ended in the past year or 2 and they still owe Bonilla through 2015.

I think PA had second thoughts and the other issues were....less than serious. Speculative but it wouldn't be the first time he nixed a deal. But you're right, heck, it probably stops us from getting him for one.

I am not sure the Angelos had anything to do with the Balfour situation other than supporting a long standing club rule that the O's doctors should weigh in on all O's signing. DD had gotten himself into a position that he couldn't challenge the doctors opinion because DD signed Wada for 8M and he never pitched for the O's, thus wasting 8M.

In Burnett case, his MRI has to be at least as bad as Balfour's. Buck seemed to indicate the O's would have done a one year deal with Balfour but Balfour held out for a two year contract. I think the O's will be OK with a one year deal with Burnett but if it takes 2 years, the O's doctors will likely stop that deal also.

In Burnett case, his MRI has to be at least as bad as Balfour's. Buck seemed to indicate the O's would have done a one year deal with Balfour but Balfour held out for a two year contract. I think the O's will be OK with a one year deal with Burnett but if it takes 2 years, the O's doctors will likely stop that deal also.

Thank you, Dr. Wildcard, for the medical speculation.

This isn't like trading for 30 year-old Scott Feldman, who had a little over 800 innings on his arm when we acquired him. Burnett is 37 with 2,350 innings on his arm. Add to that Burnett will cost the Orioles 6-7X what Feldman did or more. It doesn't matter that he's been a workhorse,only how many innings they reasonably project he'll be able to give going forward. Unless Pete Angelos is hearing the rumblings from another lackluster offseason, (which is what got us Sammy Sosa), it's a very safe bet he's not going to sign off on a $20+ million, two-year deal to a pitcher with as much mileage on his arm as Burnett.

You are welcome.

Burnett is 37, a year older than Balfour and here is his injury history. Also pretty close to the type and quantity of Balfour's injuries.

AJ Burnett's injury history:

2013 Missed 24 games with a strained calf muscle

2012 Missed 13 games with a fractured ordital bone while in bunting practice

2010 Missed 2 games with a back injury

2007 Missed 48 games with right shoulder injury

2006 Missed 79 games with right elbow injury

2005 Missed 5 games with elbow injury

2003-2004 Missed 192 games with Tommy John surgery

2002 Missed 24 games with right elbow injury

2001 Missed 29 games with a broken foot

Edited by wildcard

This isn't like trading for 30 year-old Scott Feldman, who had a little over 800 innings on his arm when we acquired him. Burnett is 37 with 2,350 innings on his arm. Add to that Burnett will cost the Orioles 6-7X what Feldman did or more. It doesn't matter that he's been a workhorse,only how many innings they reasonably project he'll be able to give going forward. Unless Pete Angelos is hearing the rumblings from another lackluster offseason, (which is what got us Sammy Sosa), it's a very safe bet he's not going to sign off on a $20+ million, two-year deal to a pitcher with as much mileage on his arm as Burnett.

What if he did though. Would you be ok with 2 years/20+ million?

You are welcome.

Burnett is 37, a year older than Balfour and here is his injury history. Also pretty close to the type and quantity of Balfour's injuries.

Interesting way to look at it. Back in 2005 when he was a free agent I was very concerned about his injury history. When he missed a lot of time in 2006-07 I am quite sure I wrote a number of posts in the nature of "told you so" aimed at the Blue Jays. I also thought his contract with the Yankees in 2009 was a huge overpay and very risky.

Right now, however, I see things a lot differently. First of all, Burnett's not looking for a five-year deal at TOR prices. Second of all, he's made 193 starts in the last six years (2008-13), and has averaged 200 IP per season. All pitchers are injury risks, and 37-year old pitchers certainly carry an above average amount of risk, but Burnett's track record the last six seasons is very good and I don't think 2 years is a huge risk for a guy who might win you 28-30 games and soak up 400 innings if things go well.

You are welcome.

I think the missed time since 2007 is a little misleading. He's made at least 30 starts for the past six years. If you think about it, a front end starter should make around 33 starts a season. Last year he made 30 starts, but he's listed to have missed 20+ games.