Slade-OH

2014 Orioles Spring Training Tracker

More Cuts: Prospects Tim Berry and Michael Ohlman optioned to AA. Brian Ward reassigned to minor league camp.

Spring Training roster down to 53

More cuts: Eddie Gamboa, Cord Phelps, and Julio Borbon have been reassigned to minor league camp.

ST roster down to 50. We still got 25 to go.

E-Rod cut. Potential is there but judging on his Spring performance he's still a couple years away. He'll likely make opening day start for Bowie.

Ivan De Jesus, Jr. also cut. He'll likely play SS at Norfolk.

Camp roster down to 47

According to Roch Kubatko, Buck is expected to announce the opening day starter in the next few days and Roch believes Tillman will get the nod over Ubaldo.

Yooooon finally made his Spring debut today, pitching a scoreless inning of relief against the Yanks. After the game, Roche Kubatko reported that the Orioles plan on having begin the season at AAA. He has been de-bolded from bubble status.

Roch reported that Peguero will have a brace on his wrist for the next to weeks and is a likely DL candidate which takes him out of the race for a bench spot on opening day.

Britton has seen his stock rise this Spring and looks like a potential weapon out of the bullpen if he can keep showing consistent command of a mid 90's sinker. Considering he's out of options, I'm upgrading him to lock status. The only way he isn't on the opening day roster is if he's traded.

The Orioles announced after today's game that Johnny Monell has been optioned to AAA where I'd presume he will handle the everyday catching duties.

This news makes Steve Clevenger the clear favorite to head North as the team's backup catcher. He's not a lock yet as the O's are exploring alternative options outside the organization.

Xavier Paul was also re-assigned to minor league camp this afternoon.

As expected, Yoon has been optioned to AAA. He's behind schedule and still acclimating to the U.S. game so it makes sense to have him build up some innings at AAA for a month or so and then go from there based on how he progresses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Negative feedback loop. Last off-season they rubbed their fanbase off with their lack of moves and $$$ saving.  Then they lose 2,000 fans a game this past year. Will lose more this year probably. They never fully recovered from blowing it up in the early 2000s. Fans left in droves then and never fully came back. Of course part of that is Cleveland is a city in decline too.
    • It's all about stadiums and quality of the facilities. Harry Grove isn't up to snuff as much compared to Bowie or Norfolk. Also the reason why Hagerstown will go way of the dodo as well. It would cost a fortune that Frederick City or County would never pay to upgrade Harry Grove to meet the standard, or whoever has to pick up that tab in the lease agreement. That and Frederick doesn't make any $ because Ziedelis just tells Ken Young what he wants to hear and is a total kissass while the team loses $ every year. Same with Bowie but bowie has a better stadium in terms of being on par with MLB's requirements. The whole "PAY THE MINOR LEAGUERS" campaign was going to resolve in teams being cut because MLB profits would be effected in a big scale and how shrewd MLB is with costs and revenue historically. I called this a year ago in a baseball discord server and it sucks that I'm right. A "livable wage" (if one exists) would only be paid to minor leaguers if teams were cut in predominantly rust belt, more expensive or poorer areas with lacking facilities, and look where we are. Hopefully a resolution passes and hopefully MiLB and MLB will solve this and keep everyone happy, but I highly doubt that happens. As someone who grew up at Harry Grove as a kid, that's going to really suck seeing the keys fold or go to an independent league. Such is the nature of the beast I suppose.    What'll be interesting I suppose is to see how Manfred looks and acts during this debate because apparently the players and owners might go in for extended talks come 2021 when the CBA expires. This is going to show the players how much they can push against this current Commisioner versus what they could push for with Selig. With that being said, it's looking like Manfred will be going in guns blazing and just wanting his way. The thought that lower minor league teams will have to scout and develop their own talent like they did almost 100 years ago proves how cyclical history is.    For further reading, here's a baseball America article going into detail on what we could be seeing, how the agreement with MiLB works, etc. I have work in the morning and need sleep.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-threat-pushes-negotiations-with-milb-to-another-level/
    • Does the team need both Meleeski and Roch?  Seems they could save some money on cutting one of them.
    • I doubt they sell many of these opening day plans.  
    • We will be picking at end of first round.  I dont think picking for need is smart.  We picked need for Elam and Permian and how did that work out.  Pick the best player as injuries always happen. You can always sign a free agent for needs.
    • Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  
    • I think the shorter DL is a factor, but long DL stints seem to me up as well.    I thought about trying to break down how many stints there were of different lengths, but perhaps that’s a project for another day.
  • Popular Contributors