Sign in to follow this  
OrangeJerseys

Happy Birthday Steady Eddie!

I say that whoever sets the record for total RBIs by a switch hitter is worthy of all the praise he got and a lot more.  So he was an introvert, I always said that he let his bat do the talking, and talk it did.  He should not have been held to a different standard than any other Oriole, period.  When the topic comes up as to my favorite Oriole, that is easy.  It is the person who hit 3 run homers and won ball games from both sides of the plate for years. 

• Upvote 1

Eddie bartended and served me a beer at Flying Dog Brewing about a year and three weeks ago on that Orioles' Caravan weekend or whatever it was called.

It is my favorite memory of 2020.

I can't believe he is 65.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Eddie bartended and served me a beer at Flying Dog Brewing about a year and three weeks ago on that Orioles' Caravan weekend or whatever it was called.

It is my favorite memory of 2020.

I can't believe he is 65.

Eddie was a major leaguer when I was six, so I always saw him as being much older than me, clearly a different generation.  But 65 doesn't seem that much older than 49.

• Upvote 1

Eddie had my earliest 79/80/81 memories to get bonded before that newfangled Ripken guy entered the picture, and that one never got too close in my heart, especially in comparison to many of my grade school buddies who only got to baseball at like 10 not 6, and were 100% Cal guys.

Just Regular is a preference i share with him about lots of stuff in life.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1995-06-20-sp-14951-story.html

When he became the first position player to receive a $1-million salary in 1979, he bought a gold necklace that said, “Just Regular.”

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Eddie was a major leaguer when I was six, so I always saw him as being much older than me, clearly a different generation.  But 65 doesn't seem that much older than 49.

He's a year older than me, but I worshipped him the same way a 6-year old would.   I'm still pretty childish that way.   I have to remind myself that I have a kid the same age as Trey Mancini.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Reason enough for me to value RBIs still.

Union Craft Brewing Steady Eddie Ipa 6 Pack Cans

That beer is awesome! Never seen it before.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He's a year older than me, but I worshipped him the same way a 6-year old would.   I'm still pretty childish that way.   I have to remind myself that I have a kid the same age as Trey Mancini.    

Eddie is my all time favorite Oriole, so you won’t hear any complaints from me. 

I remember seeing Eddie once in a pharmacy, when I was a kid and I was in awe. Also remembered he was driving a Corvette. 

I still think he played Matt “Guitar” Murphy in the Blues Brothers.  But the credits say Matt Murphy played Matt Murphy.  Watch it again and tell me it’s not Eddie.  
Now waiting for Corn to post “it’s not Eddie”.😀

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are soccer players debuting with some of the English teams I follow at 16 or 17 in some cup competitions.  I think soccer players may peak earlier than baseball players, and they also don't have MLB's peculiar free agency system that incentivizes keeping players in the minors.  My oldest kid is 14, so almost the same age.  My kid seems far, far removed from being on his own as a professional athlete.

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Eddie is my all time favorite Oriole, so you won’t hear any complaints from me. 

I remember seeing Eddie once in a pharmacy, when I was a kid and I was in awe. Also remembered he was driving a Corvette. 

Eddie had some of the most 70s hair ever, and a C2 Corvette may be the most 70s car.

5 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Eddie Murray mid-swing is the lock screen photo on my phone. 

And I don’t like IPAs, but that is one fine-looking can of beer above. 

Aren't they all IPAs now?  It's almost like the Blues Brothers scene at the honky tonk bar, where they play both kinds of music, country and western.  You go to a bar today and they have regular IPAs, and also really bitter IPAs. 

• Upvote 1

My younger brother Scott was a Baltimore city police officer then for years was a police officer in Nc and is retiring tomorrow..in college, he played for Billy Hunter at Towson  and was the college media guy...to make a long story short , Floyd Rayford became a friend and Eddie too really liked my brother..so my nephew got Eddie on Cameo to do a retirement greeting for him

Happy Birthday to Eddie Eddie the MAN! 

Hey check out this Cameo video! 😊 https://v.cameo.com/e/O4lBKojwaeb

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Aren't they all IPAs now?  It's almost like the Blues Brothers scene at the honky tonk bar, where they play both kinds of music, country and western.  You go to a bar today and they have regular IPAs, and also really bitter IPAs. 

Worst of all, I often have an allergic reaction to many hoppy / dry beers (and also dry wines). I don’t know what causes it, as I haven’t been willing to spend thousands to find out exactly why, but lagers are safe so I stick with those. I was so excited for the beer revolution in the US that really kicked in about 20 years ago, but am constantly amazed how you can walk into a bar with 30 microbrews on draft and there will be only one or two that aren’t IPAs. 

• Upvote 1