FollyFollyToo

Turn left on yellow, please!

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I CAN'T STAND IT when I'm behind a car in the left-turn-only lane, or any lane permitted to make left turns, and the car in front of me refuses to turn when the light turns from yellow to red and the oncoming cars have stopped. There are a precious few seconds before the traffic on the other road gets a green light, and when people do this, it causes the left lane to get backed up way more than it needs to be. Now, I'm no traffic instructor, and I'd even be willing to guess that the MVA doesn't condone turning on red, but if you get your car way out into the intersection you would HAVE to turn so as to avoid the traffic coming from the sides. I probably didn't even do a good job of describing exactly what I'm talking about, but it feels good getting it out nonetheless.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I CAN'T STAND IT when I'm behind a car in the left-turn-only lane, or any lane permitted to make left turns, and the car in front of me refuses to turn when the light turns from yellow to red and the oncoming cars have stopped. There are a precious few seconds before the traffic on the other road gets a green light, and when people do this, it causes the left lane to get backed up way more than it needs to be. Now, I'm no traffic instructor, and I'd even be willing to guess that the MVA doesn't condone turning on red, but if you get your car way out into the intersection you would HAVE to turn so as to avoid the traffic coming from the sides. I probably didn't even do a good job of describing exactly what I'm talking about, but it feels good getting it out nonetheless.

I was taught to go out into the middle of the intersection and turn once the cars stop coming, even if it turns red.

You still make left turns from the left hand lane? Laughable. Get in the right lane (especially if it is supposed to merge left). Then cut off everyone making your turn.

No, I see what you're saying. It bothers me too.

You still make left turns from the left hand lane? Laughable. Get in the right lane (especially if it is supposed to merge left). Then cut off everyone making your turn.

No, I see what you're saying. It bothers me too.

In December, I was on a road with two left turn lanes. I was on the inside lane, but the guy in front of me in the outside lane decided to make a u-turn right in front of me and cut me off (did I mention it was pouring rain?). I barely, I mean just barely slammed on the brakes in time. That guy was an idiot.

In December, I was on a road with two left turn lanes. I was on the inside lane, but the guy in front of me in the outside lane decided to make a u-turn right in front of me and cut me off (did I mention it was pouring rain?). I barely, I mean just barely slammed on the brakes in time. That guy was an idiot.

Anyone who does that should have their license revoked.

I was taught to go out into the middle of the intersection and turn once the cars stop coming, even if it turns red.

I'm pretty sure this is completely legal too. It's what I was taught in driver's ed...

I'm pretty sure this is completely legal too. It's what I was taught in driver's ed...

It would be ridiculous if it wasn't - you're out of the intersection long before you would be blocking any oncoming traffic, and it helps relieve left turn lane congestion. I can think of quite a few intersections where, if it weren't for this maneuver, a left turn would literally be impossible.

Anyone who does that should have their license revoked.

To paraphrase Richard from Tommy Boy, "Anyone who doesn't know not to make a U-turn from the outside turning lane, just ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you're a *retard*."

Yeah, but then a lot of times there are signs put up that say "don't block the intersection". So who really knows?

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. But there are many, many folks driving around on the streets of Baltimore that refuse to go out in the middle of the intersection while waiting to turn, and therefore don't make the turn once the light turns red, thereby ruining my day.

I have no problem with that car turning left on the yellow. I have a major problem with the 2-3 cars behind him that follow straight through significantly after the light turns red. (They're more important, dontchaknow.)

OMG, i hate this, too.

The worst is when you're behind the idiot in line and they don't pull out into the intersection so you can have a chance to get through the light.

Then all of a sudden a second after the light turns yellow the idiot decides it'd be a good time to go...

...and you can't make it. :(

You can only do this in an unprotected LH turn (no arrows, just a ball) I believe and it has to be green when you venture out into the intersection...

OMG, i hate this, too.

The worst is when you're behind the idiot in line and they don't pull out into the intersection so you can have a chance to get through the light.

Then all of a sudden a second after the light turns yellow the idiot decides it'd be a good time to go...

...and you can't make it. :(

Even worse, some people seem to be afraid of turning left unless they have the green arrow. I have to deal with an intersection like this everytime I come home from Rockville, and I'll be behind someone in the turn lane, looking at the green light, looking at the opposing traffic and seeing NO CARS, and then sit and wait because the jackass in front of me is too scared of going through the intersection. Maybe it's because they can't see around the car in the opposite turn lane, but that problem could easily be avoided by pulling out into the f'ing intersection like you mentioned.

People complain about aggressive drivers a lot, and I agree they are a problem. But I think the cause of aggressive drivers are what I call passive drivers - people who are careful to a fault when driving, thus slowing traffic down and leaving people like me utterly pissed off.