FollyFollyToo

Turn left on yellow, please!

You can only do this in an unprotected LH turn (no arrows, just a ball) I believe and it has to be green when you venture out into the intersection...

That would make sense, but I'm 100% sure no cop will ever pull you over for doing this :D

You can only do this in an unprotected LH turn (no arrows, just a ball) I believe and it has to be green when you venture out into the intersection...

In general, you can enter an intersection on a yellow. That's the half the point of having yellow to begin with (along with warning other people further back to get ready to stop). Otherwise, the light would go directly from green to red and, oops, you're suddenly guilty even though you had no chance to stop.

So, yes, you can enter the intersection on a yellow, provided the cop does not perceive you doing it in a reckless and dangerous fashion. Once you're in the intersection, then you can-and-should proceed out of the intersection ASAP. Otherwise you're just a bumper-car accident waiting to happen.

In general, you can enter an intersection on a yellow. That's the half the point of having yellow to being with (along with warning other people further back to get ready to stop). Otherwise, the light would go directly from green to red and, oops, you're suddenly guilty even though you had no chance to stop.

So, yes, you can enter the intersection on a yellow, provided the cop does not perceive you doing it in a reckless and dangerous fashion. Once you're in the intersection, then you can-and-should proceed out of the intersection ASAP. Otherwise you're just a bumper-car accident waiting to happen.

I believe that's the way the traffic lights are in England. There's a yellow warning when the light is about to go from red to green.

In general, you can enter an intersection on a yellow. That's the half the point of having yellow to being with (along with warning other people further back to get ready to stop). Otherwise, the light would go directly from green to red and, oops, you're suddenly guilty even though you had no chance to stop.

Right but your best chance is entering when you are in a green phase, because if you start entering when it is yellow, and then changes to red while you are still entering the intersection yet planning on turning, a cop might pull you over and say you went through a red light - I know because it's happened to me, luckily the guy had nothing to do so I just got a warning. :rolleyes: Still to avoid being pulled over, I wouldn't enter the intersection unless it's green...

And I'm the guy who gets to design these intersections... :cool:

I believe that's the way the traffic lights are in England. There's a yellow warning when the light is about to go from red to green.

Yep, and it's a good idea too. People don't just sit there like morons for a few sec's after it turns green, they just get up and go right away, because they know it's coming. An added benefit is that it removes part of the lag that helps idiots think they can run red lights without causing a problem.

Guys, we're talking Baltimore drivers here.

Is there really any more commentary needed?

Yup and we end up cutting a bunch out of their cars every summer, all for the sake of saving what 1 - 2 min. off their drive time:rolleyes: .

A long long time ago, I was taught in driver ed that you pull partially into the intersection when making a left turn. That helps you get a better look at oncoming traffic and gives you the opportunity to make that left-on-yellow-turning-red and get out of the way.

I, personally, am very hesitant to turn left on yellows due to jack-wads in oncoming traffic who feel compelled to run the yellow light. I don’t need to be T-boned by some dip***** who can’t wait a couple minutes for the traffic signals to cycle through until they get a green again.

Witchy

I have no problem with that car turning left on the yellow. I have a major problem with the 2-3 cars behind him that follow straight through significantly after the light turns red. (They're more important, dontchaknow.)

This is often a major cause of traffic jams downtown when the cops aren't directing it. What's worse is when they decide to go, but your light turns green, and the people who turned on orange (sometimes, like you said, 3 cars deep) are stuck because a light further up is red, and so you just sit there.

I know that sometimes I get nervous because you NEVER know who is gonna try and floor it through the yellow light on the other side, when you may think they're going to stop.

What about people who don't pull up far enough to the stop line in turn lanes, therefore the censor doesn't pick them up? So you sit behind them while you get skipped at that light 2 or 3 times, before you get pissed off and skip out into the next lane.

I, personally, am very hesitant to turn left on yellows due to jack-wads in oncoming traffic who feel compelled to run the yellow light. I don’t need to be T-boned by some dip***** who can’t wait a couple minutes for the traffic signals to cycle through until they get a green again.

That's why you simply wait until everyone's slowed down to a point where it's obvious they're about to come to a complete stop. Not that hard.

This is often a major cause of traffic jams downtown when the cops aren't directing it. What's worse is when they decide to go, but your light turns green, and the people who turned on orange (sometimes, like you said, 3 cars deep) are stuck because a light further up is red, and so you just sit there.

Oh man, are we bringing another color into this?!

Man, don't even get me started on blocking the box.

Guys, we're talking Baltimore drivers here.

Is there really any more commentary needed?

Truer words were never spoken, caped crusader.

We call 'em Baltimorons for a reason...largely for their poor driving!

My least favorite things? Switching lanes with your horn instead of your turn signal and speeding up to not let you in the moment you signal to switch lanes. :rolleyes: