Roy Firestone

Lets sign E. Santana

Options are certainly dwindling. At the price we would be interested (3/30 or thereabouts) Seattle and Toronto would also probably jump back in. So I still think the odds are that he ends up somewhere else when he comes down from his 4-year demands, I'm not ruling anything out.

Certainly the Orioles provide a better chance to win on paper than Toronto or Seattle. Seattle provides the best park. Seattle has added fellow Dominicans Cano and Rodney this offseason. The O's have added countrymen Jimenez and Cruz just in the last two weeks.

Still hard to handicap, but I don't think he really wants to wait much longer.

Valid point, but I'm not sure his other reported suitors; NY, TEX, TOR etc are any better in that regard.

Agree with this. In addition we have a few pluses that should appeal to a pitcher looking to build his value. He will be pitching to one of the better catchers in baseball. Arguably one of THE BEST defensive teams behind him and I also don't think run support should be to much of an issue. Finally I have read it on here before that OPACY is not the worst for being hitter friendly.

I would offer him a 1 year base of 10-12M with incentives that could bring it into the 15-17M+ area.

Unsure how to copy and paste a twitter link but FWIW:

@MaxWildsteinMLB: Source: #Orioles are the front runners for P Ervin Santana, as they could get deal done this week and it doesn't seem like he'll wait it out

@MaxWildsteinMLB: Source: #Orioles front office has coveted him for a while and love the durability, they loved Ubaldo's durability and Ervin is more durable

@MaxWildsteinMLB: Source: P Ervin Santana's agency (Performance) wants 4 years, if #Orioles want him they might go to 4 like they did with P Ubaldo Jimenez

• Upvote 1

Saw these as well. I don't see any way the O's go 4 years on Ervin. I would be shocked.

Agreed on not going 4 years. If o's are bidding against themselves , And have offered in the 3/30+ range, DD won't go 4 years if there is no other real suitor out there for Ervin.

I hope we get it done for 3 years.

Saw these as well. I don't see any way the O's go 4 years on Ervin. I would be shocked.

Would you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love pitching but just don't see the big upgrade. I like both Norris and Gonzo. 6-man rotation?

I love pitching but just don't see the big upgrade. I like both Norris and Gonzo. 6-man rotation?

Gonzo should be ahead of Chen on the depth chart, IMO. And I like Chen as a fifth starter. Fewer innings, less wear/tear. Norris as a closer would also be nice.

That said, anything more than 3/27ish for Santana at this point would be...shocking. Where's the money coming from?

That is the correct question.

Not a name I recognize. I hope he's right though.

3 for $30M and 3rd round pick is EZ call.

Can't wait for the second-guessing about who we pick in the 4th round!

Who is Max Wildstein?

Has an MLB Blog called Outside Pitch MLB.

Looks like he had Johan news a bit early. Obviously take FWIW . OH friend Andrew rickli retweeted him.

In a vacuum, four years is justifiable. I just think people don't think the O's would go there because of our rules, our budget and the seeming lack of strength in the negotiation that Santana has.

Ervin Santana has the age and performance to warrant a 4-year deal from some team. If it's the O's, I wouldn't be bothered by it.

If they sign him, we are looking at a possible rotation for the next several years of

Gausman

Bundy

Tillman

Jimenez

Santana

Is that our optimal 5? Is that the Cavalry? Would it finally be here?