Roy Firestone

Lets sign E. Santana

There sure is a lot of smoke out there regarding the Orioles and Santana, from the truly reputable like Heyman and Connolly, to the nebulous like the OutsidePitchMLB guy that is affiliated with a legit site, but nobody has ever heard of, to the truly weird like Santana quoting Weaver and following local Baltimore sports folks on twitter and Adam Jones following Santana.

This is still one I'll have to see to believe, but there is a lot more smoke around the Orioles than any other team.

I agree. I think Boras is dropping the Orioles name to the media due to their recent activity. That would explain a lot of the smoke.

I agree. I think Boras is dropping the Orioles name to the media due to their recent activity. That would explain a lot of the smoke.

Boras does not represent Santana.

FWIW...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rival exec believes a deal between <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and P Ervin Santana will get done for around 3yr-$36 million, including an option for a 4th year</p>— Max Wildstein (@MaxWildsteinMLB) <a href="

">March 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FWIW...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rival exec believes a deal between <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> and P Ervin Santana will get done for around 3yr-$36 million, including an option for a 4th year</p>— Max Wildstein (@MaxWildsteinMLB) <a href="

Surprising someone else isn't at least rumored to be in the mix at 3/36.

FWIW...

If that happens, OPACY should be packed for every game.

FWIW...

Why in the world would rival execs believe that unless they were also in the running for Santana? In that case, why would they leak this to the press?

From what I can tell about Wildstein and reading through his timeline, he seems like a step above Rickli. And the site he writes for, OutsidePitchMLB is an official affiliate of the MLBlogs Network, which is the same network, for example, that Britt's blog exists on.

So I don't believe that he is completely pulling things out of thin air.

From what I can tell about Wildstein and reading through his timeline, he seems like a step above Rickli. And the site he writes for, OutsidePitchMLB is an official affiliate of the MLBlogs Network, which is the same network, for example, that Britt's blog exists on.

So I don't believe that he is completely pulling things out of thin air.

I don't, either. But at the same time, I'm skeptical about the quality and reliability of his "sources."

Why in the world would rival execs believe that unless they were also in the running for Santana? In that case, why would they leak this to the press?

Eh, there are a lot of reasons that a rival exec could possibly know or believe something like that. Maybe they have a connection to Santana or his agents through past relationships or negotiations.

Obviously everyone should take anything from Wildstein with a GIANT GRAIN OF SALT until you hear something from a more known reliable entity. Despite the fact that he seems semi-legit, he could just as easily be the next Andrew Rickli as he could be the next Chris Cotillo.

I don't, either. But at the same time, I'm skeptical about the quality and reliability of his "sources."

What throws me off the most is that he looks like a teenager (at most) in his twitter picture.

I'm all for 3/36 and a team option.

Tillman

Ubaldo

Ervin

Chen

Johan/M gonzo/Gausman

Eh, there are a lot of reasons that a rival exec could possibly know or believe something like that. Maybe they have a connection to Santana or his agents through past relationships or negotiations.

Obviously everyone should take anything from Wildstein with a GIANT GRAIN OF SALT until you hear something from a more known reliable entity. Despite the fact that he seems semi-legit, he could just as easily be the next Andrew Rickli as he could be the next Chris Cotillo.

Where are all these high school and college kids getting their sources from? Boggles my mind they all have between 10 any 20 thousand twitter followers and can't legally drink a beer but have "inside sources".

What throws me off the most is that he looks like a teenager (at most) in his twitter picture.

I'm all for 3/36 and a team option.

Tillman

Ubaldo

Ervin

Chen

Johan/M gonzo/Gausman

I would certainly feel comfortable signing Santana for that deal. I just don't fully trust this rumor.

Getting a guy who has average 6.5 innings/start and 32 starts/year over the past 4 years would be huge.

Edited by VeveJones007

Where are all these high school and college kids getting their sources from? Boggles my mind they all have between 10 any 20 thousand twitter followers and can't legally drink a beer but have "inside sources".

I think it's definitely a by-product of the twitter/blogging era. If you can get attached to a semi-legit blog you get a little bit of cred. Then pay your way to the Winter Meetings and spend 18 hours a day in the lobby talking to anyone who will listen.