oldbird

Orioles in 1st place

17-9 since starting the season 2-5. With all the injuries, inconsistent offense, and starters that can't go deep in games, I'm being cautiously optimistic about how good this team will be once they get it all together.

17-9 since starting the season 2-5. With all the injuries, inconsistent offense, and starters that can't go deep in games, I'm being cautiously optimistic about how good this team will be once they get it all together.

Me too Bud. And not so cautiously.

We haven't played a game yet with all of our starting position players on the field at the same time. So 19-14 is pretty satisfactory. That's a 93-win pace.

Funny you should mention good ol 93 wins... take a look at our 1-run record (8-3) and extra inning record (3-0). Deja vu?

THE SHERIFF DOES IT! Brewers walk off

Did you watch it? Loved the bunt attempt on the first pitch. :P

Did you watch it? Loved the bunt attempt on the first pitch. :P

Yup it's was great!

Only the second sellout this year as an FYI.

It's May and the weather hasn't been great. If they can stay competitive there should be a bump up from last year.

ORIOLES .....20-16

YANKEES ..... 19-18

RED SOX 19-18

BLUE JAYS0.. 19-20

D-RAYS........16-23

What is wrong with the East?

• Upvote 1

ORIOLES .....20-16

YANKEES ..... 19-18

RED SOX 19-18

BLUE JAYS0.. 19-20

D-RAYS........16-23

What is wrong with the East?

I think the Yanks are in trouble, Nova out for season, CC on DL. A lot of pitching issues and their lineup has some holes. The Solarte kid can't keep this up. I flipped on MLB Network after the game and they showed Texiera barely being able to run the bases yesterday. Boston worries me the most because they haven't got their bats going yet. I thought all along they had too much go right for them to match last year and going with some young kids hasn't helped. I still think they are better offensively than what they have showed. I hope Tampa just keeps digging a hole. I have too much repsect for them to think they are finished but they have a lot of pitching issues, their lineup to me has always been up and down. Toronto is the real wildcard here. I have doubts about their pitching like most but they can hit. I think the Red Sox are the most complete team of the bunch. Injuries have impacted this division a lot.

We just have to hope we can get our bats going sooner than later. Our rotation needs to stay healthy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Makes you wonder why they even bothered doing it.
    • Either I've done a poor job of making my point about the orioles' view of the camp at Bowie in 2020 or you have missed the point completely.  Either way, there is no point continuing this, as  it is clear that you have your mind made up that everyone will be assigned to their 2019 levels.  That's fine, you are welcome to your opinion.
    • I like things to be factually accurate.    I don't think Daiz would be a good target for an early, below market extension.
    • You missed my point. Traditional counting stats may not show actual skill or ability in a way that a deeper look might. Maybe a player's slugging is impeded by the home stadium?  Maybe the ball used in the majors would benefit a player with a good launch angle?  Maybe a player gets called out on borderline pitches that ML umps won't miss?  Maybe it is something as simple as an unlucky BABIP.  You going to not promote a guy because his slash line is poor when his BABIP is 220?
    • Context. He hit very well in spells in Bowie, but tended to get hurt and start slowly when he came back. So,  his cumulative stats MAY not be an indicator of his true talent. Additionally, the coaches/management see him and have the modern equipment to better evaluate that question (e.g., his true talent, expected future performance) than "old" stats like batting average in the context of injuries might indicate. With that said, I'm not convinced that his true talent actually matches his original hype when signed by the Dodgers or traded to the O's. Tony's write-ups raise serious questions in that regard, so I don't think you're wrong to want to see some performance before promoting him. But I suspect the people you're arguing with in this thread actually agree about that point.
    • Bananas are yellow right?       https://www.crayola.com/explore-colors/banana-mania.aspx  
    • So, by your post above, you agree that the Iglesias trade does fit into what we'd expect Elias to be doing ("building inventory"), correct? As for free agents, I can imagine him wanting to spend BIG in a place where he might not think we have answers during a competitive period. So at SS or 2B, for example, I'd expect he might hold off on a big name guy because he might think we have our own big name guys 2-3 years away, so the paying part wouldn't make sense re: a competitive team. Same for 3B, outfield, catcher and even pitcher. I honestly think that 90% of what he's doing is consistent with what I would expect him to do given a complete rebuild. The one part I agree with is the opportunity to take on bigger contracts in exchange for more prospects. I too wish we'd go that route. I think the next level example of that is signing a guy like Cobb (e.g., more expensive than Iglesias) and hoping for performance so you can trade him. I think the cost/risk equation there gets a little out of hand though. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now